Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Eyrich
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Below is a list for my first Romulan fleet. I am playing in a OP 5 tournament later today. Below is my list and below that are the ships I own, so you know what cards I have access to. Also, the Tournament is not allowing Admiral Orders.

Any advice/suggestions (hopefully that don't require more expansion buying)?

Resource: Flagship Romulan (10)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Flagship (0)
Counter Attack (3)
Engage (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Bochra (1)
Ship SP: 45

I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Donatra (4)
Counter Attack (3)
Parem (1)
N'Vek (2)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 43

Total Build SP: 98

Generated by STAW Builder
http://www.dracossoftware.com/STAWHome.html

Note: I own the following:

2x Starter Sets
I.R.W. Valdore Expansion Pack
R.I.S. Apnex Expansion Pack
U.S.S. Excelsior Expansion Pack
U.S.S. Enterprise Expansion Pack
U.S.S. Defiant Expansion Pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at this list, Bochra, Parem, and N'Vek are arguably not doing anything for you. Is the OP5 a faction pure fleet only? If so, I'd think you should try for Plasma Torpedoes on something if you can instead. You may get a shot with those which if fired from either the Valdore or Khazara can pack a pretty big punch!

If you're not faction pure... the options just became limitless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rasmon wrote:
Below is a list for my first Romulan fleet. I am playing in a OP 5 tournament later today. Below is my list and below that are the ships I own, so you know what cards I have access to. Also, the Tournament is not allowing Admiral Orders.

Any advice/suggestions (hopefully that don't require more expansion buying)?

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Flagship (0)
Counter Attack (3)
Engage (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Bochra (1)
Ship SP: 45

I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Donatra (4)
Counter Attack (3)
Parem (1)
N'Vek (2)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 43

Note: I own the following:

2x Starter Sets
I.R.W. Valdore Expansion Pack
R.I.S. Apnex Expansion Pack
U.S.S. Excelsior Expansion Pack
U.S.S. Enterprise Expansion Pack
U.S.S. Defiant Expansion Pack

I'm not a big fan of Counter Attack. It seems good on paper, but doesn't work well in practice IMHO. I would put Attack Pattern Omega from Defiant on the Valdore.

None of your crew other than Tactical Officer is doing much, so I would look on those other ships (assuming this can be total mixed faction) and find someone else.

If you never want your Khazara to die, you could put Cheat Death and Sulu on it...

The biggest thing for this build is how to fly. You must be cloaked as much as possible and use your sensor echos! Try not to get into alpaha strike exchange. Hold off until you have a good shot.

My favorite tactic with this fleet is to "fly casually" seemingly away from the fight and then hard turn (2 or 3) towards the enemy and sensor echo so they are in your arc but you're out of theirs, focusing both your ships on one of theirs.

This takes some practice, but with Romulans positioning and patience make up for lack of Acitons and Battelstations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Eyrich
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your ideas. I updated the list as follows. Now I just need to come up with a backup plan in case it's a faction pure event. It does not say it is on the announcement, but maybe it is...

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Flagship (0)
Cheat Death (6)
Attack Pattern Omega (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Hikaru Sulu (4)
Ship SP: 51

I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Donatra (4)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 38

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Eyrich
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I end up having to play pure faction, I think I will try the below list.

Any further suggestions on either list are welcome/encouraged.

Romulan (Pure)

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Flagship (0)
All Forward Disruptor Banks (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Plasma Torpedoes (5)
Ship SP: 46

I.R.W. Khazara (30)
Donatra (4)
Plasma Torpedoes (5)
Interphase Generator (3)
Ship SP: 42

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my suggestion. It's faction-pure ships and from your collection.

I.R.W. Valdore (30)
Toreth (4)
Tactical Officer (3)
Total (37)

When you have a tactical officer you want to be taking target locks all the time so something like Sulu, which also needs an action, doesn't work so well.

U.S.S. Enterprise-D (28)
Jean-Luc Picard (6)
Engage (3)
Miles O'Brien (2)
Mr. Spock (5)
Total (44)

With Picard and Engage you can frequently stay out of your Romulan and Klingon opponents firing arcs entirely. The Enterprise-D can fire 360 and the Miles is there to break up any annoying combos.

Romulan Science Vessel (12)
Donatra (4)
Interphase Generator (3)
Total (19)

Just there to buff the other two ships. The Interphase Generator will tend to make your opponents shoot elsewhere, but if not it helps with a big hit.

Fleet total: 100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Eyrich
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Eyrich
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob,

I am in another tourney next week and they play faction pure but allow Admiral's Orders. I was thinking of using your build with United Forces and a flag ship. What do u think?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a slight preference for the command tokens over the flagship for this build, since the re-roll defense die pip can be a life saver for a whiffed defense roll on the Valdore. If you went that way, you would have five points left over for Antimatter Mines on the Enterprise.

Which flagship did you have in mind and on which ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its just one mans opinion but I find in a 2 ship build like this it usually works better to fan out and encircle the enemy. Donatra is not doimg much for you in a 2 ship fleet. I know that you are playing with what you have, but if you venue requires you to buy a ship for an entry fee consider picking up the Praetus or the Gal Gothong. In you build Valdor & the Romulan Commander might do more for you than Donatra.

Romulan ships are very maneuverable so splitting them up and making the enemy choose which to go after can give you an advantage. Sometimes using captains with short range buffs, ie. Donatra & Terrell, gives your opponent an idea of your move because you have to stay in close formation to get that buff. In a 2 ship fleet 1 extra attack is not always worth staying in such close quarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Mr. Baldrick about Donatra in a two ship fleet. I can't agree with his recommendations for Romulan Commander. He costs an action and gives you an aux power token for the dubious privilege of shooting first. That won't make any difference until you've gotten an opposing ship pretty close to dead anyway.

If you have to buy a ship for an entry fee, buy the Koranak. Practically every card in that expansion is top rate. Koranak, Gul Dukat, Captured Intelligence, Boheeka, Tetryon Emissions and Dorsal Weapons Array make a very strong ship.

Splitting up ones ships isn't a bad idea so long as you can be very sure that they will both arrive in shooting range of the enemy fleet on the same turn the enemy fleet gets into range of one of your ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mention the Romulan Commander because it looks as if he has to play faction pure. Unless he is switching to dominion the Koranak won't do him much good. In a pure build the Romulan commander is stil skill 7. Though I wouldn't us his ability in every trun. It is a nice option if you have a Picard, Khan, or Martok on the ropes and want to take them out before they shoot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tsuk
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if this is one of those eccentric venues that requires you to fly ships all from the same faction as well as have this ships be faction pure I'd recommend Fred fly from his Federation ships. The Romulans just don't have that much great stuff. Enterprise-D plus Excelsior plus Strike Force has been doing very well around me.

That said, if it has to be ultra-pure and Romulan and you have to buy another ship for entry I'd recommend buying a second Valdore. The generic is a pretty good ship and you'd get another Tactical Officer, who should be on every ship in an ultra-pure Romulan fleet. You can put Mirok on the generic, which I did for a long time and once or twice healed a warp core breach, which was nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Eyrich
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rob and Sodoff,

Thanks for all the help. My Federation fleet hasn't been doing so well, so I was kind of switching to Romulan and I was going to try Klingon as well (ships on order). I guess I need to put more time into researching the Federation, but the 4 agility dice on a cloaked ship seems very enticing!

I ended up running the last 98 point cross faction build I posted in the Tourney yesterday and won 2 of 3 games. Rob, I see your point about Sulu, he was wasted space in the fleet (and thematically I got the feeling that Toreth wanted to eject him from the nearest airlock ).

The Flagship I was thinking of going with was the Dominion Independent, as it gives a free target lock. I would have put it on the I.R.W. Valdore in yesterday's game, since I was really struggling on what to spend an action on each turn cloak vs. target lock and I want to make sure I have both every turn with that Tactical Officer.

I have not looked at the command tokens yet, but I will as someone was nice enough to give me a set.

I'll have the following ships added to my collection by Thursday:

U.S.S Equinox
Romulan I.R.W. Praetus
Klingon I.K.S. Koraga
Klingon I.K.S. Negh'var

The stores I have been playing at have the following house rules:

Store 1 & 2: Declare a faction, faction pure ships, but you can have different faction ships in the same fleet. The only difference between these two stores are one allows Admiral's Orders and the other does not.

Store 3: Cross faction anything, but no Admiral's Orders.

My stores require an entry fee, not a ship purchase. Since it's not an ultra pure fleet, I guess I will hold off on the 2nd Valdore, but I put a Gal Gothong and Koranak on my wishlist. It will likely be a few week before I can swing another purchase for this game though.

Rob's suggestion of the I.R.W. Valdore, U.S.S. Enterprise-D, and Romulan Science Vessel sounds interesting. I just need to figure out what I will spend the United Forces (+10) on. I'll consider the command tokens after I read up on them, a flagship, or maybe something in the Praetus pack when I get that later this week.

Thanks again for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.