Subject: What Game Should I Buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Hafner
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I like games that have an historical basis in the ancient and medieval periods (3000 B.C. to ~1500 A.D.) regardless of complexity. I have enjoyed board games as simple as The Rome Compendium: Circus Maximus to as complex as The Ancient World: Rise of the Roman Republic. Though not of the period I think Twilight Struggle is a great game for it's pace, use of card mechanics, geography and tone. The computer game Rome: Total War I find quite fun.

I'm looking for a game that can be played by two to six players, makes use of political, military and perhaps economic factors, reflective of period, ancient or medieval, authors. What do recommend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Kyur wrote:

Pretty themeless.

Look no further than The Republic of Rome. It hits all your targets, although less on the economics, I suppose, but one of the best games ever made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Trajan. Not much theme, yes, but it's a very enjoyable game, especially if you like Mancala.

Have you tried looking into Civ games? There are a number of good ones, including Clash of Cultures, Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game, and Nations that all cover these periods. With Nations and Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization, you can choose to stop after the Medieval Ages. I think Clash of Cultures would be the best choice for you though based on the games you enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Zadiraka
United States
Holland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Imperium Romanum II

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.