kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

This is really probably more of a question for the BGG powers that be, but I thought I'd toss it out here just to see what everyone's take might be on it... before I bother the BGG gods themselves with my petty questions.

So... suppose a guy designs and develops a nice little print-n-play game, and decides it's ready for a formal BGG listing.

And of course let's assume that the listing is worthy of approval!

Also, let's suppose that a second guy does a lot of the layout work, formatting of the rules, etc, etc.

It's the designer's baby, so obviously his name should be listed as the "designer". And being that it's a print-n-play game, there isn't really a publisher, but can the second guy be listed as "publisher", since he worked on polishing up the rules booklet, card layout, game box, build instructions, and various other little things that make it a ready-for-prime time offering?

And if not "publisher", how can this second guy be given a little credit for his work without being listed as a designer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Marek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about artist if he's been working on card layout, game box and other stuff?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kswingruber wrote:

It's the designer's baby, so obviously his name should be listed as the "designer". And being that it's a print-n-play game, there isn't really a publisher, but can the second guy be listed as "publisher", since he worked on polishing up the rules booklet, card layout, game box, build instructions, and various other little things that make it a ready-for-prime time offering?

I suggest you check the Guide to Game Submissions - it makes it pretty clear that the publisher listing is intended to hold the company/companies responsible for producing a physical product, and if no physical product is produced (as with a PnP game) then "web published" is the correct listing.

I'd agree that if someone helps with layout work that counts as [graphic] art and they should be given an artist credit (or at least that it's fine to do so), but it's also worth bearing in mind that the BGG format doesn't really afford credit for every single person who works on bringing a game to the public. Manufacturers get no mention, rulebook writers/editors get no mention, distributors get no mention, marketing gets no mention, art directors sometimes get listed as artists but often get no mention, developers sometimes get listed as co-designers but often get no mention, and so on and so forth.

Ultimately, the proper place to give credit to all the people who helped you getting your game from design to release is in the credits in the rulebook; the BGG listing is arguably more for cross-referencing purposes: "I liked this game design, what else has the same designer done?" or "I liked the art in this game, what else has the same artist done?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.