United States
Prospect
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baseball Highlights 2045 today hit $15K in funding and scored the 15-Card COACH expansion stretch Goal.

Thank you Backers!

$2.5K more to reach the 15-Card Rally Cap Expansion!

Ralph
For Eagle-Gryphon Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this project is only at a "$15k double level" and on its way to a "$25k homerun level" with more cards and goodies.

The game looks great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll never understand Kickstarter. Here you have a proven designer, well-established and respected publisher, and a game that is taking one of the more popular mechanics in the board gaming genre, and putting a new twist on it--yet the project is limping along.

Is there another deck-building game that has players going head-to-head? Tournament style play build directly into the gameplay? Cards that can be used in a one-two punch manner, making each card flip even more strategic?

I want the game yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I for one wished they had used their own world and created their own players and teams. The game seems to be really well thought out and looks fun to play. However you are insulting baseball fans when you state that baseball is only played in four major cities and theirs is not one of them.

I am from the St. Louis area myself and can tell you that while we may not get the same exposure like the teams from these big four cities, you will have a hard time finding more loyal and respecting fans than those of Cardinal nation.

Would it help if St. Louis was one of those teams? For me, sure. However you are still going to insult other fans because their team is not one of the big four. That is why I wish this was kept in the made up world of the creators of this game along with names that he made up himself. Just saying...

Just for the record I am backing this game but unhappy with how they are using real players names but changing them up. Barry Sosa? Really? Two of the biggest names that used steroids and they make it in while other legends are left out? See where this is going and why I wish they had made names up themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*ugh*

I don't know how many times the creators can explain that the 4 "starting" teams are just that, and that every other team is represented in the Free Agent deck . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it difficult to explain why this isn't doing better than it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnwiser wrote:
I for one wished they had used their own world and created their own players and teams. The game seems to be really well thought out and looks fun to play. However you are insulting baseball fans when you state that baseball is only played in four major cities and theirs is not one of them.

Also, the 4 starting teams aren't even based on the actual MLB teams. They are just 4 city names.
They have nothing to do with MLB teams.
They are just 4 city names.

Am I upset that Burbank wasn't chosen? Yes. And that's why I'm cancelling my pledge.

In all seriousness though, he could've created fictitious player names with fictitious cities, but then baseball fans would have no attachment to it. It'd lose any historical baseball flavor. There's no reason to have 30 starting decks when they're all largely similar until you start dipping into the free agents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
saloonstudios wrote:
johnwiser wrote:

Also, the 4 starting teams aren't even based on the actual MLB teams. They are just 4 city names.

Am I upset that Burbank wasn't chosen? Yes. And that's why I'm cancelling my pledge.

And just in case someone from the MLB is reading this -- They have nothing to do with MLB teams, they are just city names!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saloonstudios wrote:
johnwiser wrote:

In all seriousness though, he could've created fictitious player names with fictitious cities, but then baseball fans would have no attachment to it. It'd lose any historical baseball flavor. There's no reason to have 30 starting decks when they're all largely similar until you start dipping into the free agents.

Nor have I canceled my pledge because my city is not one of the big four. However you want to ride the coat tails of MLB and it's rich history BUT not pay for it, correct? All in the name of bringing that connection with said fans, right? Sounds and looks like a duck to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't mean to make it sound like I was attacking you, just trying to make light of the situation. I can see where you're coming from, but I guess I think that having a generic "San Francisco" is better than having "New Angeles" or something. If the game had featured licensed "San Francisco Giants" then I wouldn't be interested at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To explain a little more why I feel this way;
Games (video and cardboard) based on licensed sports teams/players become dated immediately. Mid-season trades and team relocation make your licensed realism old and inaccurate. By using generic city names you can ensure some sense of longevity and IMO imaginative re-playability over a licensed game.
Now, MLB Showdown does have it's appeal to me now, because I remember rooting for some of those players when I was growing up... but that's only some of the players. Most of the common and uncommon cards from MLB Showdown are players that barely played 3 seasons in the majors. That game IS reaching a point now where it doesn't matter what the players are, because most people you play with won't know anyone anyway, so they become "generic" players.
BUT! With BH2045, I'd argue that 95% of the names Mike Fitzgerald used are unquestionable legends of baseball. And because they're mashed up you can use your imagination on which attributes the fictitious player exhibits based on your knowledge of the actual names. It can't feel dated, because there are no team names that will change cities in the MLB in a couple years, there are no players who will bomb and end their careers early (well some names like Verlander I could've done without) and become forgotten.
I feel like I'm nonsensically rambling at this point but I hope you can see where I'm coming from. Generic cities aren't so bad, and the free agent deck has more cities than the 4 starter ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wiser
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Cody No harm, no foul. I like what I see in this game and while I may disagree with some of the things, at the end of the day it is not going to chase me away from a solid title (as this looks to be.) Sorry if I came off as being rude as I did not mean to. Silly internet, hard to understand the tone of what is being said.

While I may disagree with something I also look at it in the light of if I can do better than make a game and bring it market...yea, not so much. I will leave that to those who are good at these type of things. I am good at playing them...sort of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.