Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Recharging rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been playing this game for just over a week, and I'm a bit puzzled about recharging.

As far as I can tell there are two types. Firstly, if Ezren plays a spell, and it says at the bottom "Arcane 6 to recharge instead of discarding." Then I need to roll a 6 for an arcane check [well, a 4, as he is +2 for Arcane.]

the type that are puzzling me, are the other type.

Merisiel - if she's alone at the location has "recharge a card to add 1D6 to a combat check" (or something like that, I don't have the card with me)
- does that mean I have to find a card with a recharge ability, and pass that test? or can I just pick any card in my hand and stick it on the bottom of my deck to add a D6?

sorry if this has been asked before, but I had a bit of a search, and couldn't see it anywhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mightyjim wrote:
Merisiel - if she's alone at the location has "recharge a card to add 1D6 to a combat check" (or something like that, I don't have the card with me)
- does that mean I have to find a card with a recharge ability, and pass that test? or can I just pick any card in my hand and stick it on the bottom of my deck to add a D6?

sorry if this has been asked before, but I had a bit of a search, and couldn't see it anywhere

You can recharge any card in your hand for this ability. It is automatically recharged without any roll needed.

Note that Merisiel's other ability to discard the card to add 2d6 to the roll means the card is discarded, even if it does have a recharge ability. Recharge checks listed on cards only apply when you are playing that card for its ability, never when paying it as a cost for another ability, or discarding it for damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Merisiel can Recharge any card she has in hand (well, the player has in hand...). Recharging can be automatic (like Merisiel) or dependant on a check (like spell Recharging). Likewise, if Lini should Discard an animal Ally for any use listed on it's card, she can recharge that Ally, automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Recharge" is simply the action of placing the card at the bottom of your character deck.

Rulebook v3 p9 wrote:
When you play a card, it will usually require you to take one of the following actions.
• Reveal: Show it from your hand then put it back in your hand.
• Display: Place it faceup in front of your character, unless stated otherwise; the card’s powers function until it’s discarded.
• Discard: Put it into your discard pile—a stack of faceup cards next to your deck.
• Recharge: Put it facedown at the bottom of your character deck.
• Bury: Put it under your character card (likely losing access to it for the rest of the scenario).
• Banish: Put it back in the box, shuffling it in with the other cards of the same type (thus losing it for good).

Keep in mind, you are only playing the card if you activate its power. Sometimes, you have to do one of those actions with a card, but you aren't activating its power.

Rulebook v3 p9 wrote:
Playing a card means activating that card’s power by revealing, displaying, discarding, recharging, burying, or banishing that card. Doing something with a card that does not activate that card’s power does not count as playing that card.

So when Merisiel recharges a card for her 1d6 power, she isn't playing the card she recharges. She is just following the instructions for activating her power. And her power doesn't say anything about what kind of card she can recharge, so anything is in her hand will suffice.

The Rulebook explains the Recharge box that appears on some boons (mostly Spells and Items) cards.
Rulebook v3 p15 wrote:
Recharge: This explains circumstances under which you may recharge the card—put it on the bottom of your deck—after playing it; it usually appears on cards that you would otherwise be required to discard. Usually, recharging requires a skill check; if you don’t have at least one of the skills listed for the check, you cannot attempt to recharge the card. If, while attempting another check, you play a boon that you may be able to recharge, resolve the current check before attempting to recharge the card. The boon is in play (and does not count as being in your hand, in your deck,in your discard pile, or elsewhere) during the intervening time. (This check applies only after you have played a card—when a card’s power directs you to recharge it as part of playing it, and does not specify a check, you don’t have to attempt a check to recharge it.) You cannot recharge a card you are forced to discard, or one that you choose to discard as part of taking damage or resetting your hand at the end of your turn.

So when Ezren plays a spell, he has to discard it (place it in his discard pile), but there is a condition under which he can instead place it at the bottom of his character deck. When he plays it, it is sort of in "limbo", he completes the action of playing it, then attempts to fulfill the recharge condition (usually a check).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.