Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My group plays a lot of Cosmic encounter, as we love the negotiation aspect and the fact that a reversal or a lie doesn't doom future partnerships they way we've had with other games. While we are no means burnt out on Cosmic, we were wondering what games of a similar scope are out there. Perhaps without the invasion randomizer and more a focus on holding territory, but with the same balance as Cosmic so that the negations can remain fluid.

We dependably have game nights that are 2-3 hours. Cosmic works so well, as we can do 2 games of cosmic and have time for something else often.

A bonus would be a game that has a trading element as well, so we are able to make deals involving more than just promises and defense.

Smallworld doesn't promote much diplomacy with us, we're forever trying to make the optimal attacks and sometimes getting together for leader bashing.

What are people's thoughts on Nexus Ops ? Would players band up?

What about Kemet is it just too aggressive for any kind of alliance? How about Cyclades ? Would the auction mechanic work well with diplomacy?

I feel like Chinatown would be exactly our type of game, but it's been OOP so long, and its so expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion is a sure hit for your group. You're on teams, and there's a lot of cajoling/heckling/yelling going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see a like new copy of Chinatown in the BGG marketplace - pretty sure that's around what I paid for my new copy. It's hands down my favorite negotiation game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sell
United States
Stevens Point
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Intrigue is a pretty fun game, and its inexpensive. Has paper money, but I recommend swapping it for chips. There really is no limit to how each player will manipulate others for better positions. I don't remember if the rules state hidden money, but I like that a little better if its not written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
Nexus Ops is great, but its anything but diplomatic. Probably not what you're looking for.

I haven't played it myself but maybe look at Rex: Final Days of an Empire? Sounds like it hits what you're looking for, except the short part (looks like it takes 90-120 minutes to play, once everyone knows the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:
Nexus Ops is great, but its anything but diplomatic. Probably not what you're looking for.

I haven't played it myself but maybe look at Rex: Final Days of an Empire? Sounds like it hits what you're looking for, except the short part (looks like it takes 90-120 minutes to play, once everyone knows the game).

I've been watching that one, and it looks quite good to me, but I was wondering a couple of things. 1) Would people recommend it on its own without me prompting it, and 2) from what I can tell going through the reviews most people think you need the full 6 to really play it, and it suffers otherwise. We don't really have the full 6, and if we are lucky we'll swell to 5. I do want to get it at some point though. I'm just gonna wait till it fills a niche/ is practical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
I see a like new copy of Chinatown in the BGG marketplace - pretty sure that's around what I paid for my new copy. It's hands down my favorite negotiation game.

Thanks for pointing that out to me, as I just kinda glazed over the marketplace, as I usually do. Just pulled the trigger, and with any luck I'll have it reasonably soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You know what games are excellent regarding negotiations and backstabbing?

Games with money.

Chicago Express has light rules and plays in an hour, but the strategy is anything but light. Lots of alliances going on. One of the greatest games ever made.

If trading is a must, I personally really enjoy Lords of Vegas. Base game plays up to 4 but with the recent expansion, it plays up to 6. In this game, you can trade anything for anything, even actions. With a group predisposed to accusations, backstabbing, and scheming, this game is up there with the best.

Finally, Tammany Hall is one of the meanest games I've ever played. The warfield is lower manhattan, your soldiers are immigrants, and your ammunition against the enemy are political favors. Corrupt politics is the name of the game here and a well paired twosome can stomp over their opponents..... before turning on each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oddtime wrote:
Intrigue is a pretty fun game, and its inexpensive. Has paper money, but I recommend swapping it for chips. There really is no limit to how each player will manipulate others for better positions. I don't remember if the rules state hidden money, but I like that a little better if its not written.

Really a brutal game. Too brutal imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Da van
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nomoredroids wrote:
1775: Rebellion is a sure hit for your group. You're on teams, and there's a lot of cajoling/heckling/yelling going on.

Just played a 2 player unpublished variant on 1775 at game night and I enjoyed it. I would be excited to play it again with 4 ppl. We did face some mega AP though. More players would even it out though I'm sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah_Pook wrote:

Rex works best with 4 players, alliances allow for tactical advantages as well as ability sharing, and you can always backstab your alliance at the end and win solo.

Great game, and fairly simple once you've played a couple rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.