Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started playing wargames I would always skip the short scenarios and go straight for the Campaign. Recently, I have found myself with neither the time nor the space to play the full campaign in games (unless playing face to face) and have been very much enjoying the short scenarios.

What are some wargames that are either intentionally designed to be played as, or, really shine when played as, a series of short scenarios?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three games I have recently played come to mind: East Front II, West Front II and Rommel in the desert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starship Troopers

Granted, that's how they did the programmed instructions, but the scenarios follow the book in chronologically order so they're fun to play that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Pacific War: The Struggle Against Japan 1941-1945
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I had always heard that AH's War and Peace had problems with the map and that the campaign game was less than stellar. I also heard that the individual scenarios were very good though. Back then I was more interested
in the campaign game so I passed.

Fast-forward 30+ years and for several games I now have more interest in scenarios. Also, since the map for W&P was recently redone and available I bought it, downloaded the 4th edition rules and made new counters that I am now able to read.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I will sometime this summer. The new map looks great. It is unlikely I will even try the campaign game. I'm now only interested in the scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bruce
United States
Colchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question. Like you, I usually skipped scenarios and went straight for the full campaign game, but have since learned to appreciate the scenarios.

In terms of your question, I would offer up Avalon Hill's
War and Peace.

The Peninsular War scenario is virtually a game unto itself, and remains one of the best simulations of that campaign.

EDIT: I SECOND the nomination given above of War & Peace!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
The Campaign Games in ASL are designed to be played as a series of short scenario-sized engagements, each followed by reinforcement and refit phases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a good subject for a geeklist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No Expectations wrote:
I had always heard that AH's War and Peace had problems with the map and that the campaign game was less than stellar. I also heard that the individual scenarios were very good though. Back then I was more interested
in the campaign game so I passed.

Fast-forward 30+ years and for several games I now have more interest in scenarios. Also, since the map for W&P was recently redone and available I bought it, downloaded the 4th edition rules and made new counters that I am now able to read.

I haven't had a chance to play it yet but I will sometime this summer. The new map looks great. It is unlikely I will even try the campaign game. I'm now only interested in the scenarios.

Old Professor wrote:
Interesting question. Like you, I usually skipped scenarios and went straight for the full campaign game, but have since learned to appreciate the scenarios.

In terms of your question, I would offer up Avalon Hill's
War and Peace.

The Peninsular War scenario is virtually a game unto itself, and remains one of the best simulations of that campaign.

EDIT: I SECOND the nomination given above of War & Peace!

Makes me wish I picked this one up for really cheap a few months ago. Its still not hard to find at a good price, so now its jumped up my wantlist.

aiabx wrote:
The Campaign Games in ASL are designed to be played as a series of short scenario-sized engagements, each followed by reinforcement and refit phases.

A couple guys in my ASL group are playing out the Stalingrad campaign now. It sounds fun. I'm still playing infantry-only scenarios though. I'll probably be playing a scenario with a vehicle or two next meetup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 does this multiple short scenario with campaign scenario thing very effectively..but if you are like me ultimately you'll want the WHOLE chocolate cake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 does this multiple short scenario with campaign scenario thing very effectively..but if you are like me ultimately you'll want the WHOLE chocolate cake

I've played the full Campaign of Red Winter (face to face) and it was AWESOME.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Masspequa
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Longest Day I have been playing the scenarios now for a while. The invasion scenario uses all seven mounted maps and big chunk of the counters so I brought it to work on the weekend and played it out.

The only scenario left to play is Cherbourg, a one mapper. Looking forwarded to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
Many, many of the early monster games suffered from the problem that the campaign game was inadequately play tested and was either unbalanced or just unplayable. So here's my list of monsters that I gave up playing the campaign game but still enjoyed the scenarios:

War In The East (Second Edition). Forget the 1941 scenario, given the supply limits, the slow rail conversions, and the incredible abilities of Soviet AT brigades, the Germans don't stand a chance. Same problem you've got with the campaign. Go straight for the later scenarios, at least until you become master of the competing conga lines/snake dance.

War in Europe. Quite a number of devilish tricks you can use in the edition as printed which robbed the game of a lot of potential. Plus the game just felt like an SPI Division Series game with other strategic aspects heavy abstracted/bolted on (like airpower). Only the production angle seemed to have any real meat, but that was only for the Axis and the Soviets in the 1st Edition. One or two playings of the campaign and you were likely done. The scenarios were better, save for the 1941 War in the East one for reasons mentioned above.

Highway to the Reich (first and second editions). Given the hex frontage restrictions on XXX Corps, there's no chance for the Allies. The scenarios--save for the Breakout of XXX Corps--are just fine. It's really the way to play it.

Atlantic Wall. This shares the (dis)honor of having the worst campaign game with the title listed above. The scenarios are better, although I'd argue the landing scenario is best played solitaire as the Allies! Felt this game never really lived up to its potential.

Korsun Pocket. Given competent play, it was nearly impossible for the Soviets to close the pocket and build up a historical level of fortifications to interfere with the III Panzer Korps relief effort. Best played as two scenarios--one to close the pocket, the other to relieve it given the historical situation..and there are several to choose from given what time frame you want to start with.

War in the Pacific (first edition). If you can manage to deal with the demands of detailed logistical feasibility planning, the mid-war scenarios were okay. Forget the campaign game, if you could even get through a good bit of it. Can't imagine it would be much fun as the Japanese from about late 1943 onward...I confess I never even tried to play the campaign game. Way too intimidated, based on the scenario experience.

Some of the more recent monster games seem to generate far too little juice to be worth the intensive labor required to play the campaign--the scenarios provide just enough balance between the two:

A Fearful Slaughter: The Battle of Shiloh. I've never had luck with monster games on Shiloh, having sold off my copy of SPI's Bloody April: The Battle of Shiloh, 1862 because it felt like more work than it was worth. Well, in this case, the problem here is the quality of many of the commanders (it's 1862, after all) and the incredible problems of command and control, which is a major feature of the Regimental Sub-Series system.

Wacht Am Rhein--either of the Decision Game incarnations. You will need a lot of fortitude to gut through the detail of this system in playing the full campaign. I've not even tried it. The scenarios are enough to try to digest. Maybe if I attempt it's sister game, Hurtgen: Hell's Forest, I might give it a whirl. But I'm not there yet.

I will second observations made about War and Peace elsewhere in this thread. That's been my experience as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat! The Russian Front has multiple points to start the game, but the games can be played either to the short ending, or played out to the end of the war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davis
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No Retreat! The North African Front is explicitly set up this way. It's the entire north african campaign, but played on a series of smaller maps, and the action is only on one smaller map at a time. Then when one side has won in the time allotted, the action moves to the next map (or stays on the current one if neither side won).

Combat Commander: Europe has several expansions which have campaigns which link together many scenarios covering individual engagements. Depending on the results of the individual campaign steps, you may get more or fewer reinforcements, your troops gain experience, and you fight on different maps and have different objectives for the next fights in the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Koskey
United States
Kahului
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Combat Commander - this is my all time favorite game system that plays out in smaller battles that depict a larger "campaign". This game system continues to grow with new content added constantly. It also has the benifit of a very well designed RSG that keeps replayability interesting almost indefiantly.

Ambush - though a long OOP game it still is one of my favorite solo war games that are played on smaller scenerios depicting a larger battle. There are several expansions that extend teh replayability and add new troops and vehicles, etc. Like Combat commander your troops gain abilities, notoriety and much more as you play through scenerio after scenerio. This makes the theme very strong as after the first battle you will find yourself attached to your combat unit that just fought, and as your men are killed off you truely feel bummed as you drum up a new solder and go back into the next battle/scenerio. However, this one seems a little more abstract and not so historical (if at all).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell King
United Kingdom
Hebden Bridge
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
aiabx wrote:

Yes, Pegasus Bridge is stunning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vins baudet
Spain
Valencia/Castiello de Jaca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer Grenadier: Campaigns and Commanders Vol 1 – War in the East and Panzer Grenadier: Campaigns and Commanders Vol. 2 – The King's Officers in Panzer grenadier series, are not only short scenarios connected but a sort of Role playing game with leaders improving his skills.

Remember me Dawn Patrol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

I have played the scenarios from Burma and enjoyed them all. Looking forward to finally starting the campaign.

I think, generally speaking, the OCS and SCS series games are good at developing play alone scenarios that both help you understand the full campaign and are fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john f stup
United States
damascus
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
THE WILDERNESS WAR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.