Subject: Not Horrible at all! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James

Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was afraid to get this game due to all the bad reviews... but my family loves TWD so we picked it up... It might be a case of when you hear aweful 10 zillion times you expect the worst... so we were pleasently surprised. Yes it is luck driven and random... but it is also a quick game of mindless fun. Not at all comparing this to a game like Mage Knight (which I LOVE), but at the same time, I have played a ton of games 1000x worse (we hated RISK TWD- resold after 1 play)...

So again, depending on what you are expecting, this game might be worth it. If you love TWD comic, are ok with a mindless luck driven dice rolling game... then this is worth the $40 investment...

My 2 cents anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. Sometimes you just want to chuck dice. As far as a random, luck-driven game goes, this is s fun one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game too. There is also an expansion/stand-alone-sequel based on the prison that's on Kickstarter right now with only 5 days remaining: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/493801934/the-walking-d...

I backed it *because* I like the original as much as I do. I am in no way affiliated with the Kickstarter - just wanted to share my excitement for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the new expansion's Kickstarter was cancelled today but it *is* going to be published:

The Walking Dead The Prison Kickstarter Page wrote:

We have some great news: we have, just in the past day, agreed to an exclusive distribution deal with Diamond/Alliance. This is amazing news for the game, because it means we're going to be able to get the game into every specialty and hobby store in the country, along with international distribution and larger stores. The game will begin to be solicited by Diamond next week. This is, quite simply, everything we had hoped for when we began to develop the game.

Given that we now have an amazing distribution deal with the perfect distribution partner, we don't feel comfortable continuing to ask for funding money through Kickstarter. As such, in a short while, we're going to cancel our campaign for the game, and focus all our energies on getting the game to the distribution center as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We play this with some regularity in my group, it is our go to beer and pretzel game: it scales well and is pretty intuitive to play, ideal for casual gaming. While the dice rolling and cards are random, theres a enough strategy in selecting goals and planning routes to keep everyone engaged, not to mention that the randomness fits well with the theme.

The gameplay cinches it for me. That dastardly feeling when you go out of your way to surround your rivals in your zombified wake. The thrill of rolling the bang dice which can save your life but bring zombies by the bus full. I especially love making a run on ATL for the dense stockpile of resources and then snaking my way out the other side with out taking a hit. There is even a touch of negotiation on some of the cards, which adds more Walking Dead flavor since you must choose to fight together or die alone. That might be from Lost actually...

OH and if you get bitten, you can roll right back in on the next turn with another character. This has happened more than once for us, and more than once in the same game, but no one has complained ... much. I want to say it feels like a co-op game. It's like the zombies are happening to everybody equally, and you can't blame the other guy for wanting to survive.

In full disclosure, our group does watch the show and several dudes read the books. I am flabberghasted at the mediocre rating given the popularity of the franchise and the solid gameplay. The mechanics are not deep but they are fully functional, easily a match for this puny zombie apocalypse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.