Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyrone Newby
Canada
Tupperville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43,has been a great hit,and any expansions that will come out later,also Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45,I know will become a hit;but here's a thought for the future,if you make it along the line of "The Hunters"(of course I know the rules and the historical situations would be greatly different),the battles of the U.S PT boats of the Pacific,this kind of game could be a great story writer;not only were the PT boats asigned patrols to sink ships,but they were also given a great variety of other missions,this kind of game could almost be endless in its scope.Just a thought guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea Tyrone.
A good PT Boat game sounds fun. You could set up a game with a whole set of crew members (like The Hunters or B-17) that progressed from mission to mission.

Here is some inspiration:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/JFK/JFK-in-History/John-F-Kennedy-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kullberg
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PT boat game would be great. A variant of that might be Vietnam-era riverine warfare- there was an excellent PC game called "Gunboat" in 1990 about controlling a PBR (Patrol Boat, River).

With a 4-man crew in a PBR, maybe that game would have more of the feel of Patton's Best than The Hunters, but I bet the system could handle it. There were a lot of different boats that could be modeled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S S
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In case you are interested, there was a variant for PT, MT, S, etc., boats for the old Battleline/Avalon Hill game, Submarine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
It could have a way victory points for making money on the side, selling booze, gambling. All trying to keep it secret from the commander of the base. Maybe it could have easy going Japanese POW that you befriend?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
It could have a way victory points for making money on the side, selling booze, gambling. All trying to keep it secret from the commander of the base. Maybe it could have easy going Japanese POW that you befriend?

That is hilarious. But anyway, I think the idea of a solitaire PT boat sim sounds awesome - especially a Vietnam era. Just stay away from "Apocalypse Now" type scenarios please. I'd rather keep it historical and not have a mission where you are transporting someone who has a secret mission to assassinate a Colonel. shake

Now, if PT boats were actually used to transport individuals or teams for special or covert missions, I'd be completely fine with a slight nod to "Apocalypse Now" with a random mission being you have to transport an Army Captain who has an unspecified mission down river. Just keep it historically accurate please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kullberg
United States
Needham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
If memory serves PBRs were a favorite deployment technique for SEALs/UDT. Marcinko's autobiography mentions them a few times.

I believe so, and they also had some special craft of their own.

http://www.warboats.org/stonerbwn/the%20brown%20water%20navy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
sekullbe wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:
If memory serves PBRs were a favorite deployment technique for SEALs/UDT. Marcinko's autobiography mentions them a few times.

I believe so, and they also had some special craft of their own.

http://www.warboats.org/stonerbwn/the%20brown%20water%20navy...

Great link, my Uncle was on the LST's in WW2, PTO, and had three of them shot-out from underneath him. He survived the war and is still with us.

Thank you again for posting the link!
Jim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Appleyard
Australia
flag msg tools
Hmmm - I've seen someone working on a solo PT boat game idea somewhere.....

.....here it is :

http://www.skdgaming.com/mosquitofleet.htm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kranz
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
sguard wrote:
I know The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43,has been a great hit,and any expansions that will come out later,also Silent Victory: U.S. Submarines in the Pacific, 1941-45,I know will become a hit;but here's a thought for the future,if you make it along the line of "The Hunters"(of course I know the rules and the historical situations would be greatly different),the battles of the U.S PT boats of the Pacific,this kind of game could be a great story writer;not only were the PT boats asigned patrols to sink ships,but they were also given a great variety of other missions,this kind of game could almost be endless in its scope.Just a thought guys.

Thanks for the suggestion, Tyrone. Definitely an interesting take that could fit well for a follow-on project after SILENT VICTORY! Just have to run it by Gregory M. Smith, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.