Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a game with unknown superheroes. I'd rather play with characters from Wyrd city than Marvel or DC characters. With unknowns, there's no 'disconnect' from the game and what we really 'know' the superheroes can do.

That being said, the official page talks about the superheroes from Wyrd city coming from some sort of unknown short story series or something. Does anyone have a link to it or a summary of who the heroes are? What's the background story?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
House of Nine's homepage has a pentagram, the second page has a large picture of a goatdevil, Robin Spriggs has written mostly horror, and lists himself as a magician (apparently not as a joke). Given those things, I wouldn't really be surprised if the game has a flavor of moral equivalency (no difference between good and evil). I wouldn't really mind if that just means there are no 'good characters' or 'bad characters'. Maybe they're all complex beings with superpowers with their own agendas. That'd be fine. Or if they're all just generic, and in some scenarios some are 'good' and in other scenarios others are 'good'. I wouldn't mind that either. This goes back to the advantage of playing with superheroes we've never heard of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
You fellas can rest easy. I met Robin Spriggs at DragonCon last year, and he seemed like a super nice guy. In addition to signing my copy of Wondrous Strange, he conducted the demo of Capes & Cowls that I took part in.

As for the moral perspective of the game itself, it certainly seemed kosher to me. As a matter of fact, its level of moral complexity struck me as being pretty darn high for a superhero board game. At the same time, though, it had a distinctly iconic feel that took me back to my own personal golden-age of comics--namely, the 1970s.

Good guys, bad guys, in-between guys: all seemed present to me. It reminded me of Saturday morning cartoons back in the good ol' days, but with a bit more edge and angst, thrown in for good measure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elvisx wrote:
At the same time, though, it had a distinctly iconic feel that took me back to my own personal golden-age of comics--namely, the 1970s.

Good guys, bad guys, in-between guys: all seemed present to me. It reminded me of Saturday morning cartoons back in the good ol' days, but with a bit more edge and angst, thrown in for good measure.

Fabu! Do you recall any specific information about the characters themselves? Names, powers, etc.?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clarence Chambers
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
She-Wolf wrote:
Fabu! Do you recall any specific information about the characters themselves? Names, powers, etc.?

I remember one of my teams very well. It consisted of Nightshade, Red Rook, Fantazm, and the Golden Rocket.

I'm a little sketchy, however, on the specifics of their super powers. What I do recall (and am crazy about, by the way) is that the powers were not duplicated. In other words, each hero had a unique set of three powers.

The Red Rook, for instance, was the only pure flyer in the game--that is, he was the only hero that possessed the actual power called "Flight." Other heroes had powers that were Flight-like, but each such power functioned in a way that made it different from Flight itself, as well as from any other Flight-like power. The Golden Rocket, for instance, had a Flight-like power called "Blast-off."

As for the other heroes on the above mentioned team, all Fantazm's powers were ghost-related (very cool), while Nightshade--the purple-clad hero featured in most of the images available on this page--drew on some sort of nocturnal energy source that he could harness and wield in a variety of nifty ways.

Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Elvisx wrote:
I remember one of my teams very well. It consisted of Nightshade, Red Rook, Fantazm, and the Golden Rocket.

I'm a little sketchy, however, on the specifics of their super powers. What I do recall (and am crazy about, by the way) is that the powers were not duplicated. In other words, each hero had a unique set of three powers.

The Red Rook, for instance, was the only pure flyer in the game--that is, he was the only hero that possessed the actual power called "Flight." Other heroes had powers that were Flight-like, but each such power functioned in a way that made it different from Flight itself, as well as from any other Flight-like power. The Golden Rocket, for instance, had a Flight-like power called "Blast-off."

As for the other heroes on the above mentioned team, all Fantazm's powers were ghost-related (very cool), while Nightshade--the purple-clad hero featured in most of the images available on this page--drew on some sort of nocturnal energy source that he could harness and wield in a variety of nifty ways.

Thanks for the appetite whetter, Clarence! I'm loving it--especially the whole unique powers thing. The idea of each hero having a completely different set of powers from every other hero in the game is just too cool for words.

In addition to the characters you mentioned, I'm pretty sure I can make out a couple of others (Elastra and Frostbite?) from the cards in the photo of the game spread. I may be able to make out one or two more, but I'm afraid to say for sure. With your four and my two, here's what we've got so far:

ELASTRA (Yay! A girl!)
FANTAZM
FROSTBITE
GOLDEN ROCKET
NIGHTSHADE
RED ROOK

That's six out thirty-two heroes! Can anybody add to the list?

P.S. How many girl heroes are included in the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Sean! Your peepers are a lot sharper than mine. I thought I had three or four of those, but you definitely take the prize. So now, if our eyes don't deceive us, we've got:

BARON NECRO
BATTERY MAN
BROWN RECLUSE
DIABLO AZUL
DEMONIAC
ELASTRA
FANTAZM
FROSTBITE
GOLDEN ROCKET
HOTSHOT
MOLE
MYSTERIA
NIGHTSHADE
RED ROOK
SERAPHA
STAR KNIGHT
TENEBRO
TIME MEISTER
YGG

Gosh! When you see 'em stacked up like that (alphabetized by your friendly neighborhood librarian), it sure does look like a lot of characters. And that's not even half the heroes! Nor does it include any of the chracters on the smaller gray cards; can you make out any of those?

Girl count so far: 3 (not bad, but a few more would be nice).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is one of the 3 females the Hulk-ish looking female on the cover? If not, then that's 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Estes
United States
La Vergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding backstory:

I got to read a slew of Wyrd City character bios at the demo I participated in--not just for the heroes, but for the supporting cast as well. Fun, dramatic, highly alliterative, and over-the-top in just the right way, they evoked that sense-of-wonder quality that's hard to find in most of today's superhero comics. Really great stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla Harper
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
Is one of the 3 females the Hulk-ish looking female on the cover? If not, then that's 4.

You're right! And now that you mention it, there are two other girls on the cover--a fiery one and a feline one. That makes at least six. Huzzah!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gordon seahorn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Looks like a great assortment of characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls