Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MrTommyH
United Kingdom
London
--
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I been working on designing a Board game with a few good friends. We are going for a CO-OP Fantasy survival, heavily based on theme. First i guess i should talk about myself a little bit aha.

I am currently an Animation Student, and have recently got myself into Board games, i have a few, but i want more . And being a student i have very little income as many can imagine. So with with my passion for drawing and my delight in playing board games We have decided to start designing our own.

Enough about me, the reason i came onto here is i am stuck on a few things and would really appreciate some help, but i don't want all my ideas on here as im worried they will get stolen. Being an artist, it has happened a few times in the past, to me and my friends.

The theme is survivors on an unknown island. Trying to survive, or find a way off. With this theme i am also planning to make it a dungeon crawl, in which players will have certain actions, and fight the other survivors that may have found them self on the island. There is a lot more to it, but that is the general Gist. As i said im quiet hesitant about putting a lot of information onto here, but i am saying there is a lot more to what i am putting on here ninja

SO! I have a few questions:

1. What is your favorite mechanics for combat in Board games? Any suggestions?
2. Is a campaign based system something you are interested in?
3. In dungeon crawls, do you like exploration or preset up?
4. Understanding there are lot of Dungeon Crawlers out there, How would you like to see one thats different from the rest?
5. We would like the game to be choice oriented, but also want there to be a sort of linear story to it. Any ideas on how to achieve this?
6. Trying to not have a GM/DM controlling the monsters how would you suggest going about this, so that monster can act differently each time (phase)?
7. Do you like complicated Dungeon Crawlers? Chances of Failing a side quest effecting the game?
8. ANY of your ideas? We would love to hear them (:

I have a few answers to these myself, but i would like to see what the community comes up with

That is it for now, hopefully i will have a few more questions in time (: Please ask ANY questions you want here or PM me.

Thanks for reading,

P.S. No Zombies

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deathworks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

Mmmmhhh, this sounds interesting. Are you planning to share this via PnP or some such?

Anyhow, for your questions:
1. Well, I don't have any real favorites right now. Dice are always a classic, ranging from counting successes (rolling a number of dice based on a skill or something and each die of 5+ or maybe 6 counts as a success), to totalling a number of dice to reach a threshold, or having a poker-based model (this one is really fascinating, but seems a bit difficult to balance). But there is also a lot you can do with cards, either on their own or in combination with dice (playing cards to get more/better dice or boni for the dice). Basically, with cards you can give a bit more control to the player(s) while going completely dice puts a lot of power to the game itself, so you need to balance it carefully. Personally, I am fine with any of these approaches. What I do not like are completely static systems without any random element during a given encounter/round of combat.

2. Campaigns are nice, especially if the system itself is moddable.

3. That is the easiest question for me: Exploration all the way! I am a tactical person, so the fewer information you provide in the beginning, the better in my book.

4. Mmmhhh, I have not that much experience in what has been done. However, offering side quests or at least modular variability can be nice. Like when you uncover a new tile during exploration, in addition to the tile itself, some random item/event can be placed there, maybe even something that is not directly combat related.

5. That combination is very tricky. If you want a linear story, you need to basically write it out. If you add choices, you would need to write out things for all combinations, although some may fall together. You would probably end up with a paragraph book, although I know one game that uses cards (adding cards to the event deck as indicated by certain cards that are drawn), although that mechanism is not that convincing in my eyes as - by necessity - you will see the new card upon putting it into the deck, thus there being no surprise and player information divergent from character information.

6. Personally, I think dice can be a great tool, maybe combined with strategy cards randomly drawn for the monsters. Let's say you use a 12-sided die. There could be a strategy card 'steadfast fighter' where 1 to 6 is attack, and 7 to 12 is block. Another strategy card 'coward' could have 1 - 4 flee, 5 - 8 attack, and 9 - 12 block. And so on. You might also put several conditional command lines on each cards, changing probabilities based on situation (for instance, have the coward flee on 1- 9 if wounded).

7. I am not sure what you mean there. I enjoy a bit of complexity, but if each individual turn becomes an exercise in planning and actually hard work, I am out.

8. Most important for me is a single character solo option. That is, the possibility to play the game controlling just a single character when playing solo (I am assuming that in multiplayer games, each player controls just one character).
For a dungeon crawler, unless you decide not to use a board at all, a modular board is a must for me (see above about the exploration).
Personally, I don't like playing the bad guy in a solo game (and that is what I am looking for here), so being able to play a decent person would be really nice (your description made me doubtful about this).
Allowing players to pick the sex of their characters is also something good that I have seen in recent games.
Ah, and another thing I consider interesting for dungeon crawlers are variable player powers - the classic are mages, fighters, rogues, and clerics, maybe, but that could be anything.

Well, these are the things I can think of off the top of my head.

Yours,
Deathworks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MrTommyH
United Kingdom
London
--
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey there!

Thanks for responding! We do plan to release parts in PnP form at one point, but at this time, it is no where near completion.

But i guess i should of been clearer with the game in general . Its planned to be a Miniature RPG Dice rolling board game, so lots of pretty miniatures, and dice for combat PnP will obviously lack miniatures but we do have artwork that can stand in as Standees

So yes, thats where the problem lies, there are so many different dice combat systems, and im trying to choose the best one that suits the game. WOW Board game (Lots of dice, roll over a certain number = hit), Eldritch Horror (success on 5/6), SDE (Roll more stars cause 1 wound) etc and there are plenty more, these are just ones i remember off the top of my head.

I guess the main problem is the dice rolled, for example are D10, eventually after a while to succeed in a hit against an enemy (if the game progresses far) will be hits on a 10 3 or 4 times, it seems silly, but i guess it the only possibility in this scenario.
Along with Dice, cards was a possibility as they could play off each other quite well, but as i said our combat system is still work in progress.

in regard to 3. As a Group we decided modular tiles are a good idea already. We love that system too. We love the randomness.

Question 4. Cards might be drawn to hint what will be on the tile. (Chests, loots, mobs, traps) But all this could change quickly aha

6. This is something we have been considering, have priority in who they will attack. Recently attacked, Closest etc.

Ah i can see how you came to that conclusion with seeming like the bad guys, however you are in fact good, but you are doing your best to survive on this island, so some horrible decisions will have to be made. Dont worry, you are killing the bad guys

Finally there will be solobility 1-5 players is the aim. All characters will be different and play differently. AND all classes (roles) will be both female and male as option between the 2.

Keep asking questions too, everything helps us (:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.