Popular Tags: [View All]
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Idea:

When it comes to selecting actions in a three player game, the first player chooses his action, carries it out, and then chooses one of the remaining four action cards to discard, denying it to all players. Then the second player chooses his action from the remaining three, carries it out, and then discards one of the remaining two action cards, denying it to the last player. The last player chooses the last remaining action.

It seems like this variant would make the turn order bid much more important! What do you think? Would it make it worthwhile to play El Grande with three players?

Edit: grammar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
It seems like this variant would make the turn order bid much more important! What do you think? Would it make it worthwhile to play El Grande with three players?

I don't think your suggestion is bad, it would certainly tighten up the game, but I don't think turn order and action selection are really the problem in 3p El Grande.

3p El Grande suffers from the same problems that plague most 3p area control games where either:

(1) the last place player plays kingmaker

or

(2) Player A and Player B go after each other and Player C coasts to victory.

For me El Grande is really a 4p or 5p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.