James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, page 14, 11.1 Disruption Effects wrote:
Disrupted units cannot: ...
[*]Redeploy or Return to Base during Buildup (see 16.5)

Rulebook, page 20, 16.51 Redeployment wrote:
During building, individual undisrupted units can by moved without reference to Groups by Redeployment

Rulebook, page 20, 16.52 Return for Refit wrote:
Instead of Redeploying to Base, undisrupted units can Return for Refit at no cost but then become unavailable to receive Replacements, or for any other use, for one Month.

This makes sense, right? Why should a disrupted unit be treated the same as any other unit? Except that my 11.1 quote and the undisrupted qualifier in the other two quotes are wasted ink. There can be no disrupted units in play, because earlier on in the buildup, this happens:
Rulebook, page 19, 16.2 Supply Check wrote:
[*]Eliminate any Unsupplied units.
[*]Recover all Supplied, unengaged, Disrupted units (turn upright).

***insert interrupting sound of scratched record here***

Whoops, I hadn't noticed that engaged units stay disrupted....

OK, I already took issue with one of the items on the 11.1 Disruption Effects list here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/130017/overrun-question. And I thought that I had found another issue here.

But it turns out that there can still be disrupted units during Redeplooyment if you have disrupted units and undisrupted units in the same battle at the end of the month. I am leaving the first half of this post unchanged, under the assumption that other players will have followed the same train of thought and will need the same moment of awareness.

I'll grant that the sidebar on page 14 is pretty full already, but I do wish there was a statement there explaining the edge-case under which that rule becomes important. Putting a limited-case rule in the same list as always-important rules such as "cannot block enemy supply lines" and "cannot form part of a friendly supply chain" disorientates me. And having it emphasized in such a list, while the one-word qualifier that validates it ('unengaged') is buried in standard text is not helpful either.

As an aside, I stand by my claim in the other thread (that the statement "Disrupted units cannot: ... Impede enemy movement" is false).

As another aside, I recently figured out that you can do a Re-Group move as a withdrawal move, which makes withdrawals more useful!

*EDIT*
As yet another aside, when tracing supply along trails and tracks, if you always think of only intervening hexes (Track = skip 2 hexes, Trail = skip 1 hex), then you don't have to bother remember then last bullet under 12.4 ([*]If different types of Road are used, the lesser Supply Range applies).

*EDIT #2*
There is no question in the above. But I've had this game for years, read the rules a number of times, and played it twice, all before realizing the parts about engaged units staying disrupted and that withdraw moves don't have to be group moves.
Thought it might help out someone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Err... is there a question in there!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Fort Polk
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha! I have found a question that should have been part of the original post, as it involves the fact that Withdrawal moves are a special type (subset?) of Group and Re-Group moves.

The Rulebook, 6.3 ROMMEL BONUS wrote:
During every Axis Player-Turn (except in 1940), the Axis player can designate any one Group or Regroup Move as Rommel’s Move. All Axis units involved in that move receive a movement bonus of +1 hex (in addition to any applicable road bonus).

6.4 FORCED MARCHES wrote:
The Active Player may attempt to Force March units one hex past their normal maximum range, at the risk of Disruption (11.0).

Are either of these potential bonuses applicable to a Withdrawal move made during a Pass turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honor wrote:
Are either of these potential bonuses applicable to a Withdrawal move made during a Pass turn?

I don't see anything saying they're not, so I think they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.