Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I kind of brainstormed this on the way to work this morning. I haven't tried it...nor will I be able to for a while, but I am curious if this would work.

What is needed:
The game (I would hope everyone has that!)
Caverns of Roxor
Von Drakk Manor
+ at least 1 more miniboss (2 would be better for variety)

Play time: Probably a long long game.

Setup: Set up the game for a 5 player hero game. The power meter will not be used, but the loot meter will. The heroes will have a team of 5. Setup spawn points and chests just like normal.

The consul will take all three bosses and choose 5 miniboses.

Gameplay: Play will run the same as a normal game except, the consul can not spawn minibosses at all.

Instead as the characters destroy a spawn point, the consul will spawn one of the 5 minibosses. Once they are killed, then they are out of the game.

After the 5th miniboss is killed, the consul will spawn the first of the 3 bosses. The next boss will be spawned when the current one dies. This will continue until all the heroes are dead or the 3 bosses are killed.

I am not sure what boss effects should be brought in to pay until I get a chance to test it. But if anyone has ideas to balance it out then I would love to hear them.

The characters should be tough enough to do some good damage to the bosses by the time they come out. They should have a lot of loot and about 10 treasures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Neill
United States
Jacksonille
NC
flag msg tools
It might need a bit of fine tuning, but I really like the concept. I'm planning on doing a scenario with some similar ideas. Mine would utilize the Arena Play-mat (4 game tiles would work too) 4 heroes, 4 spawn points, 4 chests, 4 mini-bosses. Monsters spawn as normal, mini-bosses spawn sequentially as each spawn point dies. I want each mini boss to be progressively harder, so probably Kaelly would be a good choice for last one and Vandella would be a good first one. Whether or not a big boss spawns at the end or not would have to involve some play-testing. I'm probably going to try it out with my SDE group tomorrow.

Thoughts??

PS: Funny thing is this thought came to me at work on the way out to the field. Great minds think alike?? heh..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Please definately let me know how it goes. I am very curious.

As for miniboss order...I like it random so it isn't the same game over and over.

Also a new idea to make it harder that might be fun....seperate two boards for the other three. Then when the heroes beat the first two boards and minibosses, spawn Starfite. When they kill Starfire, they port to the next three boards.

Add King Starfire as the last boss on the three boards...that might make a nice challenge.

The goal is to make a win a major acomplishment...but I love how we are thinking alike!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Neill
United States
Jacksonille
NC
flag msg tools
I'm trying this out on a buddy who's only played 2 games (including the one we are playing). We've put it down for the night and will probably pick up in the morning.

Setup: Mini bosses, Succubus Vandella, Herald of Vulcanis, Captain R, Kaelly the Nether Strider. Heroes: Royal Paladin, Hearthsworn Figther, Ember Mage, Celestial Herald. Boss: Roxor

Progress: Vandella and Vulcanis both spawned and defeated. All heroes alive and in good condition.

Amplifying info: A couple of heroes have been close to dying. My buddy could have been more aggressive and may have killed a hero off already, but his playstyle is a bit defensive. He still has a lot of monsters on the board, two minibosses in reserve, and a main boss yet to spawn.

More info to come later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Look forward to it....are you only using 1 boos?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Neill
United States
Jacksonille
NC
flag msg tools
1 boss so far. We never finished the game and my gaming group had only one dungeon siege in them today. I'll need to try this again with a more experienced consul. (the guy I played against last night is a new player and not from my gaming group)

So far though:
Despite my buddy's lack of experience/aggression the game was chaotic enough, though it seemed to be manageable in difficulty. This could change with a stronger consul.

It seems easy enough to adjust for difficulty, and I would even consider having pre-selected loot cards to apply to the monsters as each spawning point/mini-boss fall.

You could even add in a pre-selected relic/treasure to apply to the big boss depending on how things go.

I'll post again when I get more board time in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome update.

I didn't even think of losing the loot from the power meter for the consul, but it should play downright nasty for the heroes. Even a preselected loot for each spawn point dropped will be rough.

With the split boards then the consul could draw a loot card after the Starfire/1st boss battle, then they last three get the bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deft Titan
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting the kickstarter updates for forgotten king expansion. We know it includes new rules for arcade mode, but tonight they gave us a tiny sneak preview of console cards. It included this snippet, which I found interesting, but also relevant to this variant. Particularly the part about mini-bosses spawning after spawn points are destroyed.

Quote:
Platform: There are five different platforms of monster: Start, 8-Bit, 16-Bit, Super, and Special.

Start is reserved for spawning points and the occasional unique monster. It is a simple indicator that the model always begins on the dungeon map and is placed during the set-up. Start models can never be spawned.
8-Bit monsters are weaker monsters that are part of the initial free spawn the consul gains at the beginning of the game.
16-Bit are powerful monsters that can only be spawned during the Consul's turn.
Super monsters, such as Bosses and mini-bosses are spawned for free after a spawning point has been destroyed.
Special: These are monsters that can only enter the game through some special condition such as Shapeshifts or Boo Booty Traps.
Skull Value: During the Hero turn only a single Hero may activate. Monsters are much weaker so multiple monsters activate. During the Consul's turn up to 4 skull value of monsters, plus any one Super monster may be activated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I saw that, and figured that, without the power meter, it would have to work like that somehow.

I am hoping to start testing this around the 26th, when my test for work is over. All games are on hold for me (except board game arena...since no setup time.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.