Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the WW2 Rules for using Squad Leader counters in Fire Team:
http://www.fclarke.com/2014/03/fire-team-wwii.html

Infantry use unchanged values, armour is new, tank penetration based on centimeters of armour, caliber (such as L70 on the Panther), and bore diameter.

Use standard sources for vehicle data, converting to centimeters.
I haven't looked at artillery yet, but the Soviet 120mm mortar is in both SL and FT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Southard
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
It might amuse you to know that Fire Team's whole chit system -- the sequence of play and command system that's at the heart of the game -- was designed using a couple of Squad Leader boards, SL pieces, and SL combat rules. That way I could get the central engine of the game working right without having to design a whole combat system. Now you have brought it full circle! Thanks for this contribution. Good gaming to you.

Jon Southard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jon,
Doesn't surprise me at all . Squad Leader is still a great game, although they never did get around to having human factors like platoons and fear.
There is a lot of fun to be had with a few hex maps, some counters and making up your own rules. Especially with the images and easy printing we have in the Information Age.
So thanks again for all your good work, and happy gaming to you too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Clarke
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the subject of Squad Leader, I do have AI rules that could be used for solo Fire Team:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1189920/artificial-intellige...

SMC/MMC means Leaders/Squads. Ignore "Hesitation" for Fire Team.
Or add this rule:
Hesitation means that if you move from cover to the open within normal range and LOS of the enemy, throw a D6. A 5 or a 6 means the move didn't happen, stay in cover. Initiative wasted. If stacked with a leader, only a 6 means the move didn't happen.
For armored vehicles "normal range" is a range at which you could be killed by anything with LOS.

(This is an oversimplified form of Retro hesitation. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15081/retro-tactical-wwii.... Retro is excellent for Squad Leader, although it doesn't fit well with a chit-based system)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris nelson
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jsouthard wrote:
It might amuse you to know that Fire Team's whole chit system -- the sequence of play and command system that's at the heart of the game -- was designed using a couple of Squad Leader boards, SL pieces, and SL combat rules. That way I could get the central engine of the game working right without having to design a whole combat system. Now you have brought it full circle! Thanks for this contribution. Good gaming to you.

Jon Southard

I find that interesting, cuz years ago I had an extra copy of squad leader and came very close to working up a chit pull version based on Fire Team. I think I was going to use dry transfers to create/label the platoons. Alas I sold that extra copy before I could implement that idea. I always felt there was a good WWII version of the game waiting to be created.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris nelson
United States
minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Further thoughts. I just remembered, years ago my buddy and I were all set to play Fire Team at Gencon when I discovered upon opening the box, that I did not have the maps in there. Rather than playing something else, we ended up using Squad Leader maps instead. It worked fine IIRC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.