BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I can only buy another game after I've played.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always a lot of discussion here about the idea that we should get a good amount of play out of our existing games before we buy more (needless to say, some people are for and some are against).

I like the idea in principle, but I'm sort of at a loss for how to decide when I've played existing games "enough", so I'm curious about what standards you've set for yourself.

Some of the ideas I've seen or considered are:

-Must play every game I own at least once before buying any new ones
-Must play every game I own at least 5/10/25 times before buying any new ones
-Must play 10 pre-selected games 10 times each before buying any new ones
-Must log 25 plays of any combination of games I own before buying any new ones

Has anyone else created "rules" like this? How are they working out? Do they actually give you a sense that your game purchasing is reasonable in the long term?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laura b
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dunyazad wrote:

Has anyone else created "rules" like this? How are they working out? Do they actually give you a sense that your game purchasing is reasonable in the long term?

we must have played at least 5 times and understand and know the rules of each game before buying another

we must have paid all the bills and have enough to get food after paying for the game

thats about it lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gerstenhaber
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
Personally I think if you want to buy something new and you have the money do it. Part of the fun for me is the collecting and the learning about different games. what you buy and how often should be dictated by your financial situation and desire. Nothing else.

As far as playtime? Well, what I have found in my game group is that the games that resonate, hit the table. So We have played Puerto Rico countless times, and Risk Legacy, zero times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitrijs Zulenkovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Must trade\sell the ones, which have a layer of dust on the box.
2) Must buy whatever I like
3) Must not buy the things, someone else has, brings all the time and is the only person I am usually playing the thing with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Variety is the spice of life, the more games you have the less likely it is you will get bored of any 1 single game. Just don't buy games youl never play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
siruf wrote:

3) Must not buy the things, someone else has, brings all the time and is the only person I am usually playing the thing with.

I thought that once too. Now that guy who had some nice stuff moved away and I'd like to have some of the now OOP games that we played back then and I didn't care to buy cause he owned them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a specific number or anything like that, but I want to get some value out of my money. In my old group, that was easy because we just kept playing the same few games, 1 to the point that we kept tweaking it. In my current group, it is more difficult because they tend to jump around a lot, and I may only get 1 or 2 plays out of a game. The game that I have the most opportunity to play has numerous expansions to keep up with & has gone in a direction that has annoyed me to the point that I won't play it ever again, even if my potential opponent agreed to limit his forces to the early stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only real rule is, before buying new games, I should look at my shelf of unplayed games and think about why each one is there. If that doesn't dissuade me from a purchase, the purchase isn't a bad idea-- i.e. if I think "wow, there are a bunch of filler games there; I guess I don't play those lately", then I don't need more filler games.

Likewise the "played and ready to trade it" shelf.

This allows for a steady increase, so at some point that might mean I have too many played-once-and-liked-it games. But at that point, I figure, same deal with those? We'll see. Played-once-and-liked-it games take up a lot less emotional space, because I generally know I could teach them and have the first game go smoothly. It's less like unfinished WORK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My name is Andy, and I'm a gamebuyingaholic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laura b
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

hey andy my name is laura and I would like to be a gamebuyingaholic but we have too many bills to pay and not enough income or as we fondly call it
poor

lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't make up rules for when to buy. If I think the game is good and I will like it, I just go get it before it goes out of print or if the price is right.

I'll play whatever I like at leisure so I don't get all stressed out about it. It would feel more like a job than fun if I had to do that.

The only thing that stresses me out is losing a game piece.

It's all about whether you're having fun at your own pace or not (at least for me it is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Locu wrote:
siruf wrote:

I thought that once too. Now that guy who had some nice stuff moved away and I'd like to have some of the now OOP games that we played back then and I didn't care to buy cause he owned them

I get wee frustrated when people in my group go buy the game we just played out of my collection because we enjoyed it...

It's not a go find your own good game feeling...it's more a...damn, spend your money on something different we can learn and try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fredrick berlik
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

Most people on BGG are gamebuyingaholics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

all together now: "HI, ANDY!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
... my previous purchases.

The first game is a learning game. Never rate a game after only one play.

If the game does not 'take off' after 3 plays, give it a rest and return to it sometime later. Tastes change through time, and the game may work better for a different group (or number of players).

Keep your eyes open for new games, but do your research. Do not buy games that you're not confident about getting ratings of 8 or above. Do not buy nice-to-have games, or games just because they are on sale. Do not buy games that you can not get played due to time or other suitability for the group.

Only consider games that fill niches that you can not otherwise fill. If a game you consider majorly overlaps an existing game, it has to be much better than the game you already have. Expansions can handle incremental improvements.

Play to win, but not at all costs. Striving to win is the fun part, not winning itself. Epic wins and losses are equally remembered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LargeGoblin
msg tools
Sometimes, I think I should just play my games more instead of buying new ones, but then I worry about a game not being in print later when I want to play it. This has happened to me a few times. I'll usually go back and play my older games because I play board games 5-7 times a week anyway, and it's nice to be able to mix it up and play something else before the current game gets old and I don't want to play it any more.

Luckily for me, my taste in games is very specific (only interested in co-op/solo games), so there aren't that many interesting games that come out anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there should be any hard and fast rules as long as you do have a grasp on yourself. Naff word to use, but as long as you respect your collection and feel money in is adequately offset by the enjoyment you've had, so what?

The simplest reduction of this is presumably the "price per play" figure, which I constantly hear being mocked by various people. Play what you like, play what you enjoy, and if a game hasn't gotten any play, maybe the right choice is to trade it for something else you like the look of. Making yourself play games for the sake of it to allow you to by new ones is just wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wishlist mostly has games on it that are a couple of years old and I usually try to buy these at a good price - but it's by no means a hard and fast rule .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unsolvable Riddle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still have ~20 shrink wrapped games
They'll get played eventually, maybe never (half are "added due to shipping cost removal" or "on sale for ~5$...worst case i can use the components for other stuff")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve W
United Kingdom
Willenhall
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want the game and see it come up for a good price then I buy it, irrespective of how many unplayed games I have.

Board games aren't like CDs or DVDs where they'll stay available at a fairly steady price. If the game doesn't explode in popularity there will come a time where it's really hard to get hold of a copy and I think I'm far more likely to regret a purchase I didn't make than one I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have slowed down considerably in my game buying but I still do place orders on occasion despite having unplayed games on my shelves. I am in the midst of the Play 10 Games 10 Times Challenge because I have found that that works so well for us. Most of our game playing is 2p, just me and my husband and then I have a game group that tends to play several games over and over.

In order to get to the unplayed games I have decided to go slowly and play each new game 3-5 times prior to going on to the next new game. We really like repeated game play, not only to cement the rules in our heads, but also because that allows us to really discover a game. When we do happen across a game that is just frustrating to us and absolutely NO fun (Suburbia!) then that just goes right onto our trade list rather than waste time with more plays beyond the 3-5. No matter how good a game is, no game is right for everyone.

I have always researched the heck out of games before buying and have gotten better at identifying those we will like. Sometimes I make an error, but not so often anymore. I am much more selective about games that I really have to have now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
Aliso Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a rule of thumb with my fiancee about board game buying and here it is:

a) I can only buy games each year at Xmas time, the upper limit is $200 each year.

b) I can sell/trade games in the mean time. Something comes in, something has to go out.

c) When a game on my wishlist goes on sale for at least 50% and somehow I can get free shipping, then I get to buy.

d) Friends coming to visit the USA from my home country can bring me OOP games will have the amount of $ deducted from the $200 each year.

I am also giving myself a challenge. For $1 spent on a game, I need to get 1 play in for that game. So as you can see filler card games gets to this status easily while big board games cannot. This actually made me want to play my board games all the time and playing filler only when the mood/situation is right.

The best thing about my challenge is, when I make a purchase I will think really hard. Will this game give me 40 plays? Can I really make it? This thought process has eliminated my need to own games such as Mice and Mystics and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition).

Now I only need to have a rule on spending $ on board game related items like accessories and IOS board games....I am getting there. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:
I get wee frustrated when people in my group go buy the game we just played out of my collection because we enjoyed it...

It's not a go find your own good game feeling...it's more a...damn, spend your money on something different we can learn and try.

I know this feel. We have a pretty large game group (like 20 people) and whenever a game is received well, you can pretty much rely on 1 or 2 other people buying it, which means we have superfluous copies sitting around. Not only does it mean that your particular copy of a game may not ever get played again, it also means that it's hard to keep up with whose copy is whose (which isn't a huge deal, but can lead to huffiness b/c some people have expansions, are particular about organization or condition, etc.). So u less you're buying it to play solo or with a different group, don't buy a game that someone in your group already has.

I'm almost to a point where I need to get rid of a game before I can buy a new one. I only have about 30 games, which isn't a ton by BGG standards. But they're already taking up as much space as I'm comfortable devoting to them. I know I could never stick to such a rule, but at least it would force me to ask whether I need another deckbuilder when I have 3 on the shelf already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oph1d1an wrote:
it's hard to keep up with whose copy is whose

Never heard of labeling things? I printed out a sticker with lots of rows and columns of my e-mail address, clipping out one element/cell each time I need to "make things mine" and it has lasted for years and years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right now, I am in a lull for buying new games. I have been buying some expansions, but I do usually make these ideas up too. I don't have strict rules for myself, but I think about it. Usually I have a couple games I want to play inside my collection. For example, I bought Krosmaster Arena a while ago and haven't played much of it. There are a few more games that I haven't played too many times and don't feel like I know if I like them or not. That will drive me to figure that out before I buy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.