Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Fairly new to GBoH. A few battles of C:CoG under my belt. Just bought SPQR and am reading the rules in anticipation of playing that soon. Confess to not being an expert on Roman military history. But, I have a question about the relationship between these two games and whether or not it would make sense to combine more of the rules between them. Specifically.

1) Roman aquila. Did the Romans use an aquila during the time of the SPQR battles? The cover artwork of the rule book sure looks like they did. Would it make sense to use C:CoG aquila rules (aquila rally, carry, and rout points for loss) in SPQR?

2) Engaged optional rule in SPQR. Why wasn't this optional rule engaging adjacent, non-moving, already fighting units brought into C:CoG. Would it make sense to use this SPQR rule in C:CoG?

I'm already combining the chits (shock, missile supply, cohesion, routed, etc) from the two games into a common counter tray so I don't have issues with availability and I don't intend to sell them, so I'm not worried about keeping the games separate and intact. Why not combine some additional rules that make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Simple GBOH rules attempt to combine most of the GBOH series under a common rule set. It's pretty cheap but only works with certain titles. I know it works for C:CoG and SPQR but it doesn't work with Samurai or Lion of the North.

Check it out here: Simple GBoH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) No until the Marian reform of 104 B.C. but also after that date, the aquila (eagle) has not become a magic item like in CCoG.
2) I do not know anyone who uses this optional rule in SPQR, so I'm not well suited to respond.

"Why not combine some additional rules that make sense? "

Try to import the auxiliares phase from Caesar. Is a good rule from both the play that the historical point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loris Pagnotta
Italy
Brusaporto
Bergamo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Phil but,
Simple GBoH is simply another game. Same maps same pieces but different play. No momentum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Keeler
Germany
Mittelbrunn
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Loris,

I just read up a little bit on the Marian reforms and can see now that the aquila rules are appropriate for C:CoG and not for SPQR.

I like the idea of importing the C:CoG auxiliaries phase into SPQR.

Dan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.