1 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Computer Based Board Gaming

Subject: Clan Kingdom - help and advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Developer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't want to fall foul of any posting rules here, but equally I've seen a number of games in this forum section blatantly advertise their games, but that's not what I'm here to do.

What I'm here to do is to ask for help and advice for anybody who might be interested

For the past 2 years I've been working(obviously slowly) on a Fantasy/Strategy/Asynch/Multiplayer game, which was (dare I say it) F2P. I'm working with a great graphic artist, and you can see some of the examples of the graphics in my latest blog post here

http://clankingdom.com/new-screenshots/

The reason for this post on BGG, is that after all this time I've decided to change the kind of game I'm working on and make it a full on strategy/board game, and it would be great to have board game experts input and help during the process of changing it to a board game mechanic. It will now be a paid download game, where you pay and you get the game, no more F2P!

If all this goes well I'll be looking for play testers to help test in about a month or so (and I'll be giving promo codes to the play testers, so they get the game for free).

All that time ago I actually always wanted it to be more of a board game gameplay mechanic, but over time I moved more and more in the direction of the traditional F2P strategy type games on the App store. Point is, is that much of the game is already setup to easily translate to a board game play mechanic. So in other words we already have a great roll dice animation, the village (which now would be the "board") which the game takes place in is a 12x12 grid. We have a number of fantastic buildings and units that have 3 levels of upgrade, and so on.

I've got some questions to help guide me and discuss some of the issues.

1)Clan Kingdom will be a city building or at least village building type board/strategy game. Both players (player vs computer or player vs player) will build/grow/train and attack each other within the same area, so my first question is what are the similar games to that already out there? Obviously I've googled and looked on here/PT but I can't quite find any games similar to what I've described.

2) Clan Kingdom will now have game or turn phases. So for example a players turn might contain a build, train, and attack phase. Should the elements of the turn phase be locked in position, i.e build is always first, attack always last etc, or should it be more like (a game I love) Hero Academy where you have 5 play "slots" so to speak, and you can do any kind of game action as any of those 5 slots ?

3) Talking about the turn phases, what are some good turn phases? build, train (and/or grow) and attack seem about the most obvious way to set things up. What's a good number of phases to a turn?

4) How should battles be decided between 2 units? right now all units, have an attack and a defence value, and we have an animation for 2 six sided dice to roll off against each other, but I'm open to suggestions as to how the attack/defence values should be used in a fun way with the dice rolls.

5) What kind of win situations does everyone like? Right now I've got...

a. Destroy enemies power stone
b. Reach a certain amount of gold first
c. Destroy the enemy totally.
d. First to a certain population level.

I'll post here soon the list of units and buildings that will be available in the game.

I'm seriously totally open to ideas, suggestions, and guidance as to how everybody would like things to go. So thanks for reading, and let me know your thoughts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.