Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I love the overall look of this game and am especially intrigued by the way the batter vs. pitcher interaction is designed. However, I doubt I would ever play it more than once per year (at most) against a live opponent. The rest of the time would be solitaire. I've read the comments on the company's website and it seems like they are adamant that you could play this solo, but they discourage solo play because the game is built for head-to-head action.

So, for those of you who have played the game, would I be shooting myself in the foot if I bought it and tried to create some solitaire charts to determine what the batter and/or pitcher will do in various game situations? I really want to buy this game, but if solo play would be a huge chore (and not very fun), then I may need to shy away from it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TH Gillespie
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Sorry for the long delay in reply to your question. We just now saw it!

Thanks for your generous comments. As for solitaire, We have other customers who have played UBTG solitaire. We could hook you up, but only if you go to our website and email us (and we'd have to get your permission to give your email to at least one of our solitaire players so you could exchange ideas). Generally speaking, UBTG is designed to involve many strategic decisions, so it plays best when you are going head-to-head with a real person. But the game engine can work solitaire, with some imagination, and we believe you'll like the results.

Also, we're going to be demo-ing UBTG at the national 2014 SABR convention in Houston (Jul 30-Aug 3). If you're anywhere in the vicinity, come see us! We'll answer any questions live and in person! And we're extending our SABR discount to our forum enthusiasts. Just go to this link for 20% off plus free shipping: http://www.ubtg.net

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Blackwell
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading the reviews it seems like you'd lose the best part of this game in solo play. Love the strategic guesswork between pitcher and batter in the 2 player game, but rolling dice to determine your opponent's decisions (even if you've devised a clever table) makes your decision somewhat arbitrary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.