BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Descent 2nd edition or Level 7 Omega protocol rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samson The Dragon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoi,

after looking up a lot of dungeon crawler type of boardgames i'm left over with these 2 games. What game should i go for and why?
One big question for me is what game gives the best options as overlord?

thanks for your toughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruud
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Noord - Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the themes are completely equivalent for you (I like fantasy better than sci-fi for example). I would currently go for Level7: Omega Protocol.

The change from Descent 1.0 to 2.0 severely decreased the epicness of Descent and made all monsters spawns pre-configured. Personally, I think that's a loss compared to the free-form majesty of 1.0.
L7:OP gives the OL back that freedom and offers more choices and freedom.

Not that I dislike Descent 2.0, I still like it a lot. But I've bought Descent 1.0 after playing Descent 2.0 a couple more times. I think I like 1.0 just better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up selling Descent away because I knew I would usually ended up being the overlord, which I didn't like. Level 7's back-and-forth between alien and marine is much more appealing to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Havent played Descent. Ive played Level 7 a couple of times as a player and found it a bit underwhelming to be honest. Its one of those games where i saw the reviews etc and absolutely was convinced id love it, but actually playing it was a bit...meh.

Again, only played it a couple of times but the setup was long, and the playtime was 3+ hours for us. We played the first 2 missions and it all felt a bit samey.

As to the overlord, again it seems to be one of those games where the owner of the game will always be the overlord. The rules are complex enough that i doubt anyone but the game owner would want to step into the role, obviously other groups may differ. I will say tho that the adrenaline mechanic is cool. Hated the Line of sight rules tho.

If i want to play a overlord vs players type game i much prefer Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game. Quick setup, the game dosent go on to long, and anyone can step in and play the zombies. It also has great components. I thought the level 7 components were ok, but everything is very...grey.. which also kinda summed up the gameplay for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rune m
Denmark
Aarhus C
flag msg tools
Artaterxes wrote:
Descent is a great game as long as you don't compare it to the original, so I'd recommend that.

Was the orginal better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krosh wrote:
Artaterxes wrote:
Descent is a great game as long as you don't compare it to the original, so I'd recommend that.

Was the orginal better?

Highly debatable considering the length of play was roughly twice as long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samson The Dragon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm,

i still have my doubts about my choice..... i think the best dungeon crawler is with a overlord. It seems most people do not like to play as overlord. That's why i think my choice will be mostly based on the 'feeling' when you play as overlord. If there is someone with a better alternative let me know.....

thanks allready for all the answers!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Claustrophobia is amazing, and has by far the best "overlord" play I've tried. It's only two-player, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hall-Williams
United Kingdom
Derby
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Claustrophobia is amazing, and has by far the best "overlord" play I've tried. It's only two-player, though.

For game length, tension and number of scenarios (there are a ton of free ones to download) I totally agree.

Level 7 is a funny beast; it's not got as much personality as something like Descent and the fiction that goes with it is crap, but mechanically I love it, whereas Descent left me a bit cold. Descent felt like instead of playing the way you want to, you're playing to the mechanics of the game - Less 'run in and twat it', more 'move piece X to square Y'.

I feel that Level 7's tactics really reflect the soldiers' different play styles, though it suffers in terms of story and character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samson The Dragon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:

Yeah it does look very good, but i need something for more players (5).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.