Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this has been answered somewhere but I am really failing at finding the info again.

I wish to play a blessing of Sarenrae to boost a Fortitude skill check. The effect however only mentions Constitution. If I follow the golden rule, I should not be able to use it... But, damnit, fortitude says constitution + 3. So it kind of is constitution, no? Pease say yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any skill that uses a primary skill of a certain type becomes a check of both types. So if your Fortitude says it's Constitution +3, then the check is both a Fortitude Check and a Constitution Check, and cards relevant to both Fortitude and Constitution can be played.

I'm not sure why you think the Golden Rule is relevant here, though.

Rules V3 wrote:
Play Cards and Use Powers That Affect the Check (Optional).
[...]
Some cards and powers affect only specific types of checks, such as Dexterity checks, Acrobatics checks, or noncombat checks. If, on your character card, the skill you're using refers to another skill, both skills count for the purpose of determining the type of check.

Do keep in mind that this only works one-way. You cannot play a card that can be played only on a Fortitude Check when the check is just a Constitution Check, because Constitution does not refer to Fortitude. Fortitude refers to Constitution, but not the other way around.

-

Also, just a little extra preemptive information that may assist you further. When a check gains one or more traits, it also becomes that type of check.

For example, let us say a character plays a bow that says "For your Combat Check, you may roll your Dexterity or Ranged Skill +1d6." and the bow has the Ranged trait.

The character doesn't have the Ranged Skill on his/her character card, but has a Dexterity of d10, so he/she chooses to roll his/her Dexterity Skill die instead of defaulting to the 1d4 for using a skill that the character doesn't have. The check is now a Combat Check, a Dexterity Check, and, even though the character isn't using the Ranged Skill, it also becomes a Ranged Check, because the bow gave the check the Ranged Trait. In doing so, any card that says it can be played on a "Ranged Check" becomes usable.

Also take note of what slaybalj says below concerning using a skill not listed on your character card. If a character doesn't have a skill, then the character doesn't have that skill and uses a d4 as the die, regardless of the 'normally associated' skill that might be seen on other characters' cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot DP. I really need to bookmark this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: if your character does not actually have the fortitude skill, then you would only be able to add another 1d4 to a fortitude check.

The fortitude check would only be considered a constitution check for characters that actually have the fortitude skill listed and referencing constitution.

I am going to guess you're playing kyra?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed And I really did not want to miss acquiring the juicy boon (magic shield +1)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.