Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, as is my norm, I'm a good 5 or 10 years behind the times here - but thanks to another post in Chit Chat (seriously, I should probably stop relying on Chit Chat for news and events!) I've finally discovered Pandora. I've spent the last hour or two here being pleasantly surprised at the choices it's offered.

I'm wondering, though, if I'm overloading my station. It's kind of like losing myself in Wikipedia - Pandora will play a song, I'll thumb-up it, and see 2 or 3 bands I like listed in the 'similar artists' which I'll also add to my 'add variety', which will remind me of another song that I'll add... etc... etc...

Is there a danger in this? Should I try to be more lenient when liking tracks or adding songs/artists? I'm trying to limit it to stuff I really, really like - so my thought is if I add a bunch but it really IS stuff I like a lot, this will help in the long run when it's picking tracks (and so far, seems to be working - I haven't heard anything I haven't enjoyed listening to, including two songs I've never heard before).

Also, on the free version - is there a time limit? A few minutes ago, Pandora hit the end of a song - and just stopped. I couldn't figure out how to start it again, so I closed the window and reopened, and it started right up - but was wondering if there is a session time limit or something on the free version.

Last thought - the pay version, honestly, doesn't seem worthwhile. Am I missing something that does make it worth it?

(Oh, and I'm learning some interesting things about my musical tastes - who knew I went in for 'extensive vamping', for example?? )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always change your thumb from "up" to "down" when a song plays. The free version stops after some time and asks "are you still listening" Click "yes" and it starts back up

I don't pay for Pandora and don't really mind the ads and breaks.

Apple has a service also - iRadio (?) that you should look into
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't thumb much on Pandora, mostly because I'm nowhere near the devise to which I'm listening. I have, however, tried adding variety to my stations, with mixed results. Here is where I think Less may be More. Better to have lean stations, I think, and then shuffle some select stations.

I do pay for Pandora, but only because for Christmas we got a Blu-Ray player that streams content, and I like putting Pandora on in lieu of conventional radio. No commercials is pretty nice, and the annual subscription is not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that down-thumbing songs allow me to customize stations much more than up-thumbing. By blocking out some songs, certain traits are no longer available to that particular channel, allowing it to focus more on the other traits that are not blocked.

For example, I have three different stations that feature 70's music. But because of how I've edited each, each (an album rock channel, a pop channel, and an R&B/soul channel) has very different sounds to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
I find that down-thumbing songs allow me to customize stations much more than up-thumbing. By blocking out some songs, certain traits are no longer available to that particular channel, allowing it to focus more on the other traits that are not blocked.

For example, I have three different stations that feature 70's music. But because of how I've edited each, each (an album rock channel, a pop channel, and an R&B/soul channel) has very different sounds to them.

Hmmm... maybe this is what I need to do, then. I tend to envision one big 'things I like!' channel - but the problem is, some songs I like, I'm just not in the mood for right that second...

Customizing several different channels would allow me to create different sounds, as you've said - this sounds like a pretty good idea...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

Hmmm... maybe this is what I need to do, then. I tend to envision one big 'things I like!' channel - but the problem is, some songs I like, I'm just not in the mood for right that second...

Customizing several different channels would allow me to create different sounds, as you've said - this sounds like a pretty good idea...

I've got about 8-10 different country music stations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

This does allow you to have more focused music based on your mood. I don't hear Maxine Nightengale's "Right Back Where We Started From" on my Led Zeppein channel, nor do I hear Jigsaw's "Sky High" on my soul channel.

I do have a "mixed radio" station, too. I get some weird sequences, such as The Crystal Method followed by Frank Sinatra, followed by Pink Floyd, followed by Andrea Bocelli, followed by Goblin...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
jeffreyac wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:

I've got about 8-10 different country music stations.

And I thought you were cool soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandora has about half the music Last.fm has

Is easier to use, easier to customize and has less ads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altair IV wrote:
Pandora has about half the music Last.fm has

Is easier to use, easier to customize and has less ads.

lol - I have no knowledge of how accurate the article is, but found it funny that the first thing I locked on to when I looked for more info was this:

The slow sad death of last fm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Make different stations. One where you go hog wild, one just for genre A, one just for genre B and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've subscribed to the pay version of Pandora for two years now (for $36 per year I think) mainly because it removes the ads and gives me much longer between when it asks if I'm still listening. It also theoretically provides higher audio quality but I can't tell the difference and provides a desktop app, which is not a big deal. I guess I also do it because I like the service and want to support it, kind of like supporting BGG I guess. Anyway, I used it for a while before deciding to start paying, but one birthday a couple years, decided to give myself the random present of subscribing, and am happy I did. Just my two cents.

As for thumbing stuff and adding variety, as others have mentioned, I like to create lots of different stations that are more customized rather than one big station that likes everything, but it's all a matter of preference of course. I do have one station where I just throw everything I like together in a jumbled up pot, but tend not to listen to it as much because I'm in the mood for a narrow type of music often from one of my more specialized channels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't listen to it as much as i used to but i have a list of stations and some i don't use anymore but what when i do its enjoyable since i took in some cases a lot of time to create a good station.

for example by use of the thumbs i have been able to create a female vocalist station. though ocassionally a male or an odd group comes into the mix its rare.

the thumbs can be dangerous though since on station i have shouldn't be thumbed one way or the other since it spins the station in odd directions.

one trick i've used when creating a new station is to use your 6 downthumb/skips an hour and spend a day or two when not listening just scan through 6 or so songs use your thumbs and sign out. that is what lead me to a lot of the stations i have since there is more imput.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.