Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently struck with inspiration (madness) and inspired by Mice and Mystics to run 5 or 6 games of LNoE as a series of linked adventures to increase story-telling and tension.

I know that some people have done similar threads and those were a lot of help, so here is what I'm thinking for my loyal crew of snacks...errr gamers.

Campaign rules:
1) Dead is dead. If a hero is killed, they will not be available in later scenarios. This isn't Marvel comics version of LNoE.
2) Dead is undead. Any hero killed becomes a zombie hero. Why? Because its more thematic that way. If that zombie hero is still roaming the board at the end of the scenario, it will go into a pool and potentially make an appearance later in the campaign.
3)At the end of the scenario any weapons or items that a character has will be in the character's possession at the start of the next scenario unless the player wishes to drop it. All characters will heal 1 wound in the downtime between scenarios.If a player wishes to spend a first aid item in the down time for additional healing he may. Any remains in play cards still in play on a character will remain on that character.
4) If the heros fail to win a scenario, we'll go ahead to the next scenario, but the zombie player will have a bonus that thematically fits the loss. If the penalty for losing is a simple retry, then that isn't as suspenseful as "oh crap, if we don't blow up the last spawn pit before sundown, then zombies start with an extra spawn pit every game."

I'm having a hard time coming up with rewards for heros successfully completing a scenario. Right now my resources are LNoE and Growing Hunger. I am thinking of getting the Advanced Abilities expansion so that I have a way of leveling the heros. Another option is to give them boosts like "+1 carrying limit" or "+1 Wounds."

One thing that I've thought about is implementing decisions for the next scenario they play.

1st scenario: Die, Zombie, Die. (We have to clear out all these zombies before the town is overrun. )

After the heroes have cleared out that section of the town, they realize that sundown is getting close. What do they do now? Do they try to find shelter (Defend the Manor House) or try to get out of town (Escape in the Truck)? If they choose Defend the Manor House then when they successfull barricade themselves in and win the scenario, they'll realize that others are still out there and third scenario will be "Rescue the Townfolks" if they try to escape and succeed, the 3rd scenario will be the Last Night on Earth: "We've Got To Go Back! downloadable scenario. If they fail either of the second scenarios then the Manor is over run with undead and that will trigger the "We have to burn it down" (destroy the manor house) scenario as scenario three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Lm
Sweden
flag msg tools
Thanks for writing this down Tony.
I had the same thought (well ... you did all the rest ) about a running campain.
Only have LNOE at the moment, but plan to pick up Timber peaks today + one or two extra packs. I mean ... When they skip town, they have to go somewere, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn right they do! Good luck with the Peak! I hear good things about it and may break down and splurge my tax refund on it.

I haven't had a chance to start my scenario play yet, but let me know if you get a chance and how yours goes.

Don't forget the free web expansions, as a way to get some extra scenarios. They have some scenarios that you have to pay for, and those are fun (and usually come with new zombies), but we're all for gaming on a budget. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cook
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
There appear to be a lot of us playing this game that are like-minded

If you get a chance to check it out there's another thread under this same forum (Variants) that is called "LNOE: Episodic Role Playing?" and its all about a campaign style series of scenarios. There are some really good ideas in there from a bunch of different players about the challenges of continuing a story-line and making it fun while making sense thematically.

One user listed a set of 5 scenarios that make one linear story but broken up into 5 distinct challenges. I believe his uses elements from most (if not all) of the major expansions but I'm sure you could work around that once you had the basic gist.

Having access to the experience and hero/zombie upgrades system really makes something like this more feasible but you also have to consider some way to limit the heroes because they will certainly become incredibly powerful if they are starting scenarios later in the series with the best of what they've found over 2 or 3 previous games AND hero upgrades, you know? I've run one 3-part game and here's what I found worked really well:

- In my campaign the heroes were on the run a lot (as you might imagine considering the theme of the game) so the first easy rule I put in was that they could not keep more than two cards on their character from one scenario to the next. (Can't move fast enough loaded down with gear)

- Heroes healed either one wound or not at all between scenarios (unless they ended a scenario with a card that provided healing and they didn't want it the be one of their two carry-overs...you mentioned this already and its really necessary, good thinking!) depending on the theme/story.

- Increase zombie player hand limit in later scenarios (zombie plague is spreading = more zombies every day = better chance of unfortunate things happening to/around the heroes) otherwise the Heroes will simply dominate regular zombies, therefore gaining even more experience.

- Put in some kind of possible permanent/semi-permanent injury system to add flavor and mitigate some of the Hero advantages as the campaign goes on. (there are details about how this could work in the thread I mentioned before) This turned out to be really fun for my group because one played as Sam and ended up with a broken arm and a sprained ankle so he really was a "tank" as many people like to use him because of his wounds. There were a lot of jokes made about the hobbled badass but it ended up forcing them to be strategic with moves and actions and we had a good time with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its you! wow I read your thread and I loved the ideas in it. They were a huge help for my plan. The point and dots system kinda lost me, but I assume that's a Timber Peak thing.

The injury system is something I want to implement, maybe "Make an injury roll, if you roll double ones during a fight" that way if you roll more than 2 dice, it increases the likely hood of injury symbolizing the player throwing caution to the wind, but maybe I'd need to balance that with a "safer" injury like "winded, -2 to movement next movement phase" its a draw back but not bad. After all, swinging a chainsaw is hard work.

Hopefully, we'll get our first game in on Wednesday. I think the downside for failure will be "For each game from this point on, the zombie players will autospawn at least one zombie a turn" because the first scenario is "Die, Zombie Die" and this represents the townies inability to keep the town from being overwhelmed with undead.

Also, thanks for the advice in this thread. I will post here to let everyone know how it went and thanks for the encouragement!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cook
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Lol, I'm honored that you found such value in my posts. I'm interested to hear about how often injuries come up with your idea and how much they affect the game. I'm starting a 5-part campaign this week with some friends and I'll let you know how it goes. I plan to implement several of the ideas I mentioned in the other post in regards to carry-over restrictions, injuries and hero development as well as zombie adjustments in later episodes to balance the increased strength of the heroes.

By the way, the xp point system is from Timber Peak (adds a nice factor to the game) but the dot system is from Growing Hunger and helps you balance the game when you want to add extra features to a pre-made scenario (e.g.: 'zombies auto-spawn' is worth 4 dots so to balance it you would need to give the heroes 'free search markers' which is worth 3 dots as well as 'well-stocked buildings' which is worth 1 dot.)

If you don't have that expansion or no longer have the rulebook you can find that stuff online and if you were looking for fresh ideas on other features to add I'm sure there are some very interesting ideas in the Variants forum. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Llama
United States
Milligan College
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news everyone! I think I have enough people to play tonight. In fact, the idea sounds so interesting that I seem to have 8 people showing up. surprisesurprisesurprise I'm...ummmm...not sure how I'll handle that in my 6 player game, but, I'll think of something.

The first scenario will be "Die, Zombie, Die." and if the players are unable to kill 20 zombies before nightfall, then the contagion has spread too quickly and the zombies are plentiful. Therefore if the players fail to win the scenario, for the rest of the campaign, the zombie player will automatically spawn 1 zombie each turn.

However, what I assume people are interested in, is my attempt at a permanent injury chart. Many of these ideas are stolen from the "Episodic Role Playing Thread" and the format taken from A Touch of Evil: Something Wicked Expansion Advanced Cooperative Mystery Phase Chart OF DOOOOOM!!!
_______________________Injury Rules___________________________

"Make an injury roll if you roll double ones during a fight" that way if you roll more than 2 dice, it increases the likely hood of injury symbolizing the player throwing caution to the wind.
For an injury roll, roll 2D6 and add the results. Consult the chart to see what hardship has befallen your adventurer. Yes, you may suffer the same injury multiple times, but only 2 broken legs and 2 broken arms. If you have reached the maximum # of injuries and roll that injury again, nothing happens. Odds are you need a lucky break at that point. You’ve had 2 unlucky breaks already.)

2- Broken Leg: -2 to all movement rolls, minimum of 1. If healed: You put a splint on it and your movement rolls are reduced by 1, minimum 1, but may not be healed further.

3-Concussion -1 to your ranged attack rolls.

4- Broken Rib: -1 to your carrying limit

5- Sprained Ankle: -1 to all movement rolls. This effect stacks with broken leg.

6- winded: -1 to your next movement roll next turn, minimum of 1.

7: Tis but a scratch: - No effect, but be more careful next time.

8: Shaken: -1 to your ranged attack and combat rolls next turn, minimum of 1.

9. Black eye: Your range on range attacks is reduced by 1. This injury may not lower your ranged attacks below 2.

10. Mental Trauma – Draw a madness card from Arkham Horror Dunwich expansion and wing its effects. (I ran out of ideas and this seemed fun.) (In future, I will whip up a Mental Trauma chart.)

11. Internal Bleeding: Reduce your maximum wounds by 1. If this reduces your maximum wounds to zero, you are dead. (Yes, this can be healed between scenarios. Years of watching WWF/WWE has convinced me that internal bleeding can be fixed by wrapping lots of medical tape around the waist.)

12. Broken Arm: Can't use 2 handed weapons or long guns. If healed: you put a splint on it and regain the use of long guns, but not two handed weapons. If both arms are broken, you cannot use weapons at all, but you get a +1 to one die roll chosen after rolling to use your casts as weapons. (Shades of Cowboy Bob Orton)

Healing: At end of the scenario, you may discard a first aid kit to Heal an injury and remove it unless the injury says otherwise.

If you have a nurse in your party, at the end of a scenario, she may make one attempt to heal one injury on a roll of 5+. If you have a doctor in your party, at the end of a scenario, she may make one attempt to heal one injury on a roll of 3+. If the player is a doctor, add +1 to your roll, but he must use jargon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.