Phil Allen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing through the scenarios in order, and have been having a blast so far. But last night, we hit scenario 5 "Cannibal Island" and...well, we're not sure how to go about beating it.

A summary of the issues we've encountered:

- The goal of the scenario is to defeat the cannibal villages and city. You need weapons to do this reliably. Unfortunately, in a two player game, we have no access to the Soldier. The scenario specifies our starting items, so we have no pistols to give us temporary bonuses. We also were unlucky with our inventions and had no access to spear or bow. So, we can build the knife (once we find mountains) and build weapons up one level at a time. A typical village strength is 5 or 6, and the city is 9 or 12.

- Cannibals attack your camp every other turn, and neither weapons nor palisades help you prevent damage. (What's the use of palisades, then?)

- One of the special items you can build is the ballista, which gives you one weapon level and two level of palisades. This confused us, because palisades don't seem to have any special use in this scenario. And it's an expensive way to get one weapon level. I wonder if it should give two weapon levels and one palisade level instead. Then there'd be at least one consistent method of getting more than one weapon level at a time.

Has anyone successfully beat this scenario with just one or two players? Does success hinge on having access to the bow and/or spear or getting lucky with discovery tokens? Or is there something obvious that I'm missing here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenothon Stelnicki
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends what characters you're using; it certainly could be very difficult if the cards don't break your way. From memory, I recall being very conservative in my exploring to avoid too many totems. This is easier using the explorer's tile ability. There are one and three points of weapon upgrades on the scenario-specific discovery tokens and you can always find some weapons in the treasure deck. I think I never had more than two cannibal villages on the map at any time; I think it was one except for one round in the middle-end. Finally, you're doing to use health in the final attack. I think taking maybe 5 wounds or so on that lat attack is somewhere around the norm. I don't think I ever got more than about 8 attack unless the soldier was in. So, in effect you need either additional weapon strength OR additional health. Depending on your character combo, there should be a way to do one, the other, or both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex G
Canada
flag msg tools
Palisades being useless in this scenario certainly looks like some major error in the rules, since not only scenario-specific invention awards palisades, but the "scoring" also awards building palisades. Apparently they were SUPPOSED to be useful at some point during planning, but the designer either forgot to include them into the rules or dropped them for whatever reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.