Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Chandler
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okay so the name needs work.

A while ago I posted a RP deck I was having fun with and got some great advice from you folk. Here's the result of that advice and a few new datapacks worth of cards. It's a BLAST to pilot and pretty darn effective. More than you'd think anyway

Perfecting Clone Replication

Jinteki: Replicating Perfection

Agenda (12)
3 Braintrust
2 Clone Retirement
2 Gila Hands Arcology
2 NAPD Contract
3 Nisei MK II

Asset (9)
3 Jackson Howard •••
3 Snare!
3 Sundew

Upgrade (3)
3 Caprice Nisei

Operation (8)
3 Hedge Fund
2 Power Shutdown ••••
3 Subliminal Messaging

Barrier (4)
2 Eli 1.0 ••
2 Himitsu-Bako

Code Gate (5)
3 Enigma
2 Yagura

Sentry (8)
2 Grim
3 Ichi 1.0 ••••• •
3 Tsurugi

Built with http://netrunner.meteor.com/

Centrals
The idea is pretty familiar to anybody who has played RP: Make running the centrals a living hell. THEN punish the runner for running centrals and for NOT running centrals.

The deck really started to sing with the addition of Subliminal messaging. Oh boy does that card ever give RP a shot in the arm. You put the runner in a tough spot: Run & go broke, or wait and watch me build a mountain of cash behind sundew and subliminal messaging.

The key here is how you play your ice. It's ALL about ice placement. Never ever ever put ETR ice as your outermost stuff on the centrals unless it's all you have and it's the first turn or so. HQ and R&D need what I call a 'backstop'... a card that can end the run if you need to. Yagura on R&D can act as your backstop but on HQ against suspected siphoners you may need to drop something that actually ends the run. Hamitsu bako is your friend here as you can pull him back when you're not as concerned, but enigma or Tsurugi will do in a pinch. As the game goes on you want to put punishing ice in front of your backstop. Ichi is the man here, but Grim is helpful too. Rez Ichi as soon as the runner has programs he won't want to lose, but hold onto your Grim until you need it.

Never forget that the runner only needs to encounter ONE piece of central ice, so keep the outermost ice mean. Ask yourself: "Is what I'm installing worse than what's inside?" If you draw a late Yagura don't put that sucker in front of an ichi on R&D unless your opponent is doubling down on the R&D dig. You don't want them getting off for a 2 credit break before attacking your remotes. Keep Ichis and Grims on the outside, with Tsurugi's and yagura's inside. Feel free to stack Tsurugis against R&D Diggers, and don't forget to put something on archives.

Remotes
When I first started playing RP I was happy to let sundew go undefended. One click made me steal 2 clicks (2 runs) and 2 money from the runner... plus it forced them to face my central ice.

Forget that. Yes that's a good tempo adjustment but the benefits of keeping a sundew around for multiple turns are fantastic. The steady flow of cash can feel unstoppable (and your ice is mighty expensive/brittle so you'll be replacing it often). Cover up your sundew. A bako or an enigma are a big help here.

Your scoring remote. Eli. Eli all the way. Your scoring remote is all about click-stealing. Click-steal with Eli. Click steal with an ichi if you decided you didn't need it on the centrals (found a grim instead). These two back to back are mean... Pick the order of your choice. Ichi before Eli to keep the remote secure, Eli before ichi if you're willing to sacrifice an agenda (a 1 pointer, or a caprice lure) to trash some programs. These will be expensive (after the already expensive ice they faced on a central) and guess who is waiting after they get through all of that? Caprice.

Caprice is what makes this deck go from 'fun in casual environments' to a contender. Because here she's not so random. If I have a NAPD contract and Caprice in my server and you make it through my central and you make it through my remote you still need 6 creds after all that to even have a shot. 5 creds? Okay I'll spend 2 on caprice. Match me. Now you have 3 and can't steal my agenda.

Agenda Strategy
As to those agendas, take a risk to score Nisei and/or Gila early if it looks likely. The income from Gila can be helpful (though you hope it isn't needed... it can really save you from bad draws) and Nisei + caprice is a disaster combo. Be sure to run your Caprice first and only pop Nisei if she fails. NAPD is a good later game agenda as Caprice makes it even harder to steal.

Bits and pieces
A decent amount of influence is spent on Power shutdown and jackson howard. Howard is obvious... he's great everywhere. Use him to find the appropriate ice. That's the key here. Once you've got that, use him to find agendas when you're ready to score. Be careful if you abuse Yagura... there may be a pile of agendas at the bottom of your deck. Use him to reshuffle if you've gone too far with that.

Power shutdown: Kill programs any chance you get. Datasuckers are trouble, as are corroders. Mimic is probably the worst card you'll face the most often, but the best nastiest counter in the entire game is Snitch. You MUST kill snitch if you see one. Any way you can. Snitch completely removes the danger of the central ice. Ironically enough Blackguard HELPS you here, since you get to rez the ice and snitch doesn't let a runner escape from rezzed ice. (EDIT: Oh it lets you out of it at the TIME the ice is rezzed, but on future runs they have to face the ice) If you see a snitch, pull some dirty tricks, moving Grim over to your scoring server to kill it if you have to. Just be sure to get rid of it.

Snare: Keep these in your hand unless you are pretty sure a runner will bite. You want the hand to be a dangerous place as sometimes you'll have to bide your time for your scoring windows.

Subliminal messaging: Oh how I love this card in this deck. There will be many turns the runner does not want to run. They know a caprice is out there... they know they need to cash up. Fine. Let me draw 2 subliminals back to hand. I get 2 extra cash over the next few turns for nothing. Not only that but they synergize well with Jackson howard. Get agenda jammed? Pull all your subliminals back to get a big fat hand. Discard agendas at the end of the turn. Have only 2 cards in hand and one is an agenda? Pull subliminals back. Now the runner has a 1/5 chance instead of 1/2. Only time you wouldn't pull them all back is if you've got a snare party going on in HQ. Then keep the hand lean.

Questions / requests for advice
While NAPD and Caprice are a match made in heaven, I'm not 100% sold on them. This deck has 4 cards that can give it bad pub: 2 clone retirements and 2 grims. There's both positive and negative synergy with clone retirement, but Grim is trouble. I tell myself well your other options are to take on more agendas at the cost of cards you like... perhaps snare... or fetal AI. Fetal is tougher to score and has no synergy with anything in the deck... if I'm floating 1 bad pub, NAPD is like fetal (5/2), except it costs a little more (only 3 though due to the BP) and no damage. Curious as to what you folks think.

I was debating for a while about removing the clone retirement as they're dangerous to have floating around... but being able to score the 7th point from hand (and thus only need to score 3 agendas in remotes) is pretty darn strong. I've won a lot of games that way.

Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts. What can/should I do to tweak this further?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Palpster
Netherlands
Nunspeet
Gelderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're really worried about bad pub you could replace the Gila Hands with Veterans Program. Not sure what that would do for your economy though, it is a really nice option to have...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zak Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like playing Replicating Perfection, and I know what you mean about ICE placement being the key.

A card I really like for R&D/HQ is Midori for this reason. She allows you to adjust a bit if you get a suboptimal draw and retain the scariness of unseen central ICE throughout the game (For a fairly low-ICE ID she can occasionally work to some degree as Caissa/Parasite removal too). I usually run with a full compliment of 'Encryption Protocol's though, and no-one ever bothers trashing her for that many credits.

If you do give Midori a run and find yourself often sitting on a pile of cash in the later game, Cell Portal can be a good 'one of' as a nice surprise with her too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Dalesandry
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the deck and the writeup. I'm still working on tweaking my own RP for Caprice.

Personally, I'd get rid of the BP: Grim and Clone Retirement. I used to run Grim in my RP deck, and the BP wasn't worth it. Considering when they run, they often are running 2 servers a turn, BP hurts you more in RP than in other decks.

Personal preference again, I'd run Tollbooth instead of the Power Shutdowns. That's mostly because I have terrible luck with it. Especially since you'll usually be hitting a datasucker or a corroder, and you are only running 4 barriers. But I'd be interested to hear how it works out for you in testing. I know shutdown is a great card, so I must just not be using it correctly.

Here's my current RP deck for comparison: http://www.netrunnerdb.com/en/decklist/3585/garden-of-the-ro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daine .

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd trade the clones for veteran's programs (so you can keep your money makers).

Upgrade your enigmas for datapikes. Two credits is just as good as stealing a click and datapike must be broken, even on click 4. You have the money, so it's strictly better.

I don't like yagura, personally. I think wall of thorns or swordsman are better. But that's just me.

Consider adding some ronins to this deck, possibly trading out a snare or two for them. Active aggression >> passive aggression.

It's pretty solid, overall. Glad to see good RP decks popping up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Schulte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd make the baku's paper walls. Being able to move them back to your hand during an access is nice, but they make more sense on your centrals imo. They force them to get there breaker and then they go away, leaving only nasty ice instead of an etr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M.
msg tools
joeymcjoeysalot wrote:
I'd make the baku's paper walls. Being able to move them back to your hand during an access is nice, but they make more sense on your centrals imo. They force them to get there breaker and then they go away, leaving only nasty ice instead of an etr.

I disagree, its extremely useful putting a bako over centrals for temporary protection, then being able to pull it back to use for a sundew or something else. With paper wall you can't use it for anything other than making them pull out a breaker. In my RP deck I'm always happy to see bako, especially for early game protection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Spiekerman
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, nice deck. I have been running an RP deck for a while now and can add some random thoughts.

Your econ seems a little light. One thought is to replace Snare!s with Shock!s. Though not as nasty, Shock! is cheaper and synergizes a bit with power shutdown as it can make it more annoying for the runner to check archives after the shutdown. How much do you miss Celebrity Gift?

I know what you mean about ICE positioning, but I find it's often hard to get all 3 centrals covered (with pain ICE) AND set up a remote. And you also recommend covering your Sundews (which seems good BTW), which adds to the ICE duties required. I run 19 ICE, and so it seems to me that with only 17, I would be hard pressed to accomplish all those tasks in a timely manner. Maybe you could take a stab at replacing your Clone Retirements with another NAPD contract or Nisei, giving you another slot for ICE. Also possibly replace the two Gila's. You've still got the Grims to worry about though in terms of BP.

False Leads can be good to score something bigger in RP, but you're not running any 5/3's so probably not worth it to add any of those.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.