Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Smith
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I run a program where kids (5-11) have about 15-20 minutes of free time as other kids arrive. We've been doing various stations like art, legos, foosball and the like.

A couple of weeks ago I introduced Gobblet Gobblers and it gained quick popularity.

What other games are there that could be played with a quick turnover (game ends in 5 minutes) but at the same time is simple enough to learn and complex enough to enjoy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombie Dice is a great game and my 6 year really likes it. If the theme is an issue, there is a Dino Hunt Dice version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoridor
Quoridor Kid

+ a few other Gigamic games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Animal Upon Animal is great for all ages and quick. All the HABA - Habermaaß GmbH are good!

They seem a little "young" at first glance but are great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tales & Games: The Three Little Pigs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My kids (7 and 10) have always liked Rat-a-Tat Cat (although they have grown out of it a bit), and they have recently discovered and love The Magic Labyrinth. They also really enjoy Magical Athlete, but without the auction at the beginning. I find it really tedious, but I have fun rolling, moving, and foiling plans with super-powers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lui
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turbo Rally Card Racing

When the nephews come over, I usually have this one on hand and you can remove and add some of the additional cards to make it easier or more complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris [REDACTED]
United States
Arkham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Click Clack Lumberjack - favorite for a while now. Great party game.

Coconuts - same company, and ridiculously fun.

Shake 'n Take - played this one with a friend and his 8yo daughter. Surprisingly good, and plays very fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
aurora
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Though a little longer but insanely fun try King Of Tokyo. King of Tokyo Takes us about 15 minutes for ages 9 5 and 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Bunny Bunny Moose Moose ?

They might be too young to have a great grasp of history, but I would have been all over Timeline: Events at that age.

Did you ever stop and realize that The Resistance: Avalon shares lineage with Heads Up 7 Up ? It's just less tactile and has a logical component to it.

There's a PnP PC version for Two Rooms and a Boom but it doesn't make much sense at all. I imagine that it would wind everyone up a little much though .

No Thanks! is short and sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel J.
Mongolia
Ulaanbaatar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saboteur is a really great lil game, very easy to teach and fun to play. A game usually lasts 15-25 mins. Well worth checking out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sonya ~
United States
California
flag msg tools
Batik is a very quick game -- a round can be played in under five minutes, including set up and clean up. I wouldn't exactly call Batik "complex", but it is interesting to see how the pieces fit together, especially because they sometimes bounce and settle in somewhat unexpected ways. It's like a game and a spatial puzzle all in one. It is lightly competitive and somehow very satisfying.

When I volunteered as a tutor, I used to bring games like Batik and ThinkFun's RushHour for the kids to play as a reward for working hard during our tutoring sessions. My elementary students were always very glad to play a few quick rounds of either of these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

Loopin' Louie if you don't mind the noise!

Unnamed Object works with that age and only takes about 5-10 mins to play, and even takes up to 8 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Monza is a great little game, totally fits your bill.

And it's "Lego". Please please please America, it's "Lego" not "Legos"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smith
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Monza is a great little game, totally fits your bill.

And it's "Lego". Please please please America, it's "Lego" not "Legos"!

Wow, I had no idea that there was such debate. I suppose everything on the internet has people that will go to battle for it. (I'm not referring to your post as going to battle, I did a search for LEGO plural and saw all the flame wars.)

We're branching slightly off topic, but I see your point. However, it is not "Lego" it is "LEGO" and I suppose I should have said LEGO bricks in order to make the point that we were playing with the toys that they produce rather than the company itself...but that's the nice thing about language - I think everyone understood what I was saying.

While I understand a company's need to protect its trademark, the general use of Q-Tips rather than Q-Tip cotton swab, Kleenex rather than Kleenex tissues, and numerous other examples has lead us to the point of calling them Legos rather than LEGO building bricks. And, for the record, we only use LEGO bricks, the rest are far inferior.

So, thanks - I see your point and I hope you see mine as well.

Moving on....

Edit: to clarify about the "battle" comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pentago has always gone down well with my kids, plays quick, resets in seconds, 2 player only though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
multiple copies of Dino Hunt Dice
the Timeline series (educational!)
The Magic Labyrinth is fantastic and still has a pretty good price on Amazon.

Also kids love Space Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.