Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's for circular board war game. The combat system is pretty simple. Each area have units and heroes with a strength. When a territory attacks another territory, the hero on each side roll a number of dice equal to their strength. Each roll of 4+ kills and ennemy unit. At the end of the round, the side with the most units wins the control of the territory and the opposing army is forces to retreat to an outer ring.

It's a very interesting mechanic that gives 2 facet to the combat resolution ( you need good heroes and a good amount of troops). Now the problem is that retreat could be blocked if there is no friendly or empty territory left. So how can it be resolve. Here is a couple ideas I had so far with their pro and cons:

Reroll until death: Make another round of battle until 1 side is eliminated. The results are devastating on both sides because much more casualties get generated this way and the strength of the hero now has much more impact on the combat resolution. It also takes more time to resolve since there is more dice roll involved. But a similar solution could be used in case of ties. So that make senses that this is the mechanic to chose for cohesion with other mechanics. Unless ties simply stop the battle.

Ratio Kill: Each side lose 1 unit until a side is eliminated. If a hero is stronger than another, he kills 2 unit for 1 he loses. This is even deadlier and weakens dramatically armies on the board.

Nothing Happens: In this case, the defender is not forced to retreat. That makes the defender in a very good position since there is only 1 round of battle, he could hold his position for a long time if he has a lot of troops. It would stall the game too much.

Retreat to reserve: Making the player retreat to the reserve makes actually no sense. I found it interesting to block retreat, I thinks I want to keep that concept.

Instant capture: Capturing instantly the enemy could be an alternate solution. Very deadly, but the attacker suffer less casualties to succeed which does not weaken his position afterward compared to the roll until death.

What do you Think?

Any other suggestions?

Prototype Picture
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In wargames, you usually take another step loss if forced to retreat and you cannot retreat.
In the Command and Colors games, you simply don't retreat. But those are games where you are not in the same hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a Retreat to enemy controlled territory:

If there is no friendly or empty territory left, you can retreat in a territory controlled by an opponent. This conflict is settled immediately.
Maybe you need to add the rule that the loser has to retreat into the direction of his nearest territory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember C&C rules, if your unit is "pushed back" and you can't retreat it further, the unit is destroyed outright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd do a Reroll until combat is finished, but with a Bonus for the Attacker to represent the weakened morale of the defenders. A strong or lucky defender could still survive, but in general it should leave the attacker in a better situation.

Makes for some of those good stories where a unit is backed against a wall and manages to win anyway, or an attacker is rewarded for carefully maneuvering troops to block in a powerful army and destroy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One idea is that the non-retreating army automatically lose 1 unit before the next combat round giving an advantage to the attacker.

Else, capturing immediately would avoid the extra casualties on the attacker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Herr
United States
Palos Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see two cases:

1) If the only retreat is off the board, the defender should fight viciously.

2) If the only retreat is onto an enemy-held space, the defender should fold like a cheap suit.

How you choose to represent that is up to you.

Put a wall behind a man and he will fight to the death. Put an enemy behind the same man and he will panic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
In wargames, you usually take another step loss if forced to retreat and you cannot retreat.
In the Command and Colors games, you simply don't retreat. But those are games where you are not in the same hex.

Actually C&C uses step loss for non-retreat, too. You lose a block (step, whatever) for each space you should retreat but can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Actually C&C uses step loss for non-retreat, too. You lose a block (step, whatever) for each space you should retreat but can't.

Hmm! I like that. You get kicked off the board, but lose 1 unit for each ring you need to cross to move out of the board. Interesting. Or you lose 1 unit for each enemy territory you need to cross before arriving to a friendly area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Becker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think a lot of it might depend on the overall win condition or the cost of deploying new units. If getting wiped is a minor setback, I like the ease of play and the incentive of cornering an opponent like that.
However if getting wiped is a major setback, I would agree that there should be another way to resolve it. An idea I had that you could maybe combine with others is that they don't retreat, but on that players next turn they are forced to attack back and regain control of the space. They would lose out on the normal opportunity to expand, but could also have a fighting chance. Then if the original attacker gets another turn when they aren't routed, they could get a bonus to "stamp out the resistanc."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like either re-roll until death (with possibly a bonus for the attacker) or another poster's idea of "retreating" into an enemy territory and immediately having to fight another battle, possibly with a bonus for that enemy force.

When surrounded, the defeated force has to fight its way to freedom, likely at great cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.