Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A while ago, I acquired a copy of the AtB 1st edition in a trade. I've decided to take another crack at actually playing it, so I downloaded the 2nd edition rules.

Initially I was given to understand that the two editions were compatible, and that one simply had to halve FP for first edition units lacking printed FP in both colors. Now I'm noticing that some 2nd edition anti-armor FP ratings are not simply half the anti-infantry ratings, and vice versa. This makes me feel as though I have an entirely different game, which is disappointing.

Am I understanding this correctly, or misinterpreting something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim the Enchanter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on what you're expecting from 'compatible'.

This guideline for 'halving the FP' is just meant as a convenient, 'quick & dirty', way of allowing you to use the newer ruleset*, not a way to exactly replicate everything in it.

My understanding is that each unit has had Red and Blue FP values calculated totally independently, so there will never be a fool-proof way to extrapolate one from the other.

After a quick glance through the two unit lists I think I'd personally prefer to assign a default value of 0FP to missing values and then remember / note down the exceptions (mostly HMG and Hvy Mortar I think).

HTH

(* afaik this guideline referred to Storms of Steel, not 2nd Ed. Not sure if that makes any huge difference though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for the help. I guess I just have to accept the fact that I have an older, less evolved (obsolete?) version of the game. It's my own fault for not doing my homework before trading for it.

I'll go ahead and play it as is, I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim the Enchanter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tbh I wouldn't worry about it.

It's changes like players taking turns to do actions rather than activations that makes the 2nd Ed rules worth using.

The fine-tuning of on-counter values is... nice to have... but mostly unimportant to the game system as a whole.
(Exception: Trucks and Anti-Tank Guns changed the color of their DR.)

1st Edition is an excellent game.
If you get into CoH in a big way and pick up Price of Honor I believe that has a set of replacement counters for 1st Edition.

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say that trucks changed their DR color, do you mean that in 1st ed., infantry would fire at them w/half FP, but that in the new edition, infantry use their full red FP when firing at them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim the Enchanter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly that. Trucks are 'Red 11' in 2nd Ed so they are attacked with full Red FP.
Makes them slightly less vulnerable to tanks and slightly more vulnerable to infantry.
Which suits my visualisation of what's going on, so I like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.