Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please help me select three or four items from the following. Here are a couple of things to know about us. We love Stone Age, Waterdeep, Dominion, and Carcassonne. We like Village and Power Grid. We're not huge fans of Kingsburg or 7 Wonders (though we have not given up on it). Here is what we are considering:

Tzolk'in
Keyflower
Pillars of the Earth
Suburbia
Alhambra Big Box
Lancaster
Snowdonia
Small World
Libertalia
Seasons
Euphoria
Cyclades

It seems like we are most comfortable with games weighted in the 2.5 area. I worry that some of these are too heavy, but would love to hear your thoughts. Also, I am certain that I am vulnerable to appeal of the 'Cult of the New.' Looking forward to hearing the wisdom of experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmine Migliore
United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
of the 8 games you have listed, I only own Carcassone and 7 Wonders. I think they are fine, nothing special.

I've played Stone Age and it is good, Village is on the way (should arrive tomorrow).

Of the other games you are requesting a recommendation I own Tzolkin, Keyflower, Suburbia and Seasons; played Small World and want to try Cyclades.

Keyflower is just amazing, not heavy and scales well with any numbers.
Same for Seasons, they just have completely different mechanics. The first is auction and worker placement above all, the latter is deck building.

Suburbia is not bad but I wouldn't recommend it. I found it not so re-playable, after two plays you already know what to buy and when. The secret goal didn't let me sell the game.

Tzolkin in my opinion is the heaviest of the list, you need at least a couple of plays before going into it but in the end it is a really good game.

Since you didn't give any clue about your tastes, I would recommend on mine. So get:

Keyflower
Seasons
Tzolkin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should really enjoy Alhanmbra Big Box.

You may also want to consider Kingdom Builder. It's light and plays quickly but still has some good decisions along the way.

Lancaster is really good, but you need 3 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the responses! I think Keyflower has to be one. Kingdom Builder would have been on the list except I know that it's big box will be released soon. Pillars is one that I'm leaning toward because we love games that look great. I've heard pillars is beautiful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Id suggest for you..

Pillars of the Earth
Stoneage
Cyclades

I would add Lancaster but you probably dont want to many worker placements and Lancaster really plays best 4-5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitrijs Zulenkovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okduke wrote:
Kingdom Builder would have been on the list except I know that it's big box will be released soon.

Isn't it on Kickstarter right now? Or maybe it's over already.

okduke wrote:
we love games that look great

Then go for Cyclades (if constant conflicts are ok for you, certainly this is not a family game) and Tzolk'in (You like Waterdeep, so you will like this one I guess), they're not heavy. Both have beautiful components. If you take Cyclades, don't forget Hades expansion, makes it even more interesting to play and adds lots of good-looking stuff as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia is a great game.

It's not too heavy and is fairly easy to learn. What makes it nice is the weather changes and the middle man mechanic of a third party advancement which keeps the tension up. You can also play this game solo for fun with each train card that comes with the game, just to see what kind of a score you can get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.