Galaxy Defenders» Forums » Variants

Subject: Xeno-Hunter as infiltrator rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joey madscientist
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
So, before mission 5 I decided to just call a spade a spade and labeled our good friend XH as an infiltrator. It just seems to make so much logical sense. He can now share those class restricted items and he really operates as one anyway. It just made more sense than him being "generic." Has anyone else done this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same thoughts actually. It totally makes sense in my opinion too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the reason that the Xeno-hunter is a generic agent is exactly to prevent him from having access to class-specific items and skills (which are generally the most powerful in the game). His special ability and secondary weapon make him a pretty deadly agent already, so treating him as an infiltrator might result in things being a bit unbalanced.

Then again, the game can be brutally difficult, so if you're having more fun with him as an infiltrator I say knock yourself out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbalanced could happen easily - But thematically I feel he is a great fit. The Satellite strike is the most powerful device he would get and that is sort of a cool thought that his ship is orbiting the planet and raining down some serious firepower. But even that attack could miss if the aliens activate at the end of his turn and move before the strike happens. Potential could go either way here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leandro Ferreira
Brazil
flag msg tools
I don't have the game with me now, but I think that is not how sattlite strike works (it would be very bad) iirc it deals damage whenever you trigger it, and at the end of that BATTLE phase it destroys signals, isn't it?

On that subject, xenohunter starts with weapons that are already equivalent to improved weapons and his defense ability is pretty solid.
Preventing him from getting access to clas skills and devices is pretty much a balance issue for sure, so it should be avoided, but if you want to its your game after all.

You could probably allow him to get stellite strike, as it is an important tool, and in case he is indeed replacing an infiltrator it could be missed by not having an actual infiltrator, but allowing him to get class skills and weapons can go overboard really fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
God points - And I don't have the game in front of me either but on Page 25 of the downloadable rulebook they display the Satellite Strike. My example above is how we interpreted it last game - but maybe I am mistaken. It says:

"AREA DAMAGE
Attack target area at the
end of the battle phase.
Destroy all signals
in the area.
Cannot be used to
target enclosed spaces."

Then there was also this article that made me think we were doing it right - http://www.aresgames.eu/10550 .

"Other example refers to the last subject we will talk about in this article: Satellite Strike, a device used exclusively by the Infiltrator. This orbital attack hits all the aliens in the chosen area with 8 red dice at the end of the Battle phase. Using this device in the beginning of the Battle phase could turn out to be a strategic error, as the Aliens may move during the round. Instead, if the Alpha Agent is selected so the Infiltrator is the last agent in the round, she will have the chance to use the Satellite Strike to precisely hit the alien targets, since the attack is resolved with only one Close Encounter card remaining to be drawn (as the last agent in the round, there will be only one alien turn)."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would love to see is a skill for the Xeno Hunter that will mimic the satellite strike, but can only be used when he is bleeding out and causes friendly fire, even if that rule is not being used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
What I would love to see is a skill for the Xeno Hunter that will mimic the satellite strike, but can only be used when he is bleeding out and causes friendly fire, even if that rule is not being used.

heh Good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey madscientist
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
You guys are probably right and this probably does make him a little god like in the scenario I ran him through as an infiltrator. I'm starting to wonder if I need to downgrade him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, there are some generic improved and alien weapons, so he's not completely out of luck in those departments either.

That GD Shield is amazing and helped one of my games incredibly because Titanium kept bashing (and pushing away) the Spine Critter that seemed to constantly be moving to base him. It was mission 3 where the objective was to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
search for alien tech fragments in the rooms. And that couldn't happen unless the agent was disengaged

*In case anyone wants to be surprised by mission objectives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that the sat strike only hits at the end of the battle phase (not only for signals, but for all aliens), I am not sure if player order matters. So far I've played it that it triggers at the end of the battle phase of the current player, not at the end of all battle phases. Now the article seems to imply this second interpretation, but then, the skill might have been changed in playtests. Sat strike is hard enough to perform as is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a really good way of working it Karl. We played it at the end of everyones turn strategically because we thought we had to, but I think that this is a valid point and still allows that 1 turn for alien movement as a chance they may escape the 8 dice of impending doom - which is pretty well what we were doing anyways. It definitely simplifies some of the strategy on the players end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the reference card, it does seem to be a bit foggy. However, I would say that Refresh, Strategy, Battle and Event are all written in the blue text so each of those is a phase. Anything listed afterwards is what happens in that phase. So during the battle phase, we have agent turn and alien turn.

Here's the rulebook entry on pg 13.

Quote:
During the Battle phase, each operative player sequentially plays [as active player] his agent turn and then one aliens turn. After that, the play passes to the next player.

So, a Battle phase consists of each player's turn and corresponding alien turns. Satellite Strike says to attack target area at the end of the Battle phase so it should be happening after all agents have resolved their respective turn and alien turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It says battle (for each operative player). So 'a' battle phase is over in my opionion. But I'd really like some official statement here.

However, in the rules it says "during the battle phase each player takes a turn..." so this would hint that it is considered one phase and not one/player. Hrrmmm... Imho this makes the infiltrator too weak as its only real benefit is the sat strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
It says battle (for each operative player). So 'a' battle phase is over in my opionion. But I'd really like some official statement here.

However, in the rules it says "during the battle phase each player takes a turn..." so this would hint that it is considered one phase and not one/player. Hrrmmm... Imho this makes the infiltrator too weak as its only real benefit is the sat strike.

And the freedom from being targeted until she is based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
? Her stealth ability? Very much useless as either aliens reach her by the [+] rule or as you want to get stuff done (remember - you are a melee character) and by that you loose stealth. It thematic, but I usally replace it with nano barrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kilrah wrote:
? Her stealth ability? Very much useless as either aliens reach her by the [+] rule or as you want to get stuff done (remember - you are a melee character) and by that you loose stealth. It thematic, but I usally replace it with nano barrier.

It is situational. In the first mission, if the Hulk stays 1 area away from the last TP (and thus always be the target for alien AI), the infiltrator can set-up so she can rush in and take the TP down without getting tied up.

In the 3rd mission, there are so many rooms/walls, that aliens will more than likely be using {+} or {0}, so yeah...stealth is not going to help her much there.

Later in the game, when you get the Laser Gun, it can replace her secondary weapon and she can now hide behind the Hulk and take pot-shots with little worry about getting based (things like Arachnos that move 3 spaces with {+} could be an issue, but only if the Hulk has less wounds than she does).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.