Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

This has been posted on the FFG website.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4721

Stinks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Nice! Should be coming out next week/month...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si Barnes
United Kingdom
Halifax
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be awesome if it was out next week but I think more likely next month. Can't wait for this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooo! Confirmed more mythos cards at the bottom!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It has a May release date on FFG's Upcoming page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems we shall not expect a lot of innovation with the Mysteries. They follow the same pattern as the rest of existing ones. Hope they surprise us in the future introducing something truly different in such a basic and important game mechanic.

The new Epic Children of Yig, on the other hand, brings a new mechanic for a monster that, with a simple twist, gives them a touch of personality and unique behaviour. Kudos to whoever is designing the monsters of this game. Pure genious in game designing.

And glad to see new Mythos cards comfirmed. New Rumors wll be most welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
Seems we shall not expect a lot of innovation with the Mysteries. They follow the same pattern as the rest of existing ones. Hope they surprise us in the future introducing something truly different in such a basic and important game mechanic.

Yep - I was yawning by the end of the preview. I hope these are the three least interesting mysteries, though I'm guessing that's not the case as obviously there'll be a bog-standard "collect clues" mystery as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Acererak wrote:

Yep - I was yawning by the end of the preview. I hope these are the three least interesting mysteries, though I'm guessing that's not the case as obviously there'll be a bog-standard "collect clues" mystery as well.

There is, as shown in the About section. Is called Migration of Serpents and just moves clues to Expedition spaces and then you need to grab a number equal to players. Same as the rest of GOOs

Then in some images we are shown a fith one, The Winged Serpent, which is just another Epic monster to kill.

Just one left in the shadows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah looked kind of boring. The only noteworthy revelation was an Epic monster with Observation test instead of Will test. Failing said test, the monster seems to moves around making you chase it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Was auto buy, now it is wait and read reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Not really disappointed with Mysteries being business as usual, I've expected and would have wanted to have staples like "research tax, epic monster, collect Eldritch tokens" to continue at the core of each AO at least, to maintain coherence.

Something newer (Mystery or otherwise) might have made more interesting preview content though.

That said, those Children of Yig sound pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H E
msg tools
mb
I have to say I like what I've seen so far. This is certainly a must buy when it's released. And I haven't even played Eldritch yet, will do my first (solo) game tonight. Really looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Not really disappointed with Mysteries being business as usual, I've expected and would have wanted to have staples like "research tax, epic monster, collect Eldritch tokens" to continue at the core of each AO at least, to maintain coherence.

There's coherence, and then there's blandness. One thing that set EH apart from AH was that each ancient one had a different feel to it. The mysteries were the weak link in that, though. In the original Eldritch Horror game, there were four basic mysteries-- the three you mentioned, plus "accomplish X and burn clues". Each AO got three of the four, plus one that branched out a bit from the basic four.

Forsaken Lore seems to have taken those ones that branched out and made the ancient one unique, and recycled those. By all appearances, we're going to have seven basic mysteries, with each ancient one having six of the seven. Or, if I'm reading it right, maybe four or five of the seven basic mysteries, with one or two of those basic ones repeating.

Yawn.

Edit, after looking through the mysteries to verify what I said: this is a bit of a generalization, but not too far off. My issue with the teaser shown was that none of the mysteries shown was really new, and one of them duplicated a mystery that previously had been unique to Chthulu, lessening his uniqueness. The grasshopper epic monster was about as different as we got, which is probably why people are commenting favorably on that one.

I hope that in future expansions, they're willing to break out of the mold more-- and, of course, I'm still hoping that the things we haven't seen have more variety than the ones we have seen-- that they saved the best for the unboxing.)

I'll still buy this one; I want the additional encounter cards, and having an ancient one that clusters around expeditions is a nice change. But I'm not going gaga over anything shown so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:

The point of having different cards and a different scenario for each AO is to do away with coherence. If I wanted all the AOs to feel the same when playing against them, I'd play Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are going to be 6 mysteries pero GOO, that is confirmed in the previews.

Also, the new Epic monsters and some other info in the previews also suggest each GOO except Azathoth will have two mysteries related to killing an epic monster. Azathoth will have just one.

Which seems to me that each GOO will at least mantain some subtle differences regarding Mysteries to the rest, but most of the mysteries will be shared in terms of game mechanics. I think they could have taken some more risks in this area, but still I can accept it in the base game plus this first mini expansion. For the future we need some innovation in this department.

As for the rest, this is a much needed expansion if you like the game in term of variety for all areas, so I am fine with it and will definitely get ti. Maybe not superexcited either by anything announced so far, also true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Gaskill
United States
Bridgeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre ordered with CSI as soon as it was available.
For a mini expansion I feel it does the job with a new GOO
& some additions for the base game.

I think FFG will continue to add more variety in future expansions
& frankly I don't play EH on a regular basis so there is still
a lot of replay value for me before it would get stale.

OD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While the mysteries may fit a pattern such as "spend clues", don't overlook that fact that gaining the clues will depend on the research encounters for the particular AO - the precise nature of the tests etc could vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Busby
United Kingdom
Southampton
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A little variety with the mysteries would be welcome though. What about a mystery which immediately opened X / 2 gates open and was only resolved when all all the active gates had been closed or a mystery which had you visiting major cities trying to root out the cultists that had infiltrated the governments. Or perhaps a mystery that involved dragging "hot potato" items back to Arkham/London/Tokyo for a more thorough investigation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Bao
msg tools
The kinds of things you're describing sound like they'd fit better as Mythos cards rather than Mystery Cards.

As far as I can tell, mystery cards are your primary motivation to hunt down clues. If they produced a Mystery card that didn't require clues to solve, then that basically amounts to a temporary halt in clue collection.

This could be a good or bad thing in your book, but personally I think there is a danger in removing the incentive to interact with a key part of the game, even for a small amount of time.

Of course, I do realize that clues have other uses, such as re-rolls and not getting hurt by certain Encounter and Mythos cards, but I think that if you removed Mysteries as a "clue sink" that would still remove the pressing need to collect so many clues.

That being said, I could foresee a scenario where you'd have to spend a clue or two to close down gates that spawn during a Mystery, allowing you to put an Eldritch token on the Mystery for every gate closed in that way. But at the end of the day, I just don't think it's a good idea to divorce clues from Mysteries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
The only thing that I hope this and future expansion adds more of is rumor cards, cause those are currently the only ones I've become overly familiar with, even after couple of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
The only thing that I hope this and future expansion adds more of is rumor cards, cause those are currently the only ones I've become overly familiar with, even after couple of games.

More mythos cards have been confirmed in last preview. I would be very surprise if those did not include new Rumors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Acererak wrote:
More mythos cards have been confirmed in last preview.

Really? Where? I saw mention of more mystery cards, and more encounter cards, but no mention of mythos cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariano Rico
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xelto wrote:
Acererak wrote:
More mythos cards have been confirmed in last preview.

Really? Where? I saw mention of more mystery cards, and more encounter cards, but no mention of mythos cards.

Last entry, under Pre-Order Today :

"...along with hundreds of new cards, including encounters, mysteries, conditions, Mythos cards, and more!"

Edit : there is one shown in the advertising banner in this same web (not rumor one though)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H E
msg tools
mb
MountainMaverick wrote:
I've never looked forward to an expansion for any game this much in 25 years of gaming.

I'm excited as hell too! Really lookung forward to this. I was late to the Arkham party and alwats get confuses when trying to decide which expansion I should get first. With Eldritch I can just get whatever is released as it's released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
MountainMaverick wrote:
I've never looked forward to an expansion for any game this much in 25 years of gaming.

Same here. EH is amazing game! With expansions is just geting better! Cannot wait too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.