7 Posts

Agents of SMERSH» Forums » General

Subject: Just got retail copy - do I need anything else? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a retail copy and I've started reading thecrules, and almost immediately noticed that thr setup instructions don't mention the Dr Lobo card. I then tried to search the geek and noticed a few threads about typos in the rulebook, BoE etc.

Can someone tell me what I need to play it properly?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your came with the big encounter book, then that's all you need to play properly.

There are some kickstarter items like travel dice and a couple extra spy characters and another henchman.

I only own the retail version and think it's great. I have a buddy in the game group that has the kickstarter additions and they are nice too, but not needed.

There's an expansion called Swagman's Hope that was a kickstarter last August I believe and was due out in February, but it's still hasn't been shipped to the backers yet.

Have fun and enjoy the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the fast response

I meant do I need any particular errata sheets or player-made rulebooks that are better/more accurate than the official one, rather than expansions or stuff like that. I'm a big FFG fan, so I'm used to rulebooks that are less than stellar, but the AoS one is one of the worst I've ever seen. The setup diagram for example is pretty much just a waste of space.

I've been playing a test solo game best I can, and I love the flavour text and other thematic elements, but I'd hate to get into any bad habits at the start due to mistakes/omissions in the rulebook. Once I'm totally clear on the rules, I think I'm going to love this game.

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mason
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Field Manual (rules) 2.0 is here in the files section. That is a must have. Even with those rules I made a cheat sheet for my group. It's not complicated or ambiguous, I just never found the format, flow, and organization of the rules to be compatible with my brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad B
United States
Van Buren
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
Deus Ex
mbmbmbmbmb
brautigan25 wrote:
Field Manual (rules) 2.0 is here in the files section. That is a must have. Even with those rules I made a cheat sheet for my group. It's not complicated or ambiguous, I just never found the format, flow, and organization of the rules to be compatible with my brain.

The updated rules is better so I recommend using it as a place to start. But it, like David, the rules still didn't "flow" for me. I do enjoy the game quite a bit, though. I watched some videos after playing a time or two (so I was already familiar with the rules) and picked up on some things I had wrong. I think I have it all down now, but it took several plays of what felt like trial and error.

These forums and videos are your friends.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Reitz
Germany
Mayen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend to use this Short Rules document (even instead of the rule book). It includes everything needed to play the game (except the 1 and 2 player setup instructions).
For my first 4 player game I didn't read the rule book at all (und used this document instead).

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KivasFajo wrote:
I'd recommend to use this Short Rules document (even instead of the rule book). It includes everything needed to play the game (except the 1 and 2 player setup instructions).
For my first 4 player game I didn't read the rule book at all (und used this document instead).

Michael

I've actually been using this lol. It was extremely helpful

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.