TJ H
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I own TS and like it. So I thought I may like 1989 : Dawn of Freedom as well because it is from same designer and has very similar mechanic.

However, I realized that this game got way much less attention in BGG than TS while many people liked TS. So I am wondering if this game has less fun than TS or something.

Maybe it is just because it is relatively new; however, it is still rated by just 1,000 people which I found to be really small (war of the ring 2nd edition got 2K votes even if it is the almost same game). What would be the other reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Theme?

More people are area aware and perhaps more directly affected by the Cold War than the events of 1989.

edited to correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Theme?

More people are area and perhaps more directly affected by the Cold War than the events of 1989.

Exactly. While historically significant, the events captured in "1989" are much more of a niche interest, compared to the totality of the Cold War which is the setting for "TS". I'm sure "1989" is a very good game for what it seeks to protray, but the subject does not trigger any gaming interest on my part whatsoever. I don't think I'm alone in that regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
i havent played either, but TS is rated #1 on BGG and generally has really positive word of mouth around it. i would guess that if someone is looking for a game like this theyre probably going to pick up TS just because its more well known/rated, while 1989 is a newer and lesser known variation on the same theme. and if someone already has TS they might very well not feel like they need TS 2: The Cold War Strikes Back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zaid
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also that box art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I lived through 1989, Americans didn't give a SH@@IT about the Eastern Block nations...

They were simply satellites of the USSR. Only the Berlin Wall was a big deal...And most Americans couldn't even tell you where it is...

Hungary, Poland, Rumania, Czechoslovakia? LOL good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
For now.
flag msg tools
badge
mb
ASLChampion wrote:
Only the Berlin Wall was a big deal...And most Americans couldn't even tell you where it is...

I'd hope they could tell you it was in Berlin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Shauneroo wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:
Only the Berlin Wall was a big deal...And most Americans couldn't even tell you where it is...

I'd hope they could tell you it was in Berlin.

You're giving too much credit to the average American's level of common sense. We are a thick-headed lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree about the subject matter. TS just has many more interesting events and occurrences than 1989 does. It depends on your perspective though.

Also, I personally didn't care for 1989, even though TS is one of my favorites. It felt very different, and not really in a good way. I can't really put my finger on why, but if you're thinking about getting it, I'd recommend trying to track down a copy of 1960: The Making of the President instead. I get as much enjoyment out of it as I do TS, even though it's a little bit lighter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:
I lived through 1989, Americans didn't give a SH@@IT about the Eastern Block nations...

They were simply satellites of the USSR. Only the Berlin Wall was a big deal...And most Americans couldn't even tell you where it is...

Yup.

This map is probably the most accurate, 95% of people living on the other side of Atlantic Ocean could draw (it's really pretty good):

But trying to locate particular Eastern Europe countries? Not likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so Americans don't want to play 1989 because the USA isn't in it. What about gamers from the rest of the world? Do they care about the topic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoss Cartwright
United States
California
flag msg tools
Because there was nobody to program software that automatically clicks the game you like so that it has more appeal. What goes on this hotness is weirdo's that spend all day clicking crap so people will look at it. Almost worse than people who roll down all the windows and blast horrible music--like they want to be in charge of promotion or something. Idiots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Campbell
United States
Fort Payne
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:
ASLChampion wrote:

Yup.

This map is probably the most accurate, 95% of people living on the other side of Atlantic Ocean could draw (it's really pretty good):

But trying to locate particular Eastern Europe countries? Not likely.

Thanks for not thinking we're all idiots and think the world looks like this:

Seriously, some of us try our best at geography. The last time I took a geography quiz, I do believe that my biggest flaw was misspelling Kyrgyzstan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you name a game after a year, you're not targeting a mainstream audience.

Brazil also had its first democratic elections in 29 years in 1989, but nobody eurocentric would care about that. Or that Motley Crue released the album Dr. Feelgood. Now that would have made a good game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hovan
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASLChampion wrote:

I am a second generation American of Czech and Slovak descent and proud of it. Yes, most Americans are world ignorant, including Eastern Europe. I am proud to not have that ignroance (just the other ones I have.....).

I think the game is weak and very unbalanced. After 4 plays of it (two with each side), I was very glad that I did not spend my $ to buy it. I had great hopes and was sorely disappointed. So was my war gaming bud who played in all 4 games with me. Just an opinion from one guy (and referencing another guy).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just the theme. The games are similar and ts was the ground breaker. Sequals never get the same press as the original even if they are better. The theme probably does have less general appeal (not to me though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it suffers from not being better than TS, while also being too similar. I played 1989 couple of times, just to check it out, but at this point, there's no reason I'd every play it over TS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cristian Raut
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in one of the countries depicted in the game but that alone was not the factor that made me want to play the game.
I only played the game because I love TS and have it rated as 10.

For me Twilight Struggle is simply a better game, more fluid, more tense and more balanced. 1989 feels more chaotic in a sense (these conclusions are also based from the scopes of the games, one of them is about decades of tensions, the other is about a few months of rapid changes)

Also the ratings to me suggest that TS is perceived as a better game (8.33 vs 8.09), more so because even people who don't really like this genre have tried TS and some have rated it low because of that, but most of the people who played 1989 love the genre already and probably didn't find the design to their satisfaction.

These are just speculations on my part, but my answer to OP's question would be: because TS is a better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bahaus wrote:
These are just speculations on my part, but my answer to OP's question would be: because TS is a better game.

Inconceivable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.