badge
mb
It is a pleasure to introduce the next GotW:

Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb

His great painting skills showed at my monthly pimp contest focused me to this user

Roolz wrote:

Here we go...
First of all, thanks a lot to Helge for nominating me (and again for organizing the Pimp My Boardgame contest). That’s a great honor. Actually, I tought I’ll never be geeky enough to be nominated GotW, but I guess I was wrong....
Then, if you notice errors in the blurb hereunder, please bear with me. As hinted by the flag over my avatar, English is not my mother language.

So here’s a little gaming-oriented bio :

I was born in the early 70’s. I don’t remember precisely which games I played as a kid and young teen, but I’ll try to do my best...

As a kid, I remember having played traditional games: Game of Goose, War (card’s game), Pachisi, and so on.

Growing up, I remember the typical MB & Parker boardgames : Monopoly, Cluedo (Clue), and similar stuff. But also a bit of Checkers and Chess, though I didn’t like abstracts a lot. Still don’t today, except for rare exceptions. Now that I think of it, I even tried Go at school (I should have been about 11 years old). I’m pretty sure I sucked at Go even more than at Chess. But the stones were beautiful…
Anyway, I think my favorite boardgame was Cluedo. Probably my uncanny Sherlock-Holmesque deductive powers had begun to appear. Or I loved the mansion board and the monkey-wrench token. Or both. You choose.
The 80’s carried on. Lots of people had a box of Trivial Pursuit, I remember playing it regularly, with family and friends. At school (~junior high), I think we played mostly Tarot (French tarot) in between courses.

The late 80’s/early 90’s were high school time. This was my most intense gaming period.
I discovered RPGs (played several, but mostly Warhammer RPG & Stormbringer). And there was a new “breed” of boardgames coming out too, this was the golden age of now defunct French publishers Jeux Descartes, Ludodélire, & Siroz.
Me and my friends were playing when we were not partying… We had a common budget to buy games. All things considered I think we had a decent collection for the time it was and the age we were. As time went by, we played more card and board games than roleplays. Two games in particular come to my mind :
1) Space Crusade : We played this one to death, got both expansions, played them to death again… My brother still has the boxes somewhere.
2) Dune : We played this one to death and more. Countless times. The tokens are worn. The cards are so worn that I remade them some years ago, when I came back to boardgaming (unfortunately Dune rarely hits the table now).
At this time I also started painting minis, but we almost never used them for RPGs so it was more painting for fun.

Then (early to mid-90’s), I finished my studies in another corner of France. There was less gaming than in high school (due to working quite hard and partying quite hard too), but still. Played some RPGs (Vampire, INS/MV, and a couple other ones) and boardgames. Played a bit of Magic too (a friend had a heap of cards), but I sucked at it. I painted the occasional mini and even made a neat-ish diorama.

Late 90’s to late 2000’s nothing much to say, gaming-wise. Doing the army, getting a job, real life, other hobbies, etc. A bit of gaming and mini painting now and then, but nothing relevant I’d say.

I think I came back to boardgaming and mini painting around 2008. For various reasons, I wanted to paint minis again, and I noticed DooM boardgame in a nearby store. It reminded me of Space Crusade, had tons of minis, and was in Bruno Faidutti’s Library (his former website). Bought it, bought new paints, started to paint. Discovered BGG and used the various resources on DooM (pics, files…). After some time I registered to BGG. Around the same period, a couple of friends made us (me and my then-girlfriend-now-wife) try this Settlers of Catan thing.
You can guess the rest…here I am now.

I’d say I have a small game collection, compared to a “serious” Geek. I kept my old classics and buy a new carefully selected game now and then. I don’t get to play very often, say once a week (sometimes more, sometimes less), so there’s no point to me owning a ton of games I never play.
Typically I aim on light-to-medium weight games. If possible with minis (two birds with one stone). I dig playing with shiny bits, and I try to optimize gameplay and setup so I make player aids, tuckboxes, and other similar stuff. I'm of course a member of BGG's mini painters' guild (come say hello, we don't bite too hard).

Apart from gaming and painting minis, I enjoy : playing music, cooking, drawing, spending time with my wife and friends… And, as a typical French, I love all kinds of good foods and alcoholic beverages.

This leads (at last!) to my “2 truths and one lie” :

Poll
Roolz 2 truth and one lie for GotW thread
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
1) In France, I once ate a vanilla custard stuffed with pork pâté
61.4% 43
2) In Peru, I once ate a roasted guinea pig
21.4% 15
3) In Thailand, I once ate a sauté of praying mantis
17.1% 12
Voters 70
This poll is now closed.   70 answers
Poll created by helgerehwald
Closes: Sat Apr 5, 2014 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Flux
United Kingdom
Cropwell Bishop
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Tally Ho!
mbmbmb
Yay Roolz!

Congratulations!

Now questions......

1Your mini painting is well known among many on the geek, which is your favorite project you've finished?

2Recently you've been pimping games with a 3D printer to great effect, what's next on the list?

3Living where you do have you ever cycled any of the Tour De France routes?

4What's longest you ever worn facial hair and what style was it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
20100 Turku
flag msg tools
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellec
badge
and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!
Tadpoleface wrote:
1Your mini painting is well known among many on the geek, which is your favorite project you've finished?

It's hard to say, actually I like all of them...
Quote:
2Recently you've been pimping games with a 3D printer to great effect, what's next on the list?

I have on my painting list a new custom mini (3D printed), and a couple of other stuff on which I'm trying some hand-sculpting.
Quote:
3Living where you do have you ever cycled any of the Tour De France routes?

Not as far as I know. Though they change the itinerary each year, so I might have cycled on a a past or future section. Odds are thin.
Quote:
4What's longest you ever worn facial hair and what style was it?

Mmmm... Not sure... about 2cm long, not more. Style: Probably regular beard, or goatee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreikkaturkulainen wrote:
Congratulations!

Thank you! Kiitos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Good on you Roolz! Good to see the miniature painters of the 'Geek getting represented.

Here are my queries:

What's your favorite kind of miniature to paint?

What's your favorite painting technique?

Are there any miniature painters out there that you really admire?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
'Gratz, Roolz. cool

Q. Does bretzel liquide = beer?

Q. Do you ever play "real" miniatures games, ie., Warhammer, Confrontation, that sort of thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Too late, too late" will be the cry…
badge
…when the man with the bargains has passed you by.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grats! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
braveheart101 wrote:
Good on you Roolz! Good to see the miniature painters of the 'Geek getting represented.

Thanks Euen !

Quote:
What's your favorite kind of miniature to paint?

If the mini looks cool and the tooling and material are good, I'm generally happy.
I tend to prefer "realistic" models (med-fan, SF, modern, whatever, but I never painted historical).
I'm not a fan of the cartoonish sculpts (like the chibi minis, or the traditionnal GW "stole my grandma's jewelry and equipped the whole armory"), though they can look great when well painted.
Quote:
What's your favorite painting technique?

The one that makes the mini look cool in the end! I simply use the techniques I know decently... your typical drybrush, wash, glaze, highlights. I never do NMM, mostly because I prefer realistic looks and feel.
Quote:
Are there any miniature painters out there that you really admire?

I truly admire most of the pros (such as you or Jay Adan here on BGG). In France we have quite a few awesome painters, Jeremie Bonamant, Julien Casses, but the list of talented people I admire all over the world is just too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orcoteuthis wrote:
'Gratz, Roolz. cool

Tack Andreas!
Quote:
Q. Does bretzel liquide = beer?

Nope, it's just one of the trademark expressions of my avatar, in the comics.
As far as I know it makes no sense.
Quote:
Q. Do you ever play "real" miniatures games, ie., Warhammer, Confrontation, that sort of thing?

Almost never.
I played a few "real" mini games in my 20ies (40k). I've tried more recent games too (Conf', AT-43, Eden...), but I finally realized using a tape bothers me . I like my squares/hexes/areas. Plus these games are mostly 2-player... Hard to make 2-p games hit the table here at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichMedia wrote:
Grats! meeple

Thank you Paul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, I love your painted minis. Lovely to see you here & well deserved.
Faves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunshiny wrote:
Congratulations, I love your painted minis. Lovely to see you here & well deserved.

Thanks Melody !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. Rexford
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Thufferin Thuccotash!! It'th Cold out Here!
mbmbmbmbmb

C
ongratulations Roolz!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Incao
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Buy Stronghold Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Roolz!
Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royston McRoystonface
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
This is the Sun - it is not an Orange
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Roolz - have a great week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Roolz! Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Immonen
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
"Ain't nothing to it / microbadge made me do it"
badge
"Move the Pawn, Luke"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Roolz! Enjoy your week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb

CONGRATULATIONS

Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Questions:

d10-1 What is your most favorite game mechanic and why?
d10-2 What game are (were) you most looking forward to in 2014?
d10-3 If you could game with a celebrity of your choice, who would you choose and why?
d10-4 If you could add, delete or change something about BGG, what would it be and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pyuredeadbrilliant

What took you so long? Here's to my favourite Frenchman and and one of the best miniature painters I have had the pleasure to follow on this site, Le Concombre Masqué.

All the best,

Jim.....mb

Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakob Bavnshøj
Denmark
Brøndum
DK-9500 Hobro
flag msg tools
designer
NOW
badge
Visit us at www.osterskov.dk
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Roolz. Hope you will have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
winterplum wrote:

C
ongratulations Roolz!

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pincao wrote:
Congrats Roolz!
Enjoy your week!

Thank you Paul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Royston Gamer wrote:
Congratulations Roolz - have a great week

Thanks Stu !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boisse wrote:
Congrats Roolz! Enjoy your week!

Thanks/merci Chris !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.