Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb

2 - 6 players | <60 seconds | Ages 8 and up

Official Rules v1.2

Overview
BURGLE is a real-time dice rolling dexterity microgame. All players choose a set of dice and then simultaneously reroll them in rapid succession to be the first to complete all three tasks in order.

Gameplay
Before the game begins, each player takes on the role of a thief and chooses a set of 2 matching dice to roll throughout the game. Each set has a unique ability that alters the game rules (see Dice Sets below).

Designate a starter. When everyone is ready, the starter yells “Go!” All thieves begin rolling their dice repeatedly and announcing their progress as they attempt to complete each task in order. The three tasks are:

 First – Equip a cloak and dagger.
 Second – Sneak by the guards.
 Third – Steal the jewels.

A task is completed by rolling its corresponding pair; the first task requires a rolled Cloak & Dagger, the second task requires a rolled Sneak & Guard, and the third task requires a rolled Steal & Jewel.

Locking Dice
If you roll one of the results needed for the current task you must “lock” it. A locked die cannot be rolled again until the other result is rolled to complete the pair. Jewels cannot be locked.

Fleeing - Anytime you roll double Guards you must immediately call out “flee” and scoop your dice to start over at the first task! You are more likely to roll double Guards during the second task when a Guard can be locked.

Dice Sets (Thieves)

There are 6 available dice sets (thieves) in the core game. Each thief has a unique special that alters the game rules.
Below is an overview of the 6 core dice sets):

meeple Open the rules for full details on each individual thief power! meeple

This game was inspired by Angry Dice. If you have never heard of Angry Dice, it is a real-time dice rolling microgame that was offered as part of the VivaJava: The Coffee Game: The Dice Game Kickstarter campaign. For more indepth information check out this interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Burgle Development Log
3.28.14 - Game Creation
3.31.14 - Official Rules v1.0 released (v1.1 had grammar fixes)
4.2.14 - Official Rules v1.2 released
-Major editing changes provided by Tank Hughes
-Added variants
-Reworked art and layout

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weston Stapleton
United States
Keller
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I liked goats before they were cool
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Thief Dice - A thematic redesign with some of the Angry Dice mechanics
Game looks pretty quick and interesting. So do you have pairs of the same dice and you can use them against other pairs? Or can you have 1 Shady and 1 Stealthy and they can both work with each other. 2 more questions:
-where do you find all of these cool minimalistic icons?
-why arent you working on Strongholds ? I want those colored dice stickers in the components, so I can print em out and try it. (Also, the cards need more goats)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Burgle: The dice rolling dexterity microgame
goatfarmer03 wrote:
Game looks pretty quick and interesting. So do you have pairs of the same dice and you can use them against other pairs? Or can you have 1 Shady and 1 Stealthy and they can both work with each other.

Yes, each player selects a set of matching thief dice to roll. I have now clarified this is the OP.

2 more questions:
-where do you find all of these cool minimalistic icons?

Its a hybrid of free icon and art sites (game-icons mainly) and my own designs and tweaks to various shapes and art.

-why arent you working on Strongholds ? I want those colored dice stickers in the components, so I can print em out and try it. (Also, the cards need more goats)

The new versions of the rules and components have been updated as of 3.30.14! We'll have to see about getting more goats in the next version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Burgle: The dice rolling dexterity microgame
How do you feel about Stealing Jewels instead of Stealing Coins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Thief Dice - A thematic redesign with some of the Angry Dice mechanics
i think jewels are more thematically interesting
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Burgle: The dice rolling dexterity microgame
dumarest123 wrote:
i think jewels are more thematically interesting

My thoughts as well. The OP and images have been updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Poll: DIsplay Preference
Would you rather have the Jewel die face with or without the lock symbol on it? If the symbol is taken off, players will just have to remember the rule that Jewel results can't be locked like the others can.
Keep the lock symbol.
Remove the lock symbol.
      29 answers
Poll created by JewellGames

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After you roll a necessary pair, do you grab another pair of dice to continue or do you roll the same two dice the entire game? I'm unfamiliar with the VivaJava micro game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Same dice the whole game.

I'm meaning to make official rules very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Price
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Angry Dice. I'll have to check it out. Anyway, your game looks really cool. I can't wait to see the official rules. Any idea when they'll be ready?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted in the poll above, but I just want to make a comment on the jewel face.

I think you should remove the lock symbol. That jewels cannot be locked is not a difficult rule to remember. It's not worth cluttering up your dice design with an icon that reminds you of a core rule of the game.

For instance, what if Magic the Gathering had an icon on every spell reminding you that you had to discard it after playing it? Totally unnecessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bonet
United States
Larchmont
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused about the rule about locking jewels. You need to finish two steps before you get to the jewel phase. Since you only have two dice, you wouldn't be able to lock the jewel in an earlier phase? Isn't the rule unnecessary because of this?

I'll definitely read the rules when they are posted. This is an interesting game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
MikeNvP wrote:
I'm confused about the rule about locking jewels. You need to finish two steps before you get to the jewel phase. Since you only have two dice, you wouldn't be able to lock the jewel in an earlier phase? Isn't the rule unnecessary because of this?

I'll definitely read the rules when they are posted. This is an interesting game.

Hopefully the rules help clarify your confusion. Official Rules v1.0 has been released.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is this a dexterity game? It just seems like a dice game. Which is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think he means dexterity as in a thief is dextrous when he or she steals things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
How is this a dexterity game? It just seems like a dice game. Which is good.

The dexterity comes from being able to quickly scoop up and reroll your dice. You would be surprised how hard it is to consistently pick up and roll dice in a controlled manner when several other people are also on the last task. I've seen someone launch their die across the table while frantically trying to reach for it during this game.

Edit: and yes because of the thieves too, Todd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I haven't put it in the rules but for now I have been using a coin for the stealth/unstealth toggle and the flashy thief's set activation.

Basically, I slap the coin on the table when I have stealth and pick it back up and hold in my offhand when I am unstealthed. Same for the flashy thief's set, I hold it until I've set the jewel for locking then slap it down.

I could use cards that you quickly rotate 180 (flipping is actually tedious for this game) but wont do that unless I make reference cards for all thieves (which I may or may not do right now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Small changes:

I'm changing it so ambush pushes their opponent back to the previous task instead of starting over.

Since it's pushing them "back" I may rename ambush to backstab.

Backstab - Roll double daggers and call out "Backstab {name}". That person must first pick up both their dice. Then, they must go back to previous task (unless already on the first task.)

With this wording, backstab at a minimum will force the opponent to pick up locked dice.

Also, I'm still tweaking both the friendly and pesky powers.

One suggestion was to change the pesky power from making you stop rolling dice and have to count to 10 to something like this:

Roll double steal and call out "Delay {name}". That person must first pick up their dice and then may not continue their task until they roll any doubles (double guards still trigger Flee). Once the doubles are rolled, they can continue on their current task.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Nash
United States
McCall
ID
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like it would be really fun, quick and intense! I want to play
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Nash
United States
McCall
ID
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JewellGames wrote:
Poll: DIsplay Preference
Would you rather have the Jewel die face with or without the lock symbol on it? If the symbol is taken off, players will just have to remember the rule that Jewel results can't be locked like the others can.
Keep the lock symbol.
Remove the lock symbol.
      29 answers
Poll created by JewellGames

It seems we are at an impasse... I voted to have it removed because it is a very simple rule to remember and it cleans up the visual look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Version 1.2 of the official rules has been uploaded.

This version has been edited by Tank Hughes. Thanks again Tank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's strange. I ran into Tenzi on the same day I saw this thread (back when it was Thief dice).

My reaction to Tenzi: "Great! Now all I gotta do is wait for this to hit the thrift stores or the clearance aisles, and I'll have a cheap source for multi colored dice."

My reaction to Thief dice: "Great! Now I know what I'll do when I get the Tenzi dice!"

Nice to see this shaping up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bradennash wrote:
This looks like it would be really fun, quick and intense! I want to play

Bradennash wrote:
It seems we are at an impasse... I voted to have it removed because it is a very simple rule to remember and it cleans up the visual look.

Good to hear! I'm planning to offer prototypes for playtesting and review within the next few weeks.

Yeah it still seems divided. Ultimately, I think after one or two games people will be trained that a Jewel result during the third task cannot be to locked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a couple two-player games of Burgle today. I know the game is designed as a very small experience, but it felt a little flat to us. Oftentimes it just boiled down to two players rerolling a single die until someone won.

But! We gave it some thought and came up with a crazy solution. Here it is, take it or leave it:

Burgle Extended Edition
The game now has a board, jewel tokens, and thief pawns. As you move through the tasks, move your pawn through the rooms on the board.

The game doesn't end when someone collects a jewel. Instead, stack the jewel token on your pawn and roll your way back through the guard's room. Once you get outside, place the jewel in your team's stash and get ready to go back in.

The game ends when all of the jewels have been stashed. The team with the most jewels wins.

Thief Powers
You can only use your power on other Thieves who are in the same room as you. Do you hang back and try to sabotage the other team or do you just race ahead and grab the jewels?

Here's a quick board that I slapped together:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.