Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game» Forums » Strategy

Subject: When to use Adama's OPG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Obsidian Tower
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What do you find to be the "right" amount of cards to use Adama's once per game and collect all the cards after a skill check? Does anyone have a rule of thumb: "If X points in cards are available, it's unlikely I'll do better." Or is it completely situational?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly situational, but if I see a few high value cards (5's or 6's) sometimes I'll grab them to use for a rainy day, even if there is no immediate need.

It depends quite a bit on the game state and my current hand size.

Cooperating with known human allies can work wonders.

"Play big cards into this important check, so I can grab them and use them again!"

This, of course, can be used for good or evil, at will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Several criteria:

gray font denotes expansion situations

Look for key cards
no1 who draws blue naturally? Take some Repairs. Low on Politics? Snag up some ICs (Investigative Committee) to better tackle skill checks. Evasive Maneuvers may come in handy if a bunch of raiders are about to fire on vipers, esp. if they're protecting civvies. Don't bother with XOs, as Adama's already a "green monster" (draws 3 green). Expansions add some specific cards you may be seeking, like Build Nuke, Scout For Fuel (a lot of 6s to boot), or some of the Daybreak 5s

go for some measurable quantity
If you already have a lot of cards, I probably wouldn't use it just to get better quality cards alone, unless all you got are 0s and 1s, and some 2s. Snagging the 4s through 6s for the sheer numbers can go a long way

to prepare for up coming skill checks
if someone's going to brig you (he only draws green and purple, of which the AQ skill check is also 7GP, so he has no natural defense against that), you're about to brig someone (especially Political Prowess ), if you're the only one who won't be card poor after this, or if a super crisis is coming up.

go over the hand limit, and discard cards to help prove your loyalty

A meta-gamish thing is to make those not on your team more restrictive about putting cards into a skill check that you can just OPG and take.

Sometimes you hand may be forced sooner, like you see a good chance to reveal, so you may as well grab some good cards to retain for when you reveal, or if you have a chance to spike with some of them. It's still hilarious when Adama OPG's a bunch of cards on an AQ check, as it is sort of a "revenge" whether or not it passes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no one thing I'd use as a threshold - I'll go for quality over quantity - I'm more likely to OPG a check with multiple 4s and 5s or valuable effects. I'll also consider card supply - if I'm likely to need to discard at the end of the turn anyway, I'm less likely to OPG; if everyone's short on cards, I'm more likely to OPG.

Adama's OPG is one of those which I'd be happy to use pre-Sleeper - particularly if Sleeper is close, it lets you build your hand ready to support whichever team you end up on...

The other thing with Adama's OPG is that, on checks where I'm considering using it, I'm more willing to throw additional skill cards in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
possum man
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group suffers from the "no, I'll wait for a better time" fever with Adama's OPG and tends not to use it at all. D'oh!
I'm not hugely experienced, but I'd be tempted to go for quantity over quality. I'd rather have 2 XOs, 2 repairs and 2 evasive maneuvers so that I've got cards to counter every on-board situation that comes up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.