Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the opportunity to play test Skull & Shackles at Gamestorm recently.

I played the Alchemist which I found to be a great new character and different than those in RotR. Some of the other characters looked interesting too.

The scenario was a ship race which acted quite differently than the more common find and defeat the villain scenarios. But I think it was unusual for the entire Adventure Path and so would not assume it means any great change in normal play.

I can't say much about specific cards and they are undergoing testing and no doubt changing still.

It was just fun to get to play the new set early and to get a feel for a new class of character.

What I came away wondering though is how to integrate a new character, such as the Alchemist, with the current Adventure Path. While it would be easy to just use his character card, he actually benefits most from certain items in the S&S set that he can use in interesting ways. So will it be necessary to add some items or other special cards from Skulls and Shackles when playing one of the new characters in the old RotR set?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
LIHUE
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What other Characters were there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Paizo's website:

Paizo wrote:
New character classes: We're bringing seven new character classes from the Pathfinder RPG to the Pathfinder ACG. The Oracle, Gunslinger, Magus, and Swashbuckler will debut in the Skull & Shackles Base Set, along with the returning Bard, Fighter, and Rogue. The Skull & Shackles Character Add-On Deck will introduce the Alchemist, Witch, and Warpriest, along with the Druid. (Not familiar with the Swashbuckler or the Warpriest? They appear in the upcoming Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide—check tomorrow's Paizo blog for more on that!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though they did not have me sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement, I feel unable to discuss any real details, like specific new cards.

I will say that my girlfriend played her usual Merisiel though as given in the new set and she thought it was good.

I played the Alchemist which, when I looked it up, appears will be in the S&S Character add-on deck and not in the base set.

Paizo has announced:
Core set: 7 character classes to choose from, including 4 brand-new ones: Gunslinger, Magus, Oracle, and Swashbuckler.
http://paizo.com/products/btpy92zj?Pathfinder-Adventure-Card...
Character add-on: Alchemist, Warpriest, and Witch
http://paizo.com/products/btpy92zk?Pathfinder-Adventure-Card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain FREOUR
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
From Paizo's website:

Paizo wrote:
New character classes: We're bringing seven new character classes from the Pathfinder RPG to the Pathfinder ACG. The Oracle, Gunslinger, Magus, and Swashbuckler will debut in the Skull & Shackles Base Set, along with the returning Bard, Fighter, and Rogue. The Skull & Shackles Character Add-On Deck will introduce the Alchemist, Witch, and Warpriest, along with the Druid. (Not familiar with the Swashbuckler or the Warpriest? They appear in the upcoming Pathfinder RPG Advanced Class Guide—check tomorrow's Paizo blog for more on that!)

I am happy to see the Rogue (Merisiel or another one? We will see later. Obviously, I would be happy to share an adventurous trip with Merisiel again) and the Fighter (Valeros), but the bard was not my prefered character.
I hope some changes have been brought to the "old" characters from Rise of the Runelords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freourslc wrote:
269Hawkmoon wrote:
From Paizo's website:

Paizo wrote:

I am happy to see the Rogue (Merisiel or another one? We will see later. Obviously, I would be happy to share an adventurous trip with Merisiel again) and the Fighter (Valeros), but the bard was not my prefered character.
I hope some changes have been brought to the "old" characters from Rise of the Runelords.

Then your hopes will be fulfilled.
http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lfjc&page=2?Shiver-Me-T...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Water
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Even though Pathfinder is a fantastic game it could do with a bit of upgrading. In Rise of the Runelords for example if the scenario card babbles about undead which need to be destroyed, the locations contain mainly... Goblins. Epic fail.

The Lord of the Rings cardgame handles this much better. If the scenario says you're leading Golum somewhere then by Golly you are actually leading him somewhere (with Golum kicking and screaming and throwing a tantrum mind you).

Has this been fixed in Skull & Shackles or is it basically the same game, but with different artwork?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play both games and they're very different and I think Skulls & Shackles will be much more like the Rise of the Runelords PACG than The Lord of the Ring LCG.

I agree that The Lord of the Rings LCG creates amazing scenarios that have a wonderful story-like appeal.

Skulls & Shackles, from my single test game, was basically the same as it's predecessor in that you play a single character with other players forming your party and the scenario consisted of location cards with decks of bane and boon cards to encounter. The rules stay pretty much the same.

In S&S though, there are ships. And in the scenario we played the goal was to race other ships rather than defeat a Villian.

Still, though the goal was different, the play was much the same.

So I would say it's much the same game with a few new elements, including new character types, ships and guns.

As a fan of the Pathfinder Card game, I'll enjoy playing it. But I would not expect anything like the LotR LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Water
Netherlands
flag msg tools
SirRoke wrote:
In S&S though, there are ships. And in the scenario we played the goal was to race other ships rather than defeat a Villian.

Are the ships like a location, or is it a different mechanism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bertje wrote:
Are the ships like a location, or is it a different mechanism?

It has been several months and I only played once but my vague (and error prone memory) seems to recall we (the players) had a ship which passed from player to player along with their turn as well as there were ships in each location deck, like a Henchman.

Most of the game played the same in terms of characters and cards and checks and combat and boons and banes and locations. But the ships did add something a little different and I played a new character who felt quite different (Alchemist) than any I've played in the RotR set.

My group is waiting for the final adventure "Spires of Xin-Shalast" to complete our Adventure Path in Rise of the Runelords.

We've decided to take a break for a few months before starting Skulls & Shackles. But we do plan on playing it, probably in the winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.