Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: new idea for damage decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
How bout this.

Players are to create a damage deck of exactly 33 cards, of which exactly 7 cards are direct hits. You may have a maximum of 4 of any damage card in your deck.

During a game, you will exchange damage decks with your opponent.

This way, your Damage Deck has a level of customizability involved, and does influence the gameplay. For example, if you are having a hard time dealing with HLCs and ion turrets, you can try and include 4x Munitions Failure. If you are playing anti pursuit lasers, 4x Stunned Pilot would be a good mix. At the same time, it helps make crit based effects more powerful, eg. Maarek Steele, Determination (to counter opponent decks heavy in pilot crits), Saboteur etc. There is also an additional deck building element, and you can also create new damage cards with updated critical hit effects (eg. affects new upgrades like sensors, crew, modifications etc). These new crit cards could be released together with the usual ship booster packs (ie. Imperial Aces, TIE fighter expansions etc), and maybe come with only 2 copies each so you are suckered into buying 2 copies of that same ship if you want to net-deck your crit deck XD. It also makes critical hits more scary and sought after, especially after you removed those crits that you deem useless.

what do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

Trying to come up with a solution for a problem that doesn't exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
Hexis wrote:
Nope.

Trying to come up with a solution for a problem that doesn't exist?

Problems:

>>damage deck is too outdated with regards to its effects. Notably, nothing can affect upgrades that are introduced from wave 2 onwards, eg. modifications, engine upgrades etc. And obviously nobody would buy new damage cards to add to their own decks to harm themselves, so implementing new damage cards with the current system is nearly impossible / unfeasible

>>critical hits and their effects have been lambasted as being too useless, apart from the much loved direct hit. Especially evident in how FFG overprices effects that have something to do with inflicting crits.

>>some possible concerns about certain specific lists being too strong (eg. swarms, double falcons, etcetc). This could potentially be a way to limit the dominance of such lists, and also introduce a new gameplay element.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using proton bomb a good bit lately. People don't use it frequently in tournaments so they are often forgotten quickly. Nothing like landing a "strategy changing" crit on a high shield/hull ship early in the game. I would hate to see a Direct Hit in that situation (unless it's an unlikely A-Wing build).

Munitions Failure and Injured Pilot are the only 2 crits that may have zero effect depending upon the ship they land on. All of the others are generic enough to suck almost always. No need to add more onto that list. Someone mentioned wanting one for passengers. The once in a lifetime that crit would land on someone with a passenger is not worth having it in the deck. If anyone has any crits that you would add that wouldn't fall under this category, I'd be happy to hear them.

There's enough game here that I don't want to have to worry about customizing a crit deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, definitely not. Can you even imagine how much this would affect play testing difficulty? The deck is basically a fixed point in design. You do it once and build and test around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jetfire wrote:
No, definitely not. Can you even imagine how much this would affect play testing difficulty? The deck is basically a fixed point in design. You do it once and build and test around it.

Well said. Furthermore, I haven't seen some large scale outcry against the existing damage deck to suggest that it is faulty with the advent of new releases. I am not against the OP messing around as a variant in his own games for the sake of variety, but it's not a "fix"...as nothing is broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see it maybe for certain scenarios. ("Our orders are to target the rebels' proton torpedos. They ain't going to blow up THIS death star as easy as the last!"

In competative play it's probably too little bang for too much fuss. In my experience there's maybe 3-4 crits inflicted on a squadron, AT MOST. And in many games, crits have had no real effect. (The rest are either soaked with shields or the ship blows up very soon thereafter...)

I look at crits as just a little bit of flavor text in a battle. "Ah crap, my steering wheel's on fire. Again." And the randomness of them just adds to the fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wilder

Daly City
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that the damage deck can be updated at least as easily as this variant. Just a note in the tourney rules:

"Munitions Failure - Now also applies to Systems."

And so on. It might one day come to that, but I doubt it. They're clearly okay with some upgrades being basically immune to crits: e.g., Droids, which have been around from the beginning.

That said, I do think the idea of a customized damage deck is interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Crits are often useless and only contribute toward total damage, except when they are not. I landed a pilot crit on howlrunner that ignored her ability and pilot talent, canceling the swarm tactics chain and significantly dropping the possible damage output of my opponents swarm. I won that game pretty big, and that single crit played a very large part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why anyone should be allowed to customize their damage deck. Seems like it's just encouraging cheating... like stocking your deck with cards that make you discard a secondary for your list that doesn't have any secondaries.

Also, the core set is supposed to come with everything needed to play the game. As soon as you start messing with the damage deck, you're basically saying "oh, we didn't give you enough damage cards... too bad, you'll have to buy another core set." ... OK, the lack of dice sort of says that, but at least they came out with a dice pack (although a second core is better - and also gives you spare damage cards in case you lose any).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
You will exchange damage decks with your opponent. He will draw from your Damage Deck, and you will draw from his.

You need not mess with the damage deck, and can use it as it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
You will exchange damage decks with your opponent. He will draw from your Damage Deck, and you will draw from his.

You need not mess with the damage deck, and can use it as it is

OK, but still sounds silly. The whole point of a damage deck is that random bad stuff can happen to ship systems or to the pilot. It's supposed to be a randomizer, not a "Ha - blinded your pilot" or "Ha - took out your HLC" as though you were aiming at that component.

Hmmm... Might work for Star Trek: Attack Wing. "Mr. Worf, target their {engines/weapons/tractor beam}!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:

With that it becomes a competition of who can make the worst damage deck! (And if you don't exchange, the goal is the make the most lenient deck.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct hits are I think the worst, but the rest are varying degrees of bad. I have won games based on them, against Wave 2 ships.

Let's look at the ship ones:

Structural Damage
Reduce agility, hurts all ships.

Damaged Engine
Turns are red, painful, permanent. Makes Engine upgrade and Daredevil useless.

Console Fire
Possible damage till fixed

Weapon Malfunction
Reduces primary weapon, can really hurt the falcon and Firespray. Fixable.

Damaged Sensor Array
No actions till fixed, totally effective against Advanced Sensors.

Minor Explosion
Mini-Direct-Hit

Thrust Control Fire
The Stress Giver

Munitions Failure
Secondary Weapon = gone. Totally screws with HLC/Ion Cannon/ICT, great agains Y-Wings, B-Wings, etc...

Minor Hull Breach
Overlap = bad.

Some cards do put a hurting on System Upgrades and Modifications. Both Targeting Computer and Munitions Failsafe can be disabled by a lucky (or unlucky depending on your point of view) critical hit. Hull Upgrades and Shield Upgrades are not really relevant since they are just adding to the base stats. Advanced Sensors can be temporarily disabled by a crit hit. All the secondary weapons and munitions are specifically vulnerable to critical hits.

All of the pilot critical damage cards are useful regardless of the ship type. Some pilots don't have abilities or EPTs, but they all are prone to a Blinded Pilot or Damaged Cockpit.

So the statement: "Notably, nothing can affect upgrades that are introduced from wave 2 onwards, eg. modifications, engine upgrades etc." is totally false.

I think some of the upgrade cards should be tweaked to make them prone to critical damage. Like Fire Control System could read: "After you perform an attack, if able you may preform a target lock action on the defender." to make it something that was disabled by Damaged Sensor Array.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Variants

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Raz
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, not a fan of this idea. I don't like the idea of trying to introduce a "MTG" deck building element into a game that has nothing to do with that type of thing. And it doesn't make any thematic sense either. You're basically saying that your squad specializes in dealing a specific type of damage. How would they specialize in critical hitting the pilot for example? Are they trained to shoot for the cockpit?

:yuk:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the idea of customizing the damage deck for competitive games, but this is actually giving me a lot of ideas for scenario based games. We've been doing a lot of missions and scenarios lately and I can imagine adjusting the damage deck based on mission parameters.

For instance, for a mission much closer to a star than usual, I might increase the number of Blinded Pilot and Damaged Sensor Array to four or six of each, probably just removing single copies of other non-Direct Hit cards. I'm still toying with the idea, but I think it has merit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.