Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is a "ruins" terrain card also a "Dungeon" entrance just like the board space and is the "crags" terrain card also a "Highlands" entrance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome questions! Don't know the answer. surprise soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Gardner
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it is meant to also have the effect, let's see if we ever get an official ruling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mark_biggar wrote:
Is a "ruins" terrain card also a "Dungeon" entrance just like the board space and is the "crags" terrain card also a "Highlands" entrance?

No they aren't, they are just new Ruins & Crags spaces.

The Dungeon is connected to the main Talisman board at the main board's Ruins space and the Highland is connected to the main Talisman board at the main board's Crags space.

Just because other spaces become Ruins or Crags spaces, they are not the fixed entry points to the expansion boards! If a Crags Terrain card appears on the Ruins space, a character may still freely cross to the Dungeon board, as it is the fixed space that you enter the Dungeon from.

Ell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one problem I have with the Firelands Rulesheet, is that if there are no Terrain Cards left of a certain type, a player has to move a Terrain Card of that type that is already on the board to the space. This is contrary to the Limited Resource rule from the core rulebook. Therefore I have amended the rule as follows:

"If an effect causes a player to place a Terrain Card on a space and there are no cards of the required type left in the Terrain deck, the effect of placing the Terrain Card is ignored."

This is now in accordance with the Limited Resource rule!

Ell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Tosolini
Italy
Povoletto
Udine
flag msg tools
That's because I currently cannot play any board games.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanamsilat wrote:
mark_biggar wrote:

No they aren't, they are just new Ruins & Crags spaces.

The Dungeon is connected to the main Talisman board at the main board's Ruins space and the Highland is connected to the main Talisman board at the main board's Crags space.

Just because other spaces become Ruins or Crags spaces, they are not the fixed entry points to the expansion boards! If a Crags Terrain card appears on the Ruins space, a character may still freely cross to the Dungeon board, as it is the fixed space that you enter the Dungeon from.

Ell.

This is obviously the right way to handle the situation. The Firelands Rulesheet says only this:

When using an expansion board, if a Terrain Card is on a
space that allows movement between boards, characters can
still move to and from the expansion board following the
normal movement rules of that expansion.

but it's quite obvious that the normal movement rules stated in the board expansion always remain in effect. What matters is the physical connection between boards, not the name of the spaces. The statement in the Rulesheet enforces this idea.

Of course the name of the space matters when you're moved by a game effect (e.g. Trap Door teleports you to Dungeon Entrance, but won't work if Dungeon Entrance has a Terrain Card).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talismanamsilat wrote:
The one problem I have with the Firelands Rulesheet, is that if there are no Terrain Cards left of a certain type, a player has to move a Terrain Card of that type that is already on the board to the space.

And this is a problem how exactly?
The expansion introduces 'terrain changing magic', and you have issues with it changing back?
I'd say that's probably how they intended it to work.

talismanamsilat wrote:
This is contrary to the Limited Resource rule from the core rulebook.

I cannot find that rule in the BI rules.
The closest is rule 20:2, which only covers Purchase deck and (purple) Talismans.

I'm inclined to go with the good old stand-by rules of "specific trumps general".
Generally, if there is nothing left of something, then too bad.
But the rules specifically say "grab a different one". And this is OK.

Also, they obviously didn't plan on there being terrain changing anything when they were writing the base game rules, and even if they did plan on it, they wouldn't bother mentioning it, because it would just add confusion to the base game.

As normal, you are always free to use whatever houserules you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DomaGB
United States
Green Bay area
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/366017/limited-resources-que...

In the new FF rules it states that "Limited Resources:
All resources are limited to the number of components provided
with the game. For example, if all Strength counters are in
use, no additional Strength can be gained until some of those
counters have been returned to the Strength counter stockpile.
If a character is able to trade five 1–point counters for the corresponding
one 5–point counter, he must do so."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grarrrg wrote:
talismanamsilat wrote:
The one problem I have with the Firelands Rulesheet, is that if there are no Terrain Cards left of a certain type, a player has to move a Terrain Card of that type that is already on the board to the space.

And this is a problem how exactly?
The expansion introduces 'terrain changing magic', and you have issues with it changing back?
I'd say that's probably how they intended it to work.

talismanamsilat wrote:
This is contrary to the Limited Resource rule from the core rulebook.

I cannot find that rule in the BI rules.
The closest is rule 20:2, which only covers Purchase deck and (purple) Talismans.

I'm inclined to go with the good old stand-by rules of "specific trumps general".
Generally, if there is nothing left of something, then too bad.
But the rules specifically say "grab a different one". And this is OK.

Also, they obviously didn't plan on there being terrain changing anything when they were writing the base game rules, and even if they did plan on it, they wouldn't bother mentioning it, because it would just add confusion to the base game.

As normal, you are always free to use whatever houserules you want.

Just my own practically worthless 2 cents, but I'd have to agree here. It seems to me that the limited resource rule was written into the base game rulebook and would specifically apply to the base game and any expansion rules that wouldn't specifically override this. However, it occurs to me that expansion rules are meant to enhance, in some ways alter, and in general, trump the base game rulebook where applicable. But I could see where some may want to strictly adhere to the core rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.