20 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Negh'Var-class vs. Vor'cha-class rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
a g
United States
flag msg tools
how do some of you this the Negh'Var-class compares to the Vor'cha-class? Which do you prefer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the Negh'var to the Vor'cha class because for a mere 2 SP you get another hull point and everything else is the exact same - firing arc, movement dial, etc.

However, the Maht-H'a has a much more useful special abilty (enemy attacks at -1 die at range 1) than the Negh'var (Action: 3 dice vs shields and Klingon Boarding Party action as free action if possible).

I've never used the Negh'var ability as precious actions are better spent elsewhere and the Maht-H'a ability is passive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I run Vorcha every time. The Maht-H'A/Vorcha does have 2 extra green maneuvers that are white on the Negh'var, which certainly helps, especially when you run Barrage of Fire (to get rid of those Aux Power tokens). If you think that each attack die has a 50% chance of a hit, if you get attacked twice at range 1, and each attack gets 1 less attack die off of the Math-H'A ability, then it evens out with the 1 extra hull of the Negh'var. I don't think I have ever used the Negh'var's special ability.

Then I have also compared a Negh'var to a generic Vorcha. For the 4 SP difference, the generic Vorcha can run Bu'Kah and be at the 30 SP for the named Negh'var. Bu'Kah can take care of 2 hits (even crits), whereas the Negh'var just gets an extra hull and an extra shield. I've taken the generic option over the named Negh'var.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
I prefer the Negh'var to the Vor'cha class because for a mere 2 SP you get another hull point and everything else is the exact same - firing arc, movement dial, etc.

The movement dial is NOT the same. You get the same moves, yes...but the Vorcha has 2 green maneuvers that are white on the Negh'var (the 2-bank-left and the 2-bank-right)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually had the ability used against me a few times, although never with the boarding party. It did take down enough shields to be irritating. Can't remember if it led to a ship's destruction. It can be beneficial if Martok 8 is on another ship.

Just double checked and the 2-banks are green for the Vor'cha, white for the Negh'var, but if I can spare the points I'll go for the named of each, and the Negh'var if possible just for the beefyness, but there's often something more important to spend those points on, so the Vor'cha wins. I still think those two ships, along with the Valdore, are the most powerful in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hawke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really really want to get the Negh'Var special to fire

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the Named Negh'Var is ok if you can ever get the ability to go off. Other than that, I would almost always take a generic Vor'Cha over the generic Negh'Var any day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
Stormtrooper721 wrote:

The movement dial is NOT the same. You get the same moves, yes...but the Vorcha has 2 green maneuvers that are white on the Negh'var (the 2-bank-left and the 2-bank-right)

In fact, I believe EVERY SINGLE Klingon ship can do the same maneuvers, it's just the red/green differentials that are different as you say.

EDIT: to answer the original question, I suppose I like both. The Negh'var makes a good Barrage of Fire support with its ability, though it is unreliable compared to Projected Stasis Field, for instance. But the Vorcha is more fun on its own in a scrap, especially with Worf/N'Garen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
Stormtrooper721 wrote:

Sorry, my bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've enjoyed a lot of OP Success with:

1x Negvhar/Negvhar-class
2x Mahta/Vorcha-class

In some configuration. Klingons are the one faction where I didn't just always default to the unique, because you're usually coming in cloaked so that extra shield is going to be disabled anyways. The Mah'ta ability is really nice when it works, and the Neg'vhar ability is potent in a very specific circumstance (even without the Boarding Party), but neither are the kind of thing you'd build your ship or your fleet around.

Those 2-6 points you save "going generic" on Klingon ships are pretty important, as you really want to include a handful of Klingon's powerful captains/upgrades: Martok, Koloth, Worf, Drex, and N'Garen. You also want the 5 Point Command Tokens. Which usually only leaves you enough points to bump one of your three Vorchas to unique status -OR- you can bump one Vorcha up to generic Neg'vhar. In that circumstance, I'd prefer the Mah'ta and two Vorchas.

But, alas, most people don't own triple Vorchas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the biggest downside of the Negh'var right now is that its special ability is the worst in the game. I can think of none worse. I've never even seen it used.

It costs a precious action, requires that you have the 5-point Klingon Boarding Party, and may not work anyway.

Seriously, is there a worse unique ship special ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghost Runner
msg tools
mb
One case where Negh'Var's ability can be a HUGE effect (but I've never been able to pull it off):

Put a lower skill Captain on the Negh'Var, so it will move before you high-skill opponent in his Valdore or other Cloaking ship (that fired last turn).

Drain his shields with your action.

Then look at this face when he is told he can't use his shields, or CLOAK that turn.

Again - very hard to pull off, but would be a game-winning move if done right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes getting that extra shield down on an enemy could be good. And if you want a worse special action, look at the 5th Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I've managed to get off Klingon Boarding Party with the IKS Negh'var before. It completely shut down the remaining ship of a 2 ship build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Smith
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
Sometimes getting that extra shield down on an enemy could be good. And if you want a worse special action, look at the 5th Wing.

Again, my bad. That is a terrible ability. My sincere apollogies to Jem'Hader players and fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
PenguinBonaparte wrote:

Again, my bad. That is a terrible ability. My sincere apollogies to Jem'Hader players and fans.

Not a problem. It's just motivation to only run the generic attack ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
PenguinBonaparte wrote:

Not a problem. It's just motivation to only run the generic anything but the attack ship.

But I laughed at your reaction Steve! I keep taking the named ones for the extra shield, but some of these posts are making me think I could do better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PenguinBonaparte wrote:
Novacat wrote:
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
PenguinBonaparte wrote:

Not a problem. It's just motivation to only run the generic anything but the attack ship.

But I laughed at your reaction Steve! I keep taking the named ones for the extra shield, but some of these posts are making me think I could do better.

Once upon a time, I would have agreed with you, but with the 4th Division Battleship and its 4-die Phased Polaron Beam, I wonder if they can't be useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Langland
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Stormtrooper721 wrote:
PenguinBonaparte wrote:

I've actually found that ability to be quite good with Omet'lklan. It is actually better than battle stations or target lock offensively.

Of course, the ship has to survive, but that isn't the ability's fault...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penguin Bonaparte
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you know you're in the clear, but on the whole I think the battlestations is a better use. All the non passive abilities stink, tbh. The Negh'var though could be useful in some situations, since you've probably got more hull than your enemy, esp. if you shoot first. But if Martok 8's nearby it could work out well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.