51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Why isn't this a published subject? The Emu War rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
10,000 flightless birds vs the Australian Army.

Summarizing the culls, ornithologist Dominic Serventy commented:
“ The machine-gunners' dreams of point blank fire into serried masses of Emus were soon dissipated. The Emu command had evidently ordered guerrilla tactics, and its unwieldy army soon split up into innumerable small units that made use of the military equipment uneconomic. A crestfallen field force therefore withdrew from the combat area after about a month."

After the withdrawal, Major Meredith compared the emus to Zulus, and commented on the striking maneuverability of the emus, even while badly wounded.
“ If we had a military division with the bullet-carrying capacity of these birds it would face any army in the world...They can face machine guns with the invulnerability of tanks. They are like Zulus whom even dum-dum bullets could not stop."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emu_War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ICONOCLAST

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds promising for miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Sounds like a good Pete Belli project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
This Memorial Day weekend, do not thank a veteran. Say a prayer of thanks for those in our military who gave their last full measure of devotion, and all their tomorrows, so that we could enjoy today and all OUR tomorrows.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if it's related to this:

The Emu Export War
The officers and crew of USS Los Angeles spent 4 days in Perth WA in January 1983. The port visit followed 2 months of arduous sustained submarine operations in the Western Pacific and Indian Ocean. While in Perth, the tired crew discovered a local brew, Emu Export lager. By the end of the port visit, the frosty tasty beverage, along with the friendly inhabitants of Perth, had laid waste to the wardroom and crew. And so we went back to sea for 2 more months of arduous sustained submarine operations so we could recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Goodknecht
United States
Bourbonnais
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

I recall reading about this a couple of years ago and Pete was my first thought also. Of course it would be done with Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition!

One thing I found amusing when I first read the story was that after the 'engagement' the commander reported that he had suffered no casualties. But still, to be beaten by these guys:

Although admittedly, that last one does have an attitude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q : Why isn't this a published subject? The Emu War

A : People would get too emotional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which battle-rifle would the emus use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a wargame, such a war should be easy to emulate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Which battle-rifle would the emus use?

Whatever calibre of rifles that could use their emunition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Who knew trench warfare could be such fun?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

Go nicely with The Cod Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

It will be near the top of my scenario development list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
No Expectations wrote:

Emu or Emo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
Switzerland
Basel
Basel Stadt
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Capitaine Conan," by Roger Vercel (1934).
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Make sure you include the Emu anti-cavalry factor. Horses are terrified of emus. Learned that first-hand one day riding by an emu farm in northern Florida!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pete belli wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

Fingers crossed there are declassified AARs and war diaries in some archive to help you get all the details right. Researching the emu oob can be a challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Fung
United States
Old Greenwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
pete belli wrote:
Wilhammer wrote:

Fingers crossed there are declassified AARs and war diaries in some archive to help you get all the details right. Researching the emu oob can be a challenge.

Ha! I was going to make a crack about the OOB research given the other forum topic... I'll just settle for...

Will the 114th Emu Assault Battalion be represented? What is its combat factor and movement allowance?

What's the replayability for this game?

Players wanna know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Bird
Australia
Western
flag msg tools
Hello all,

While I have respect for this Pete Belli and suspect he is capable of creating a fine treatment of the Emu War from the human perspective, I would like to submit that the Emu War is a subject best left to Emus. The Great Emu War was a dark time for our species and as humans were the "victors" of the conflict, our story has never been fairly told.

Until now. I Richard H. Bird, an emu, along with some other very talented birds have opened a new design group entitled EMUlation Games: Aves Historical Simulation.

Our first release, I'm happy to announce is Great Battles of the Emu War Vol. 1: A Crestfallen Field designed by yours truly. The map will be rendered by our in house artist Mark Simofinch and counter art will be handled by veteran graphic artist Roger B. McGrousean.

It is my hope that Pete does still complete his design after whatever it is on his list that could be more important than covering this atrociously forgotten conflict. It is always a benefit to have all sides of the story available when history is considered. Caw.

And that is why it is also my hope that you, the wargaming community will embrace this, the first ever wargame created by an winged designer with an open heart and your $59.99 pre-order, available soon on our upcoming website.

Thank you,
-Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardHBird wrote:
Hello all,

While I have respect for this Pete Belli and suspect he is capable of creating a fine treatment of the Emu War from the human perspective, I would like to submit that the Emu War is a subject best left to Emus. The Great Emu War was a dark time for our species and as humans were the "victors" of the conflict, our story has never been fairly told.

Until now. I Richard H. Bird, an emu, along with some other very talented birds have opened a new design group entitled EMUlation Games: Aves Historical Simulation.

Our first release, I'm happy to announce is Great Battles of the Emu War Vol. 1: A Crestfallen Field designed by yours truly. The map will be rendered by our in house artist Mark Simofinch and counter art will be handled by veteran graphic artist Roger B. McGrousean.

It is my hope that Pete does still complete his design after whatever it is on his list that could be more important than covering this atrociously forgotten conflict. It is always a benefit to have all sides of the story available when history is considered. Caw.

And that is why it is also my hope that you, the wargaming community will embrace this, the first ever wargame created by an winged designer with an open heart and your $59.99 pre-order, available soon on our upcoming website.

Thank you,
-Richard

I volunteer to maintain the P500 geeklist for EMUlation games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Bird
Australia
Western
flag msg tools
wifwendell wrote:

I volunteer to maintain the P500 geeklist for EMUlation games.

Thank you, Mr. Wendell. We value your willingness to collaborate. EMUlation games values its collaboration with non-feathered gamers as it does its commitment to historical accuracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Oh gods, not another Bird game on some obscure topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Bird
Australia
Western
flag msg tools
Seeing as you are some kind of North American finch, Mr. Viglino, it surprises me and to a degree disappoints me that you are not excited to have the bird voice heard in this great hobby. I'm afraid you can't please everyone, but it's especially hard to please bird apologists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard H. Bird
Australia
Western
flag msg tools
Sorry about the glare. Emu's are a great many things, but photographers we are not. At any rate, here is the first draft of the Emu Wars playtest map courtesy of Mr. Simofinch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Another source of a slightly embellished kind.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Emu_War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Concerning Rules:

Morale.

In the first Edition of Tom Swift Sparrow morale was linear increased as the size of a unit went up.

Respectfully submit that the inverse should be true for EWS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of the chicken!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Both an emu and a kangaroo appear prominently on the Australian coat of arms..oddly enough both animals are regularly eaten in some form or another..mind you we'll eat just about anything here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.