Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » West

Subject: GameDay 2014 Board Game Retreat April 4th-6th rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Shout out to anyone in the Puget Sound about the second GameDay event at Cedar Springs Camp in Lake Stevens, WA.

When: April 4th-6th (5:30pm Friday through 4:30 Sunday)
Where: Cedar Springs, Lake Stevens
Games: Hundreds!
Food: Awesome (three stellar meals on Saturday, Two on Sunday, snacks on Friday evening).
Lodging: Nice, warm cabins
Game Area: Spatial Founders Hall.
Contests: Dominion Tournament!
Cost: $70/3 day, $35 Saturday only option (stay as late as you want).

Sign-up sheet with information:
http://cedarspringscamp.net/files/2014/03/Registration-Form1...

We had our first board game retreat in October, and it was a great success according to the participants. We had twenty five folks, and the feedback was positive.

It's a great opportunity to go to a nice (but not too far away) campground, enjoy playing hundreds of games with some great fellow gamers, get great food prepared for you, and have a great time!)

Sign-up link is above. Hoping to see some folks in the area come and take advantage of the gaming opportunity!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa...

So close to me and I had no idea. Unfortunately it's too short notice and already have plans for International TableTop Day (April 5) as well. Would love to hear about future events in advance, though. Definitely something I would consider attending.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Aaron.

Yes, I do apologize for not getting more advance notice out. I also realize that it conflicts with TableTop Day (oops).

Definitely our next GameDay, I will make sure and get the word out at least a month in advance. We'd definitely love to have you join in! It's really good food, nice facility, and we seriously have 400 games we all bring in (the Camp Director and much of the staff are also avid boardgamers, so it's a nice plus all around).

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and our current plan is to have two three-day board game retreats (April and October), and two one day events on Saturday (Jan and July), so I definitely will be posting about those as well.

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just happens to be the same days at CamasCon held at Camas Meadows Bible Camp in near Wenatchee. Otherwise I might have considered it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lostdog wrote:
Just happens to be the same days at CamasCon held at Camas Meadows Bible Camp in near Wenatchee. Otherwise I might have considered it.


Yup, a huge faux pas on my part. Last October, we had staggered the camps out by a week, so that they didn't overlap. Daryl came to ours, and some of us came up to his the next week. Win win.

Both camps were scheduling against other camping groups to find the 'gap' that would work, it sounds like, so the overlap is very unfortunate this time.

Still, for future camps, we will definitely make sure and cross check against Daryl's schedule to make sure the overlap doesn't happen.

Thanks. Next time, I'll give more notice and we'll have a better grasp on competing events.

2 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
lostdog wrote:
Just happens to be the same days at CamasCon held at Camas Meadows Bible Camp in near Wenatchee. Otherwise I might have considered it.


Yup, a huge faux pas on my part. Last October, we had staggered the camps out by a week, so that they didn't overlap. Daryl came to ours, and some of us came up to his the next week. Win win.

Both camps were scheduling against other camping groups to find the 'gap' that would work, it sounds like, so the overlap is very unfortunate this time.

Still, for future camps, we will definitely make sure and cross check against Daryl's schedule to make sure the overlap doesn't happen.

Thanks. Next time, I'll give more notice and we'll have a better grasp on competing events.


Awesome! Glad to hear you're aware of the other area Game camp. I believe CamasCon is always the first weekend in April and November, so easy to know ahead of time. If not for the overlap, I'm not sure I'd have done the overnight, but I would have tried to make it to Saturday. Maybe next time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to come to this event again but I need more notice. I really enjoyed myself last time.

Have fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. I'll be talking to the Camp Director about the next dates and making sure I do a better job of advance notice in this regard.

I will definitely get a thread started for the next one, so folks can subscribe to it.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
keithsink wrote:
Would love to come to this event again but I need more notice. I really enjoyed myself last time.

Have fun.


Heya, Keith! It was a blast last time, I'll make sure and get advance notice for the future stuff to make sure you can make it. Like your web site, too. Libertalia fan, I see... next time we'll have to play that.

Have you tried Robinson Crusoe? From the cooperative games on your site that you played, I wonder if you'd like that one as much as I do. Very immersive.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Sink
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Tim. Yeah. I had alot of fun at that event. I like Robinson Crusoe (played it with my weekly group a month ago), however I like Castaway more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So our attendance will be low (obviously, since the lead time wasn't great for folks to plan ahead) this time, but we're still going to go ahead and do it... there's enough local folks with word of mouth that we'll do the retreat and get some gaming in!

If anyone gets a break and wants to pop in during the three day event (particularly Saturday when most folks will be there overlapping), but all means feel free. We have a much reduced cost for the one day, and we definitely want people, particularly those in the area, to come check it out and see if it's something they want to do again.

On another note:

Question: Would it make more sense to add one thread for GameDay events like this, and then just post to it for events? Or should every event (April GameDay, October GameDay, etc...) be its own post.

I would suspect the former would be easier for folks who want to subscribe to, but perhaps not?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to make a note to give at least three months lead time from now on.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
United States
Marysville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The former! I'm WAY more likely to see it if you use one thread that I can subscribe to.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
So our attendance will be low (obviously, since the lead time wasn't great for folks to plan ahead) this time, but we're still going to go ahead and do it... there's enough local folks with word of mouth that we'll do the retreat and get some gaming in!

If anyone gets a break and wants to pop in during the three day event (particularly Saturday when most folks will be there overlapping), but all means feel free. We have a much reduced cost for the one day, and we definitely want people, particularly those in the area, to come check it out and see if it's something they want to do again.

On another note:

Question: Would it make more sense to add one thread for GameDay events like this, and then just post to it for events? Or should every event (April GameDay, October GameDay, etc...) be its own post.

I would suspect the former would be easier for folks who want to subscribe to, but perhaps not?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to make a note to give at least three months lead time from now on.


Or start a guild which people can subscribe to. Then post anything there. Also gives you a calendar you can schedule things on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lostdog wrote:
Auzette wrote:
So our attendance will be low (obviously, since the lead time wasn't great for folks to plan ahead) this time, but we're still going to go ahead and do it... there's enough local folks with word of mouth that we'll do the retreat and get some gaming in!

If anyone gets a break and wants to pop in during the three day event (particularly Saturday when most folks will be there overlapping), but all means feel free. We have a much reduced cost for the one day, and we definitely want people, particularly those in the area, to come check it out and see if it's something they want to do again.

On another note:

Question: Would it make more sense to add one thread for GameDay events like this, and then just post to it for events? Or should every event (April GameDay, October GameDay, etc...) be its own post.

I would suspect the former would be easier for folks who want to subscribe to, but perhaps not?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm going to make a note to give at least three months lead time from now on.


Or start a guild which people can subscribe to. Then post anything there. Also gives you a calendar you can schedule things on.


I'll check into the guild thing, thanks for the tip. If that is just as good as a permanent thread for folks like Aaron to subscribe to, then it sounds like a great idea for this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also post pics in Guilds, which is kind of fun.
Another feature is you can see collections of Guild members, or "want to play", etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect. Thanks for the tips! Y'all rock.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Perfect. Thanks for the tips! Y'all rock.


Thanks everyone for the tips! I've created a guild for this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1913

Looking forward to getting to know folks and having a permanent place to post about board game events at Cedar Springs Camp.

And I'll hopefully know sooner than later about the October GameDay date, and will post it over there.

Thanks again, everyone!
 
 Thumb up
10.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Crawford
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:
Auzette wrote:
Perfect. Thanks for the tips! Y'all rock.


Thanks everyone for the tips! I've created a guild for this:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/1913

Looking forward to getting to know folks and having a permanent place to post about board game events at Cedar Springs Camp.

And I'll hopefully know sooner than later about the October GameDay date, and will post it over there.

Thanks again, everyone!


Joined and subscribed. Looking forward to seeing what type of events you have.

Also, it looks like you had to spend half your geekgold for the guild. Since it was my idea and I've got some extra geekgold sitting around, I'll cover the cost.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That was extremely generous, thanks for doing that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.