Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Jeong
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After hearing about Skulls and Roses and having trouble finding a copy, my group and I played the game with a deck of cards and absolutely loved the bluffing aspect. I was wondering if there were any similar fun, light and quick games were that can be played with a standard deck of cards.

My main problem with games like Cheat and Big Two are that they're horrendously monotone and solitary while Skulls and Roses felt like it had flavour and simplicity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas Hold 'em
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoons. Although I prefer the variation where you stick out your tongue instead because it's much more subtle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actual card games:

Hearts
Spades
Cribbage (I quite like it 4 player as well as 2)

Other games:

The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pitch

My all-time favorite card game for 2-6 players, depending upon the variation. I've played this for almost 60 years, including this past weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Hell!
or check out this thread of a great collection of little games. I especially like Paparazzi.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/942367/so-heres-ten-game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Smith
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if there is an auction game playable with a standard deck of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Euchre is pretty fantastic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Lavarnway
United States
Horseheads
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love Letter. Just print out a few cheat sheets with the card abilities, and use a joker as the fifth guard. I also alternate red and black suits for each rank. You can also use face cards for points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeong
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oooo I never thought of Love Letter with a deck of cards but I already have the game itself. Oh Hell and Pitch seem pretty fantastic and I'm excited to give them a try! Thanks for the suggestions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cavaliere
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should ask
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

about his card game Shifty.

He has only shared it with our family but it is by far one of the family favorite card games and we play a LOT of card games and games in general.

I think he should expound on it here as I believe any one following this thread would love it (severe hint here as his modesty is keeping him from going about publishing it - yes, it is that good).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:
You should ask
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

He has only shared it with our family but it is by far one of the family favorite card games and we play a LOT of card games and games in general.

I think he should expound on it here as I believe any one following this thread would love it (severe hint here as his modesty is keeping him from going about publishing it - yes, it is that good).

Consider me intrigued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'd need a couple extra Jokers to mark, but Tichu could be played with a standard deck of cards. 2 player Haggis is also playable with a standard deck of cards. 3 player Haggis requires a fifth suit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Name Withheld
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While not strictly a board game, The Quiet Year is a fun map drawing RPG that uses playing cards to drive the actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if we're doing great but less famous games, I recommend Barbu.

Also Skat is a better form of cutthroat Euchre for 3 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a similar question to this and Indian Chief and Army Ants stood out.

You can also try Wizard (using jokers as Zs and Ns, or just play without them) and Egyptian Ratscrew, which ressembles Jungle Speed in the fast reflex department

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeong
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BuckWilde wrote:
Gamer DC wrote:
You should ask
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Consider me intrigued.

Well that's a fascinating response. Even just knowing the name has got me curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jeong
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:
I made a similar question to this and Indian Chief and Army Ants stood out.

You can also try Wizard (using jokers as Zs and Ns, or just play without them) and Egyptian Ratscrew, which ressembles Jungle Speed in the fast reflex department

Army Ants sounds like the kind of game that is just up my alley! Thanks for the tip.

PS: As a Torontonian, go Raptors!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamer DC wrote:
You should ask
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I knew I shouldn't have commented here. Dan has pushed to get me to publish this game, and I just didn't think it was worth the effort. I do not believe a simple card game using a regular deck and a couple of simple props (which are not really required) would be published. If anyone can tell me how to post it as an unpublished game in the BGG database, I would do that. Because it is so popular in our family, I would at least like to have credit for it, but am willing to share it freely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
gamesgrandpa wrote:
Gamer DC wrote:
You should ask
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If anyone can tell me how to post it as an unpublished game in the BGG database, I would do that. Because it is so popular in our family, I would at least like to have credit for it, but am willing to share it freely.

The main thing that comes to mind is simply to make a new game entry, and perhaps put a little in the admin note talking about how it's from a standard deck of cards.

I breezed though the requisite Guidelines and I didn't see anything that suggested you should do otherwise. Regarding the unpublished status- in a way, you've self published it by putting it in an entry.

You can then put the rules in the rules section.

The guidelines page:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_Guide_to_Game_Sub...

The form to fill out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgame

Spoiler contains relevant quotes from the guidelines
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For self-published games and user-designer efforts, a game is ready to be added to the BGG database after the game has undergone play-testing and is available in its final form. If details about the game are still being resolved and the rules are still being changed over the course of the play-testing, the game is not sufficiently finalized for a BGG entry.

The primary category of concern in a game submission is the description. A good description for a newly-released game will consist of at least a paragraph and will cover what the game is about theme-wise, how the game plays, what mechanisms are used, and what the victory conditions are. This is summed up as theme, game-play, and goal. Additionally, the description may discuss the contents of the game box, but that is extra, and a components list alone does not a game description make.

Voids in other categories like mechanisms, designer, publisher, year, players, and game time are taken into consideration as a whole, but usually will not cause the denial of a game with a sufficient description.

Further information on this topic is encapsulated at Game Description Guidelines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
im intrigued...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dizzy_Drizzit wrote:
gamesgrandpa wrote:
Gamer DC wrote:
You should ask
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If anyone can tell me how to post it as an unpublished game in the BGG database, I would do that. Because it is so popular in our family, I would at least like to have credit for it, but am willing to share it freely.

The main thing that comes to mind is simply to make a new game entry, and perhaps put a little in the admin note talking about how it's from a standard deck of cards.

I breezed though the requisite Guidelines and I didn't see anything that suggested you should do otherwise. Regarding the unpublished status- in a way, you've self published it by putting it in an entry.

You can then put the rules in the rules section.

The guidelines page:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/BGG_Guide_to_Game_Sub...

The form to fill out:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/item/create/boardgame

Spoiler contains relevant quotes from the guidelines
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For self-published games and user-designer efforts, a game is ready to be added to the BGG database after the game has undergone play-testing and is available in its final form. If details about the game are still being resolved and the rules are still being changed over the course of the play-testing, the game is not sufficiently finalized for a BGG entry.

The primary category of concern in a game submission is the description. A good description for a newly-released game will consist of at least a paragraph and will cover what the game is about theme-wise, how the game plays, what mechanisms are used, and what the victory conditions are. This is summed up as theme, game-play, and goal. Additionally, the description may discuss the contents of the game box, but that is extra, and a components list alone does not a game description make.

Voids in other categories like mechanisms, designer, publisher, year, players, and game time are taken into consideration as a whole, but usually will not cause the denial of a game with a sufficient description.

Further information on this topic is encapsulated at Game Description Guidelines

Thanks much! I had not really done any research, and you've done a great job of informing me. I will follow up.
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tien Len a ladder tichu style game. the best one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
[url][/url]I feel as my offerings are paltry after reading through the list so far, but here goes:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/President(card game) - 3-5 players. Goal is to shed cards from hand. Leading player plays a card, and any additional cards have to be higher than the previous card.

Some depth in when to lead low/ high, but very luck based.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian Ratscrew- Dexterity/ reaction game. 2- No upper limit on players, but all players much be able to reach the center of the table. Basic play is like the game war, but when either 2 cards of the same value hit the pile, or 2 cards sandwiching a 3rd card (XyX) any player may slap the pile and claim the cards.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao(card game) - Deduction. One player is the game leader and makes up the rules for the game. The other players try to figure out what the rules are by watching "Mao" play and watching how penalties are awarded. They then play correctly. First player to empty their hand is the next "Mao". The rules can be anything.

For this, the moderator makes or breaks the game.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literature(card game) - deduction game. 2 teams try to guess the cards everyone is holding whilst not revealing their own through their guesses.

Very good game I played at college a ton, but everyone has to be paying attention.

Finally, Project Dark - A new RPG set to come out this july. A fair amount of GM work, but it looks good.

I'm not sure why, but all of my wiki links seem Borked. Those are the paths at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Always bring your towel.
United States
Morrilton
Arkansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always try Dueling Nobles.

I think it's a fantastic game, but I'm a bit biased, being one of the three J's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.