24 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: New preview up on Wizkids...sort of... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://wizkidsgames.com/blog/2014/03/28/star-trek-attack-win...

Nistrim Raider. So not much new info there. But at least this gets us a preview. Se we can expect one next week hopefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Stair
United States
Macon Area
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There were a couple cards in there we hadn't seen before, so this is totally acceptable. Strange that it came out on a Friday, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
There were a couple cards in there we hadn't seen before, so this is totally acceptable. Strange that it came out on a Friday, though.

Holy, man! You've been whining about this for weeks. Now, you finally get a preview and it's just passable.

Good grief.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Percy0715 wrote:
Novacat wrote:

Holy, man! You've been whining about this for weeks. Now, you finally get a preview and it's just passable.

Good grief.

I haven't done any whining. Would you prefer I found it unacceptable? That seems like it would be whining to me.

Everyone already knew about most of these cards. There's only a little new information here, so it's not going to get anyone excited. It is an indication that the previews are going to continue, though, which is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey this is cool. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initial thoughts:

Culluh - Limited use. Probably no more than a couple of free actions a game. But there are better uses for crew out there. Probably most use with the 1 point crew gankers.

Rettik - Very "Sar-Like" so may see some use.

Kazon Raiding Party - Very nice card. Swap two damage on shields for a crit that by-passes shields and lets you steal a Tech item at the same time.
Need to clear up how this card works pretty quickly.

Seska - A "useable" crew ganker now there's more than just O'Brien and the Jem Hadar.

Tierna - Deliver that Coup de Grace against damaged ships without wasting your attack. Also useful against fighters (particularly Hideki).

Nistrim Raider - As small ships go I quite like this one. The need for a little more attack punch (i.e. a secondary weapon) will probably restrict it to a max of 4 useable ships in 100 points though.

Masking Circuitry - Subtle difference to Cloaking Device could be very important just need some clarification before I can tell.

Photonic Charges - Very nice particularly for those who like to play "action restiction" builds.

Well. I'm off to the FAQ thread now to see if I can get my queries answered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now we can return to people complaining only about Blind Buys and OP Prizes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:

Don't forget the constant faction balance debates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SteRT wrote:
Masking Circuitry - Subtle difference to Cloaking Device could be very important just need some clarification before I can tell.

It's a bit weaker than the Federation/Dominion cloaking devices, it seems. IE., with the Fed/Dom cloaks, you can't 'engage cloak' every single turn. On those ships, you need to spend one turn since you last activated it to re-enable the device. That is, a typical Romulan/Klingon cycle of 'turn x...[action]cloak, [attack]break cloak by firing...turn x+1: [action]cloak again, [attack]break cloak by firing...etc' - which doesn't work. The cadence those ships end up being 'turn x: [action]cloak, [attack]break cloak by firing...turn x+1: [action]re-enable cloak, [attack]firing...turn x+2: [action]cloak, [attack]break cloak by firing', etc.

The Kazon device works largely the same as the latter, however the presence of the aux token when triggering it means that you need to add a green maneuver after engaging it before you can even start ANY PART of the recovery-to-reuse process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
It's also a point cheaper. While 1 SP isn't a lot, it is a difference. The aux token makes the Nistrim Cloak harder to pull off in mid combat though.

I like these photonic charges on the Nistrim ship though. Given the number of Scan based cards, that combination will be nice.

I expect to see Kazon Raiding Party with Weyoun at some point.

The officer that allows you to roll 2 dice against an unshield/uncloaked ship might get some mileage with Weyoun.

I'm kind of expecting to see or play a ship like this:
20 Nistrim Raider
4+1 Weyoun
3 Tierna
5 Kazon Raiding Party
3 Photonic Charges
36 points

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
It's also a point cheaper. While 1 SP isn't a lot, it is a difference.

The aux token makes the Nistrim Cloak harder to pull off in mid combat though.

Depends on its dial. On a dial with a lot of "good" green maneuvers (Vor'Cha, Valdore, Dominion bug ship), it's nearly no inconvenience at all, as you'd be only getting the stress token after your action phase has finished (by you engaging the cloak). Stress tokens have nearly no effect in combat, so...clear it right away the next maneuver phase, and can immediately take action again.

IF the dial has a lot of green. Who knows if any Kazon ships do, of course. This one is a bit so-so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The green options aren't great.
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1958347/star-trek-attack-wing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
SteRT wrote:

It's a bit weaker than the Federation/Dominion cloaking devices, it seems. IE., with the Fed/Dom cloaks, you can't 'engage cloak' every single turn. On those ships, you need to spend one turn since you last activated it to re-enable the device. That is, a typical Romulan/Klingon cycle of 'turn x...[action]cloak, [attack]break cloak by firing...turn x+1: [action]cloak again, [attack]break cloak by firing...etc' - which doesn't work. The cadence those ships end up being 'turn x: [action]cloak, [attack]break cloak by firing...turn x+1: [action]re-enable cloak, [attack]firing...turn x+2: [action]cloak, [attack]break cloak by firing', etc.

The Kazon device works largely the same as the latter, however the presence of the aux token when triggering it means that you need to add a green maneuver after engaging it before you can even start ANY PART of the recovery-to-reuse process.

Which is why it's a point cheaper. It doesn't really help any other faction since that point would come back on when added cross faction meaning 9 points, which is what you have from Feds when equipping other than the USS Defiant and other than the Keldon with the Dominion. So it's a thematic cloak.

As for the other cards, Photonic charges will be similar to the Dominion ED as it will be pretty tough to land, although range 1-2 helps (and again, yay they only went range 1 and not 1-2 with the ED). I am glad that it's an attack and not an Action because if it was an action it would be abused worse than the Ferengi EM Pulse. Even still I think I want to try out 4x Praetus each with Cloaked Mines and Photonic Charges plus a RSV with Cloaked Mines (99 points). 5 mine fields and 4 ships that will try to hit you with an aux to either encourage you to drive into a mine to get your actions back or just deal with no actions (among other annoyances). You could tweak that list a little, but definitely tasty. You just have to make those photonic charges land.

I like Tierna, although a little situational. It is a weaker Gelnon, but not attached as a captain. He is definitely deadly against the Hideki Fighters. The fighters have no shields, so just roll 1 hit and you swat a skeeter.

Glad to see the preview. Fun ship. Not earth shattering, but there is definitely stuff worth picking up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erin OConnor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
What is your favorite color?
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:

OMG BLIND BUY

QQ

QQ

QQ

I seem to be in the minority about the blind buy. I am actually looking forward to it. I think it will be a hell of a lot of fun to build a fleet with an unknown in it. And then to have the tactical genius to fly and win with an unknown in the build...awesome ! (Reminds be of MTG sealed or Android Netrunner draft) I also like how it is optional so those whom wish to not participate are not required to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bueckert
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Echo2Omega wrote:
drscottkelly wrote:

OMG BLIND BUY

QQ

QQ

QQ

I seem to be in the minority about the blind buy. I am actually looking forward to it. I think it will be a hell of a lot of fun to build a fleet with an unknown in it. And then to have the tactical genius to fly and win with an unknown in the build...awesome ! (Reminds be of MTG sealed or Android Netrunner draft) I also like how it is optional so those whom wish to not participate are not required to do so.

I agree. I like the prospect of having to integrate in some randomness. I hope I can find an OP event in my area.

And who knows - maybe in like wave 10 (or past whatever wave we've already had info on), they'll just start releasing these into those waves to appease completionists. Either way though, it doesn't really bother me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Echo2Omega wrote:
drscottkelly wrote:

OMG BLIND BUY
QQ
QQ
QQ

Count me as one who also thinks it could be a lot of fun.
Anything to change up the game a little and get people out of their "build comfort zones" will be a good thing.

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really that surprising that they went with that ship first, since they'd all ready done a partial reveal. The question is which will they save for last... the sphere or Voyager. I don't even know which I'd rather see sooner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yourmonkey06 wrote:
Not really that surprising that they went with that ship first, since they'd all ready done a partial reveal. The question is which will they save for last... the sphere or Voyager. I don't even know which I'd rather see sooner!

I would prefer to see the sphere first, but I'm interested in all three of the other ships in this wave. So in a way, it's kind of a relief that we have the Kazon ship out of the way. Now I know it won't interrupt the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You know... I think this will be a fun little ship. I was skeptical about the Kazon, but Andrew and the Wizkids team has convinced me. This looks like it could be a very pesky and annoying ship (similar in this regard to the Ferengi Maurader).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Progressive Gamer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kazon Raiding Party forces the hands of the Romulans. Interphase Generator ship are going to be a target for them. It's going to make you want to spend your generator on the two hits. Just so your opponent dose not take it for themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
350s10 wrote:
Kazon Raiding Party forces the hands of the Romulans. Interphase Generator ship are going to be a target for them. It's going to make you want to spend your generator on the two hits. Just so your opponent dose not take it for themselves.

On the off-chance that the Kazons can actually score 2 hits against them while cloaked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Progressive Gamer
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
350s10 wrote:

On the off-chance that the Kazons can actually score 2 hits against them while cloaked.

Ya, I wasn't thinking it is 2 vs 6 at base attack and defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Novacat wrote:
350s10 wrote:

Especially given they only have a primary attack of "2" in the first place. Shooting 2 dice at a cloaked ship, and getting BOTH to hit...well, let's just say the odds for that aren't great.

(Although it makes me suspect we'll see some other Kazon ship at some point that features a secondary weapon upgrade of 'boarding torpedo' or something like that, specifically for use with this upgrade. Rolls 8 attack dice or something, however after any modifiers or result cancellation, only scores a max of two 'hits' to the target.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.