Subject: [Deck] Weyland Tower of Money rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was a thought experiment and I wanted to share. It started out as - let's take BABW and put as much trans op econ as I can and then money agendas and lots of ICE. Keep it simple and straightforward. No gimmicks, no tricks. Outmoney the runner and build big towers that keep them out. Advance agendas the old-fashioned way.

Identity:
Weyland Consortium: Building a Better World (Core)

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (9)
Geothermal Fracking (Opening Moves #17) x3
Corporate War (Future Proof #120) x3
Government Contracts (A Study in Static #77) x1
Priority Requisition (Core #106) x2

Asset (0)
ICE (25)
Bastion (Creation and Control #26) x2
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead #19) x3
Chimera (Cyber Exodus #60) x3
Curtain Wall (True Colors #78) x2
Grim (Opening Moves #20) x2
Hadrian's Wall (Core #102) x1
Wraparound (Fear and Loathing #96) x3 ■
Tollbooth (Core #90) x2 ■■
Eli 1.0 (Future Proof #110) x1 ■
Rototurret (Core #64) x1 ■
Archer (Core #101) x2
Datapike (Creation and Control #27) x3

Operation (15)
Beanstalk Royalties (Core #98) x3
Green Level Clearance (A Study in Static #70) x3 ■
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Restructure (Second Thoughts #40) x3
Successful Demonstration (Creation and Control #14) x3 ■

Upgrade (0)

Total Agenda Points: 21

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 8
Jinteki: 0
NBN: 7
The Weyland Consortium: 20

Low agenda density and all operation econ makes it very resistant to R&D hits. Every agenda supports the all out econ war. Lots of ETR ice on both ends of the spectrum, both cheap early options and solid expensive stuff for our econ and Priority Recs. Archer is questionable, because I don't fluff with 1pt agendas I can sacrifice, so is only rezzed through PR. Program trashing is available to turn early ICE back on, and I think Chimera might be an all-star when seriously winning the econ war. I know it lacks any of the common 'tricks' including tag punishment or recursion, but I wonder if it really needs them.

Thoughts on this approach? ICE composition? Agenda choices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
try caprice awesome in heavy ice decks
troubleshooter also rock when you have ton of money and program trashers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yi Sheng Siow
msg tools
Sorry to say this but this is kinda a beginner mistake.

No matter how many ice you have, the runner will always be able get into allservers given time. This is simply the truth. The working decks closest to this concept score via ash, caprice, Corp troubleshooter(boosting a destroyer)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
siowy wrote:
Sorry to say this but this is kinda a beginner mistake.

No matter how many ice you have, the runner will always be able get into allservers given time. This is simply the truth. The working decks closest to this concept score via ash, caprice, Corp troubleshooter(boosting a destroyer)

Indeed, I agree...but big ICE is still a viable strategy.

To the OP: what siowy said is correct. you have to put a couple of traps so that the runner is scared of running you.

Imagine he has to spend an inside job, and 10 credits to get into a server only to find a Junebug. You will not flatline, but he will have to spend his turn (and the next one) drawing more cards and getting more economy. This is the moment in which you install, and double advance an agenda, knowing that he will not be able to access it before you score.

Other nice tricks to make the runs more expensive could be Ash, or being stopped at the last minute by a Nisei

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Siowy said it. Sure, you'll have a crapton of money, but you've got nothing to show for it except 3 decent Ice in a deck of 49 cards. Curtain Wall and Archer are also great, but are both expensive in their own ways. You don't have any 1-pt agendas for Archer, so you'll be putting yourself farther behind in a deck with low agenda density, which isn't the best at feeding game winning agendas to a corp. This deck has pretty much relegated Archer to central server defense and is banking on a Priority Requisition to rez it. Curtain Wall is best as the outermost ice, which succumbs to Inside Job. If your deck can't bait Inside Job, which it can't, you auto-lose to that card.

With a low agenda density, you need to spend time drawing cards to take advantage of scoring windows your ice gives you. That means you need click-free money. That's Sundew, PAD Campaign, Marked Accounts, and any of the HB Advertisements. Only one is influence free.

I dunno if you've played this deck yet. You definitely have the fear of Scorched Earth backing you up, but once a single plascrete hits the table, runners will feel very safe.

Deck screams rush, but doesn't have the tools for it IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A runner that sits back and only runs when you've installed something in a remote will beat this deck almost every time. You need something to make them spend credits. As others have mentioned upgrades and/or assets are your best choices. GRNDL Refinery is a personal favorite to add to others mentioned. If they see through your ruse and not run it after a turn of install, advance, advance you're still in position to receive a nice payout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ravlin Bay
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out this thread about an HB deck that is similar

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15307870#15307870

Get some ideas. Also this kind of big ice all the money deck is totally viable and winnable, but I don't think Weyland has the infaction ice that is really needed to support it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Ruman
Canada
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Agreed, I would say that working in some snares/junebugs for surprises (and fear once they see them) and/or Caprice (depending on influence restrictions) would be very helpful imho. Also, if all about money, why not just go with 3 government contracts over the priority reqs? I'll admit priority reqs are awesome when they work but so is an early government contracts which can set you up for the game money-wise if just happy with mandatory draw, install ice type strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback so far.

wakkowolf wrote:
you've got nothing to show for it except 3 decent Ice in a deck of 49 cards.

I'm curious what 3 you think are decent. What about the other 20+? I went with a selection of binary and analog ETR ice (using MagicDave's convention) with some program destruction splashed. Any suggestions for changes?

wakkowolf wrote:
This deck has pretty much relegated Archer to central server defense and is banking on a Priority Requisition to rez it.

I mentioned this at the beginning but you make a fair point. The best value for Archer is the surprise factor and I can't do that. I'm not changing the agendas just to turn it on so I will pull Archer out.

wakkowolf wrote:
If your deck can't bait Inside Job, which it can't, you auto-lose to that card.

I'm going to disagree here. Big ICE decks provide some of the best protection versus Inside Job by creating 3+ deep servers. That's actually a simpler tactic than trying to 'bait' someone (presumably with an asset or upgrade you can afford to lose).

wakkowolf wrote:
With a low agenda density, you need to spend time drawing cards to take advantage of scoring windows your ice gives you.

This. Probably the most salient point so far. I think the best addition to this deck would be card draw. J. How is probably the answer. Annonymous Tip might be a thought, too.

HQ is going to be the weak point, especially to any multiple-access runs. With agendas hard to find in R&D, and no targets being played to remotes, runners will guess the best place to snag agendas will be HQ. And they would be right. While I can't ever keep a runner out completely, the plan is to hold the agenda until I get a chance to score out of a stacked remote. Card draw will help me find the agendas, and fill up my hand for protection. An installed J How would let me discard excess agendas safely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Palpster wrote:
A runner that sits back and only runs when you've installed something in a remote will beat this deck almost every time.

When was the last time you saw a runner of any caliber sit back and not run? I'm not going to spend time worrying about what an inexperienced runner might do, either.

GRNDL factory is something I had pondered, and it's a good suggestion. It fits the theme of economic dominance, and could provide scoring windows even if it fails. Things like Ash and Corporate Troubleshooter are good thoughts, too, since they make use of an econ advantage. Caprice is the new hawtness, but I don't think I would spend the influence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stan Adecla
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The three ice I had in mind were your copies of Hadrian's Wall and Tollbooth. Curtain Wall is amazing outside, being expensive to deal or just outright immune to lots of things, but it's such a large investment. The moment you rez it for money, other servers might be in jeopardy. An Anarch suite can get past most of your low-mid range ice, and if it has ways to deal with Grim, Hadrian's, and Curtain Wall...

Jackson will definitely help. I'd also suggest Blue Level Clearance since you're likely to have turns where you install three things at once, but Jackson can help with the flooding that happens (suprisingly often) with low agenda decks. The flooding happens because the corp has to take a while to create legit servers, meaning the few agendas that appear during this time get funneled into HQ, creating an unfortunate flood.

You gotta be willing to sneak some early shit in, which I think you can do with your abundance of Transaction ops. Doing also helps mitigate the flooding, which hopefully snowballs into a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wiley15 wrote:
Agreed, I would say that working in some snares/junebugs for surprises (and fear once they see them) and/or Caprice (depending on influence restrictions) would be very helpful imho. Also, if all about money, why not just go with 3 government contracts over the priority reqs? I'll admit priority reqs are awesome when they work but so is an early government contracts which can set you up for the game money-wise if just happy with mandatory draw, install ice type strategy.

I'm torn on Priority Rec vs. Government Contracts. Rec is an economy agenda, especially with enough ICE to have juicy targets, and the plan would be to always have a target. However, Contracts is a steady econ where everything else I have is one-shot. My biggest concern is that I don't want to see two in the same game. The second one becomes a blank 5/3. My struggle is balancing that blank versus a potential early score, which is powerful like you said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.