10 Posts

Wiz-War» Forums » Rules

Subject: BUDDY an Attack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Gilson
United States
flag msg tools
I am working on assembling a homemade version using Ilya's Magic Stone redesign. In preparing the cards to be printed I noticed that Buddy was changed from a Neutral to an Attack spell. This change seems to go back to at least Kwanchai's Wiz War Redesign. What was the impetus for this change, as Buddy is an iconic Wiz-War card to me? Also did this change happen in the 6th or 7th Editions, or is it an entirely fan made alteration?

I realize that making Buddy an attack makes the card more interactive. There are more ways to counter attacks than neutrals. Also adding the Enchantment/Curse type to the card increases the ways to remove it once it has been cast. I can see how this would reduce the frustration factor for those under the effect of Buddy. But this also reduces the creativity needed to operate under its constraints. If you want to kill your Buddy, you have to be sneaky about it. Plus using a Remove Curse to make you stop thinking someone is your Buddy feels counter to the whole idea that you think they are your Buddy. (Not to mention the loss of satisfaction in attacking someone then making them your Buddy.)

Right now I am torn on whether to use the Neutral Spell or the Attack Enchantment/Curse version. Any thoughts or insights on why this change was made would be appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea that Buddy would be an attack is wrong, wrong in every way. Of course it should be a neutral, and the very idea that someone would be able to counteract Buddy, much less want to, is bogo-thematic. Who doesn't love having a Buddy? Even if it does seem to correlate with a sharp increase in the number of tragic stone-wall-demolition-related accidents which befall one's Buddy.

(Sorry, as far as your question of when it changed, I don't know.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ooooh, I know this one. Stupid Wiz-War trivia clogging up my brain.

It was changed in Jeff Barrett's (jeloba) PnP set, which is the granddaddy of both the Kwanchai and Ilya redesigns.

He changed it basically because it's a brutal gamechanging spell, and their group toned it down a bit by making it an attack spell. He's also the one who first drew a distinction between LOS and LOM (line of motion) on some spells. There was a post on his blog way back when about the PnP set and what changes he'd made in it.

The pure frustration of BUDDY is the reason for the change, do with that what you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gilson
United States
flag msg tools
Not Sure wrote:
Ooooh, I know this one. Stupid Wiz-War trivia clogging up my brain.

It was changed in Jeff Barrett's (jeloba) PnP set, which is the granddaddy of both the Kwanchai and Ilya redesigns.

He changed it basically because it's a brutal gamechanging spell, and their group toned it down a bit by making it an attack spell. He's also the one who first drew a distinction between LOS and LOM (line of motion) on some spells. There was a post on his blog way back when about the PnP set and what changes he'd made in it.

The pure frustration of BUDDY is the reason for the change, do with that what you will.

Interesting, I went and dug on Jeff Barrett's site but couldn't find any blog posts. If you happen to have a link I would be extremely interested in knowing what he changed. Also a more detailed description of LOS vs. LOM would be nice to read over. In looking for a rules set I can only find the original 5th edition rules, which include a reference to Artifacts (something that people seem happy to forget), and Ilya's quick reference sheet which is missing things like punching. I think a good rules compendium for the Magic Stone redesign is the only thing missing for full game set.

I can see BUDDY being very frustrating. Will probably vary the version based on the group as some can handle such one sided spells and others can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EconNinja wrote:
Not Sure wrote:
He changed it basically because it's a brutal gamechanging spell, and their group toned it down a bit

I can see BUDDY being very frustrating.

To me Buddy is game-changing in a fun & interesting way. Yeah, if you hit me with Buddy, I can't attack you directly... but you probably also won't attack me directly; I can still run around and win the game, I can attack other players, and/or I can build up a hand of doom for when I finally do provoke you into attacking me.

If you have people who think Buddy is too frustrating, definitely take out Medusa, and maybe Create Wall and Fill Square With Stone. I'd rather get hit by Buddy any day of the week than have to punch myself out of another closet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do believe that ANY spell that changes the game-state (walls and other constructs, things that affect what other player's can do) is a game changer by very nature of the fact that it is changing some sort of rule or tile. These types of spells are going to have a much greater effect on the game than any attack spell (except for draining type spells, although I have won while under the "influence" of one of those once or twice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
That's not my name.
msg tools
mbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
EconNinja wrote:
Not Sure wrote:
He changed it basically because it's a brutal gamechanging spell, and their group toned it down a bit

I can see BUDDY being very frustrating.

To me Buddy is game-changing in a fun & interesting way. Yeah, if you hit me with Buddy, I can't attack you directly... but you probably also won't attack me directly; I can still run around and win the game, I can attack other players, and/or I can build up a hand of doom for when I finally do provoke you into attacking me.

If you have people who think Buddy is too frustrating, definitely take out Medusa, and maybe Create Wall and Fill Square With Stone. I'd rather get hit by Buddy any day of the week than have to punch myself out of another closet.

There are many more ways to get out from behind a wall than there are to get out from Buddy.

I also think the frustration factor of Buddy is diminished as the player count goes up. It's not a change that matters much to me, do whatever you think is better. I think my jeloba set still has it as an Attack.

I'd even punch my way out of a closet just to get to use my old set again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Sure wrote:
There are many more ways to get out from behind a wall than there are to get out from Buddy.

Yeah, but you don't have to get out from Buddy; you can continue running around, having fun & winning the game. When you're stuck in a closet, you're watching everyone else play until you punch or draw your way out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gilson
United States
flag msg tools
As a point of reference Tom Jolly's Wiz-War site indicates that Buddy was changed to an attack in 6th or 7th edition. The relevant portion of the FAQ is included below.

Quote:
FAQ: Some people think this should be an ATTACK. If you want to play it that way, fine. Some people also think it should be burned. Some play it as a duration card, so you could do this as a house rule. In the next revision, it will just become an ATTACK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EconNinja wrote:
As a point of reference Tom Jolly's Wiz-War site indicates that Buddy was changed to an attack in 6th or 7th edition.

Neither that page nor the two forum threads it links to seem to have any comment by Tom Jolly, though.

(And even if he did say it ought to be an attack, what does that guy know, anyway?! Unless he agrees that it's a violation of the natural order for it to be anything but a neutral, in which case he is a scholar & a gentleman, wise beyond his years, an inspiration to us all.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.