Quarriors!» Forums » Variants

Subject: quickening quarriors rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools
i wonder, have you also came up with this problem:

quarriors is a fun game , but it takes more time to play than it has merit for.

I have quarriors and the quarmageddon exp. and i am in a gaming group that is very experienced with games such as dominion and settlers and so on.

and although this game has been played a few times, it just never really sticks. the game is a bit too slow, while still very shallow.

i think the game is fine as a light, shallow game. therefore, i do not like that it takes more than max 30 mins to play.

one of the problems is that many cards are quite wordy, which takes time for new players to read and grasp. some cards have like 10 rows of text on them! that is WAAAAAY to much. for new players, reading and understanding all the cards take just too much time, and that messes up the point of the game: to be quick and lighthearted.

sure, when players are familiar with the cards, gameplay will be quicker. but since the first game is too slow, no one really wants to play it again really.

I'm working on re-doiung the cards to make them less texty and quicken up the game. the idea is to keep the heart of the game the same, but streamline and quicken some versions of the cards (and while i am at it, make some versions funnier and more interesting).

** this text has been edited, as my new versions of the cards are found later in this thread. **

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Pacheco
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good ideas. I would be interested in trying with the simplified text.

I have thought of not buying dice, instead each person takes a turn an adds one to his/her bag. Sure the big creatures would go first, but at least everyone would have one. Stop taking dice at a predetermined number and then start playing like normal.

I have yet to test this thought, but it would speed up the game and leave the fun part of attacking still in tact.
Just another idea. I'm sure there are some holes in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My games always last less than 30 minutes with 2 and less than 45 with more. Some in my group complain that the game ends just as they were happy with their dice collection. Not having your problem for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools
And I think that Quarriors would be at its best as a nice little break between dominion rounds, when the players of one table is waiting for another table to finish.

Therefore, I want to alter the game to fit that role.

it just takes too long now to fulfill that role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools
making the game longer, even longer than dominion, is exactly what i intend to get away from.

fine if quarriors as a long play suits you, but it is not what this post is about really.

i dont really care what the producers of the game intended or desired. i want the game to play quickly, and will therefore make an attempt at altering it to fit that goal.

i will probably post all my intended alterations here soon, and if you have any suggestions about changes that seem to mess up game balance or game play you are most welcome to post, but please respect that the whole premise of the post is to quicken the game. that part is not negotiable.

cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Sorry, was not my intention to upset you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools
no worries. glad you found a place for the game in your group. if you ever seek advice to how to make the game last even longer, sure, i might have some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny because like Sagrilarus we got tired of the short games and made it longer. The game always ended right as it started getting fun for us (about the time you have a dice bag full of stronger cooler creatures.)

Basically we tried to make the game bigger and longer (say 45 minutes to an hour or so.) Doubled the number of dice, set out 10 spells and 15 creature cards, and play to 40.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ulrik wemmenhed
Sweden
flag msg tools
here are my first version of quickified game. haven't tried them in real life yet, they are still a work in progress.

the aim of this version is to speed up the game, by making it less texty and make it quicker. most changes are made with the original version intact , just simplified the effect to make it less texty, but sometimes i came up with entirely new effects.

feel free to comment if you think this some cards here would be overpowered, underpowered or most importantly, confusing to new players.

some big changes include that burst symbols are no longer unique, but always mean the same things on all dice:

BURST SYMBOLS:
* if one or more creatures with bursts are summoned this turn, gain 1 glory and you may cull a die from your spent or used pile. You gain 2 glory and may cull two dice from your used or spent pile if one or more of the creatures summoned this turn had double burst symbols.
* Wizard and Troll showing burst and a quiddity drop: all dice cost 1 less to capture, and you may capture another die this turn.
* Death spell: When this spell is readied, choose a player. That player loses 1 or 2 glory depending on number of burst symbol on the dice.

GOBLIN
3:2 Goblin gains +1 defense for each other Goblin in your ready area.
3:2 When Goblin is destroyed, draw 2 dice and add them to your active pool.
2:2 When Goblin is summoned, you may capture a Goblin from the wilds for free.

TROLL BEHEMOTH
6:3 When Troll is summoned, destroy all creatures that cost 8. You cannot summon creatures that cost 8.
6:3 When Troll is summoned, all players must cull a Creature die from their used pile.
6:3 When Troll Is summoned, destroy all Dragons. You cannot summon any Dragons.

QUESTING WIZARD
8:4 When Wizard scores, you may capture one Spell die for free.
8:3 When Wizard scores, you gain +1 glory for each Spell in your ready area.
7:3 When Wizard is summoned, take a spell die from your used pile and put it in your bag.

DEVOTEE
4:2 Opponents cannot target your creatures with spells.
4:2 When Devotee scores, you may capture one Spell die worth up to 4 for free.
3:2 When Devotee is summoned, destroy all Death Spells in all opponents’ ready areas.

OOZE
7:2 ? the highest respective number (attack and defense) among all creatures in all ready areas.
8:2 ? the number of quiddity dice in your used, spent and active pool (combined).
5:3 ? the number of creatures in all ready areas combined.

WARRIOR
4:3 Warrior gets +5 attack for each Dragon in defending player’s ready area.
4:2 Warrior gets +3 attack if defending player has only one creature in his or her ready area.
5:2 All your creatures, except other Warriors, get +1 attack and +1 defense.

VOODOO DOLL
6:3 When Voodoo Doll is destroyed, choose a player. That player gains an Assistant from the Wilds.
5:2 When Voodoo Doll is destroyed, choose a player. That player loses 1 glory.
6:2 When Voodoo Doll is destroyed, cull a die from any player’s used pile.

GHOSTLY SPIRIT
4:2 When Ghostly Spirit is destroyed, add it to your active pool instead of your Used Pile.
4:2 When Ghostly Spirit is destroyed, cull 1 basic quiddity die to return it to your ready area.
3:2 when ghostly spirit is destroyed, cull 1 creature die to return it to your ready area.

DEATHDEALER
6:2 Gain +1 glory for each creature destroyed during the attack phase.
3:2 When Deathdealer scores, cull Deathdealer and any one other die in any other player’s used pile.
6:2 Deathdealer gains +3 attack if defending player has any creatures with defense 3 or less.

SERAPH
7:3 Opponents cannot cull when they score with creatures of cost 7 or more.
7:3 When one of your creatures is destroyed (including Seraph) you gain +1 glory.
8:4 When you capture a die, you may capture one additional die costing less than it for free.

IMP
4:2 When Imp is summoned, cull a die from your used or spent pile.
2:2 When Imp is destroyed, cull a die from your used pile.
5:2 When Imp scores, you may capture two additional dice.

DEFENDER
6:3 When Defender scores, draw a die and add it to your active pool.
6:3 Creatures cost 1 more quiddity to summon.
5:2 When Defender scores, you gain +1 glory for each other creature that scores this turn.

HAG
5:3 When Hag is summoned, destroy all Warriors and Wizards in all opponents’ ready areas.
5:3 You gain +1 quiddity for each creature destroyed during your attack phase.
5:3 When Hag scores, you may move all Ghostly Spirits from your used pile to your Active pool.

DRAGON
8:4 When Dragon is summoned, destroy all opponents’ creatures costing 5 or less.
8:4 When Dragon is summoned, destroy a creature of your choice in an opponent’s ready area.
9:4 When Dragon scores gain +1 glory for each Goblin in your used pile.

LORD
7:3 All your creatures costing 4 or less get +2 attack and +2 defense.
8:3 When Lord is summoned, re-roll a creature die costing up to 4 in your spent or used pile.
8:4 When your creatures costing 4 or less are destroyed, add them to your Active pool instead of your used pile.

SPELLS
LIFE
4 Reaction: cast this spell to give all your creatures +4 defense for the rest of this turn.
4 Reaction: cast this spell to put all your creatures destroyed for the rest of the turn into your active pool.
3 Cast this spell to destroy all Death spells in all player’s ready areas.
3 Attach: this creature gains +4 defense.

OBLATION
2 cast this spell to cull a die from your used or spent pile.
2 attach: when this creature scores, choose and cull a die in each player’s used pile.
3 attach: when this creature scores, you may cull an additional die.
5 Cast this spell to cull a creature die from your used pile and gain glory equal to half it’s glory (rounded down).

DEATH
6 Cast this spell to destroy 1 creature in any opponent’s ready area.
5 cast this spell to destroy all Life spells in all player’s ready areas.
4 Cast this spell to give all your creatures +2 attack for the rest of this turn.
5 Attach: this creature gains +3 attack and +3 defense.

DISCRIMINATING
3 Cast this spell to cull up to two Basic Quiddity dice from your Used or spent pile.
3 Cast this spell to cull all Basic Quiddity dice in your active pool.
4 Cast this spell to put all dice from your Used Pile, except Basic Quiddity dice, into your bag.
4 Cast this spell to move all Basic Quiddity dice from your active pool to your spent pile, then draw and roll that many dice.

SHAPING
3 Cast this spell to Destroy one spell in any player’s ready area.
3 Cast this spell to rotate all your creatures in your ready area up 1 level, if possible.
4 Cast this spell to replace a die in your Used or spent pile with a Wild die worth up to 3 more.
4 Cast this spell to replace a die in an opponent’s used pile with a Wild die worth up to 2 less.

GROWTH
4 Cast this spell to gain 2 Quiddity. Draw and roll 1 die.
5 Cast this spell to gain 3 Quiddity
3 Cast this spell to gain 2 Quiddity. You may capture an additional die this turn.
5 Cast this spell to gain 2 Quiddity. You may re-roll any 2 other die.

VICTORY
3 Attach: this creature gains +2 glory when scored
9 Cast this spell to gain +3 glory
7 Cast this spell to gain +1 glory for each creature destroyed during your attack this turn.
5 Cast this spell to gain +1 glory for each creature that scored this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.