Subject: Environment: The Great Temple rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
A Secret Chamber is found in an ancient Temple.

Inside there are treasures, and three weapons.
Rumors spread quickly of the power these Artifacts wield, and quickly those who seek that power respond.
Can you stop the Artifacts from falling into the wrong hands? Can you survive the Temple long enough to do so?

The Great Temple

Instruction cards: 1

Shrine of Ancient Power:
This card is indestructible.
When an Artifact of power would be destroyed place it in the play area of the deck that destroyed it and restore its health to full instead, any artifact moved this way is indestructible until the end of the current turn.
Artifacts are immune to damage and destruction from the same type of deck (hero, villain or environment) that controls them.
At the end of the Environment Turn the Villain target with the Highest HP deals each Artifact (H)-1 Melee damage.

Artifacts: 3

The Staff of Curses 6
When this card enters play search the Environment deck for the Shrine of Ancient Power and put it into play, shuffle the Environment deck.
The first time each round that the highest hp target from the deck that controls this card deals damage this card deals all other non-environment targets (H)-2 Infernal damage.

Spear of the Heavens 7
When this card enters play search the Environment deck for the Shrine of Ancient Power and put it into play, shuffle the Environment deck.
Whenever the target with the highest HP from the deck that controls this card deals damage to any target, this card deals that target 1 irreducible Radiant damage.

Hammer of the Gods 7
When this card enters play search the Environment deck for the Shrine of Ancient power and put it into play, shuffle the Environment deck.
Increase damage dealt by the Highest HP target from the deck that controls this card by 1, that damage is irreducible.

Other Cards: 11

Defender of the Temple 10hp (3)
At the end of the Environment turn deal the Villain Target with the lowest HP then the Hero Target with the Highest HP (H)-2 Melee and (H)-2 Fire damage.
If this card destroys a target, it destroys all Artifacts.

Treasures of the Ancient Gods 3hp (3)
This card is immune to environment damage.
If this target is dealt damage immediately activate the End of turn text of the Highest HP Defender of the Temple in play.
If this card is destroyed search the trash for a Curse of the Temple and place it in the play area of the deck that destroyed this card.

Curse of the Temple (2)
If this card would be played from the top of the environment deck, discard it instead and play the top card of the environment deck.
If this card is in a deck play area, deal every target from that deck 1 irreducible toxic damage every time a card from that deck enters play.

Remnants of the Ancient Power (3)
When this card enters play reveal cards from the top of the Environment deck until an Artifact is revealed, put it in play and shuffle the Environment deck.
Increase damage dealt to and by all targets from a deck that controls a relic by 1.
At the start of the environment turn, destroy this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
A few notes:

The "play area" of a deck is only mentioned in the online play guide from the official site. (http://sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/gameplay)

The play area and "deck that controls them" language is kind of new to SotM, but I don't think it is hard to follow.

The Artifacts move to the play area, and enhance the deck that controls them at the time.
They remain Environment cards, and can be destroyed by environment destruction or by reducing their HP to 0.

The Staff of Curses is different from the other two as it deals damage to all targets other than the one that wields it, instead of altering damage.

I changed it to Highest HP target to give heroes like Unity and The Sentinels some wiggle room. You generally want to avoid a damage dealer having control of the staff, but you don't want the villain or environment controlling it either.
Remember that it remains an environment target, so Legacy's Danger sense will always make him immune to it, no matter who wields it, and Smoke Bombs/lead from the front will never redirect the damage.

It has some nasty synergy with self damage, so be careful with that.

Remnants of Ancient Power boosts the Artifacts even more, but with a cost. It is designed to feel like the ancient power is trying to come back. It presents some interesting decisions.

the ancient treasure and the curse is mostly to give some respite to the deck, and an interesting twist. The curse summoning a defender is to keep heroes from getting the villain cursed and laughing all the way to victory. Those defenders hurt.

Overall the intent is to speed up the match, give it some crazy swings and introduce some tough decisions.
Let me know what you think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Some cool ideas, haven't fully processed but two quick notes:
1. Spear of the heavens has infinite loop problems. You could non-radiant the trigger but Twist the Ether still gives you the loop. I've never seen a good way to fix this other than to make it first time each turn.
2. Is there supposed to be a way to kill the Ancient Power? It's not unreasonable to have no heroes/villains with environment killers, and at 3 copies it seems like Artifacts could get locked up fast and often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Good points.

1. I'll change it to work like Apostate's Gauntlet, making the spear the source of the damage.

2. With 3 copies of the card I'll give it a start of turn destruct clause., on further look I decided to go back to an earlier version that pulled an artifact.

EDIT:
realized I messed up and added the last line of text to the Shrine, At the End of the Environment turn the Villain target with the Highest HP deals each Artifact 2 melee damage.

This text is important when you deal with Villains like Voss who never do anything to the Environment deck, it kind of ruins the feel of trying to stop the villains from getting ahold of the relics if they never do anything that will ever acquire them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that you don't want the Curse to be played by itself. But then it just discards itself to no effect. Did you consider having it play another environment card in its stead when this happens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
I originally had that, but I found the deck was overwhelming. With a few wasted turns here or there (treasure with no Defender in play or curse in trash, or curse playing from the top) it balances nicely.

It feels a bit like Tomb of Anubis, in that it can overwhelm you if you aren't careful, but it isn't a constant smack in your face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.