Smash Up» Forums » General

Subject: Does anyone have any good guesses for the Sept 2014 Expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick` G

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I know this was talked about in a different post, but it began to stray into a mathematical discussion and about the Big Geeky box that will come out later this year with the Geek faction.

I thought we could specifically bring our thoughts as to what the Sept 2014 factions will be.

During his Nerd Nighters interview, Todd said, "I can't say much about it, but it is the Fall release which is, of course, closer to Halloween, which is gonna be a slightly more influential part of that set this time, that's all I can really give away for this one."

I have a suspicion that Cowboys will be in this one.
I also wonder if they're going to introduce a HAVOC faction to counter the Super Spies.
Maybe a Monsters faction, instead of having a bunch of individual monsters with a faction all their own, followed by some more mystical Fairy/Elves- type faction.
Being close to Halloween, it still is a broad genre, since everything is fair game. Do you think that they'll stick more to the horror/scary theme though? I suppose if they've done Lovecraft, then Sci-Fi, Horror could be next, but so could fantasy, or Super Hero... Wrestlers?!
Just wondering if anyone else was pondering as I have been...
(btw, I just got SFDF, and love it... Can't wait to play it more)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is they stick with a horror theme, as it means more to Halloween than just costumes.

My random guesses:
Vampires - drain others powers like Poison, some cards drain and boost themselves
Werewolves - A deck with two options, and you can activate top or bottom
Mummies - some interaction with resurrection
Demons - strong powers but at a cost (like no actions next turn or something)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Perhaps a gothic monster faction, with guys like Frankenstein's Monster, Jekyll and Hyde, Dorian Gray, The Invisible Man, and the rest of those guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Luchadores.
Archaeologists.
Boogeymen.
Giant insects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1980's Globetrotters Basketball team
Gummi bears (1980's tv show)
Cops (from the 1980's animated TV show)
dark wing duck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orange_Chef wrote:
dark wing duck

This has what to do with Halloween?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
posterchild21 wrote:
My guess is they stick with a horror theme, as it means more to Halloween than just costumes.

My random guesses:
Vampires - drain others powers like Poison, some cards drain and boost themselves
Werewolves - A deck with two options, and you can activate top or bottom
Mummies - some interaction with resurrection
Demons - strong powers but at a cost (like no actions next turn or something)

I would be surprised if Vampires and Werewolves WEREN'T in this expansion since there's been so much talk about them. I wouldn't mind some moving away from use of the discard pile. There's a lot of powerful combinations using discard piles already.

I like your ideas for Vampires, Demons, and Werewolves. However, I think it would be sweet if the Werewolves had a Full Moon action card (maybe it would be a play on base card that affects all bases?) that allowed them to activate the bottom options. That way they wouldn't be too strong and it would require some good strategic play. There definitely aren't enough cards like Poison and some action cards like that in the Vampire deck would be sweet. Maybe even some cards that disable the minion's ability, perfect on Ivan. However, it might be hard to have minions that drain others since keeping track would be a bit frustrating.

I think I had heard news of a Cowboy faction coming up soon. I'm not certain about this though. This would seem like a good expansion to pair them with. I'm not sure what their theme could be though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Saint Sinner wrote:

I'm willing to bet a drain on VP wouldn't be hard to track.

I would love to see a 5 power minion or action card that forces an opponent to put a VP back. As long as it doesn't result in the user getting a VP (that would be a bit crazy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bennett
United States
Sturgeon Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
yeah that would be cool but I think it should have the restriction that you cannot take one away from someone who has less VP then you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Sinner wrote:
Quote:
However, it might be hard to have minions that drain others since keeping track would be a bit frustrating.

I'm willing to bet a drain on VP wouldn't be hard to track. :)

My son designed a vampires deck a year ago with vp drain. It's a bit brutal though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
johnny k
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampires : Maybe other players' discard pile manipultion? I 'd also like to see a "drain" VP card, but it could be really powerful if combined with Zombies or Time travelers that could take it back from their discard pile, but it might work well with a restriction to not be able to use it if you have the most VPs.

Werewolves : The full moon mechanic that was mentioned some posts before could be fitting, but I'm afraid that it would make the faction play on its own and not combine with the second one.

Witches : Put hexes on other players, especially minions, having more cards like Ninjas' Poison etc. Also make a minioj lose its ongoing ability.

Skeletons or Mummies : I can't think of a good mechanic for them and not play like the Zombies faction, but both of them would be nice to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick` G

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We've already got Wizards, Zombies, and Ghosts. It seems like a likely chance the could have Vampires, due to their popularity.

Todd did say that Halloween is "gonna be a slightly more influential part of that set this time", so if it were all monster types, was he trying to downplay it by phrasing it that way, versus saying it would be heavily influenced by Halloween?

Maybe I'm looking into his words a bit too deeply...
Good suggestions so far, everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saint Sinner wrote:
Perhaps that was an allusion to costumed-themed mayhem?

In which case, I say bring on the wrestlers already!!!!!

What would be the wrestler play style? Locking up minions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
posterchild21 wrote:
Orange_Chef wrote:
dark wing duck

This has what to do with anything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope there is a superhero faction. Has more to do with Halloween that you'd think - how many Batmans and Iron Mans do you see on Halloween compared with vampires and werewolves?

Also cowboys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameistopher wrote:
posterchild21 wrote:
Orange_Chef wrote:
dark wing duck

This has what to do with anything?

Well let's see:

The topic is asking about guesses for the next expansion, which we know is Halloween related.

These 4 decks are not Halloween, but rather 80's tv show themed.

So i guess my comment has to do with the fact that his answer has entirely nothing to do with this post or the question asked. If they asked what factions would you like to see, then maybe I'd get it. This thread is about GUESSES FOR THE NEXT EXPANSION!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameistopher wrote:
I really hope there is a superhero faction. Has more to do with Halloween that you'd think - how many Batmans and Iron Mans do you see on Halloween compared with vampires and werewolves?

Also cowboys.

I like both ideas here, what would a playstyle be?

I could see Superheros gaining power by saving others from destruction.

Maybe Cowboys could corral others in their base, but that would be too similar to the Geek card they showed.

Idk if they would do cowboys now that they have Doomtown.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
posterchild21 wrote:
mynameistopher wrote:

Also cowboys.

I like both ideas here, what would a playstyle be?

I could see Superheros gaining power by saving others from destruction.

Maybe Cowboys could corral others in their base, but that would be too similar to the Geek card they showed.

The idea I had for Superheroes ended up being really similar to what they went with for Cyborg Apes - actions that modify minions. Except in my idea, the actions would be superpowers (flight, x ray vision, what have you) and the minions would be secret identities (billionaire playboy, mild mannered reporter, etc.). But now that the Apes are out, that seems a little redundant, so IDK.

Cowboys (if we think of them more as lawmen) could have a mechanic that sort of keeps bad behavior in line. Maybe something that would counteract "Kill a minion" type cards. Or temporary disable minions, putting them in jail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick` G

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
posterchild21 wrote:

Thanks for pointing that out. I agree with you, unless they're going to cross boundaries with two different games. It will have 4 factions in it (Doomtown: Reloaded) as well, but after seeing that, Cowboys don't seem as likely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Cabibi
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still hoping for a monster set, including:

Vampires
Werewolves
Mummies
Frankenstein Monsters
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Snow
msg tools
With Pirates and ninjas how can you not have cowboys! my guess is that Cowboys will have a gamble like effect that triggers based on how much cards you or the opponent have. With cards named at high noon or showdown that destroy a lower level minion if you play your cards right.

As for werewolves and vampires they are a must and my guess is seeing how the sci fi double feature had reference to rocky horror picture show with time travelers and james bond with spies I sensing a twilight theme and are sure we are going to see sparkly vampires in there somewhere. No joke.

That leads the forth faction to guess And I am sensing Samurai but fairies would be nice I am guessing the use many enchantments to bewilder the opponent both on bases and minions (actions of course) and although they have low power the are increased in numbers. (if there are bugs Im guessing they do the same) Possibly even decrease power of the opposition. But Im almost certain the last faction is witches who curse with actions and make opponent discard to play an action or something like that opposite of wizards but similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Szymas
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameistopher wrote:

The idea I had for Superheroes ended up being really similar to what they went with for Cyborg Apes - actions that modify minions. Except in my idea, the actions would be superpowers (flight, x ray vision, what have you) and the minions would be secret identities (billionaire playboy, mild mannered reporter, etc.). But now that the Apes are out, that seems a little redundant, so IDK.

What if the superheroes had basic minions that attached cards with talents to them? It would use the talent idea more, as it's only used on a couple of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Vandenberg
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
AndySzy wrote:
mynameistopher wrote:

What if the superheroes had basic minions that attached cards with talents to them? It would use the talent idea more, as it's only used on a couple of cards.

The only issue could be that if you made the minions really basic and compensated with strong play on minion actions with talents, people would just use those actions on stronger minions from their other deck and superheroes would just become a support faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Spangler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhatAChamp wrote:
AndySzy wrote:
mynameistopher wrote:

The only issue could be that if you made the minions really basic and compensated with strong play on minion actions with talents, people would just use those actions on stronger minions from their other deck and superheroes would just become a support faction.

Another tweak to differentiate them from Apes could be that the minions are really low powered (until they get their powers played on them, they're only mild mannered humans after all), and the actions/talents add a ton of power. Makes it important to get the right cards at the right time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Nelson Jr.
United States
Cumberland
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Animelord wrote:
With Pirates and ninjas how can you not have cowboys! my guess is that Cowboys will have a gamble like effect that triggers based on how much cards you or the opponent have. With cards named at high noon or showdown that destroy a lower level minion if you play your cards right.

Yesss...

The Gambler - Power 1

Pick an opponent. You and they reveal the top card of your decks. If your card has the same or equal Power as your opponent, destroy one of their Minions (Actions have a Power of 2). If not, discard The Gambler.

Know When To Hold 'Em - Action

You have no hand limit this turn.

Know When To Fold 'Em - Action

Discard as many Minions from bases as you wish, then you may draw up to an equal number of cards

The Magnificent Six - Action

If you have 6 minions in play, you may play an extra minion.

In This World, There's Two Kinds Of People... - Action

Replace an opponent's Minion with a Minion from your discard pile.

Fill Your Hand! - Action

If you have two cards or fewer, draw up to five cards.

The Duke - Power 5

The Duke is not affected by other players' Minions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.