Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Duke
United States
Edmond
OK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are big fans of Dominion. I'm interested in Thunderstone and saw that it's starter set us on clearance at Cardhaus. First, what do you think about Thunderstone and second, is this starter set the way to dive in? I'd also appreciate any explanation about the difference between the basic set and Thunderstone Advance. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone is a pretty good game, though I have issues with its length. Unless you're playing the solo variant, the game tends to go a lot longer than what I feel is an appropriate time frame for the game. Also, there's not much variety out of the base game's box, but this can easily be remedied with expansions. I especially enjoy the Root of Corruption expansion that adds a co-op mode for 3+ players.

If you decide to get it, make sure you get Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin. This is the base set of the rebooted version of the game. There are a couple of other stand-alone sets, but this is probably the best place to start. The original version is still playable, but it's not as user-friendly with the symbols on cards (You can try the old version for free on Facebook, I believe).

I noticed you rated Dominion a 7. A lot of people tend to compare Dominion and Thunderstone as being very similar games, though I think the theme of TS sets is apart. I would still much rather play Dominion for its concise time frame, but TS does have a lot going for it that Dominion doesn't.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the starter set, but from what I've heard you're much better off buying Thunderstone Advance: Towers Of Ruin. You get much more variety in that box than in the starter set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.